PDA

View Full Version : civic drinks gas like a big boy truck

uho
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
buddy of mine his 97 civic ex(d16y8) is getting mpg's like a truck anyone know why?

*EFilliated*
04-11-2011, 10:08 PM
there is tons of reasons y it might be

blown_ss
04-11-2011, 10:14 PM
buddy of mine his 97 civic ex(d16y8) is getting mpg's like a truck anyone know why?

you win info of the year award. it could be anything. does he have any engine lights? how does he drive? does he take care of it? when was the last tune up? see where im going? give us some info and maybe we can help you out.

Echonova
04-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Based on your detailed description it sounds like the #2 and #3 injectors are stuck wide open, your friend probably has not noticed the problem (other than the gas mileage) because he drives with the VTEC engaged full-time.

uho
04-11-2011, 11:20 PM
ha my bad guys lemme find out some more info see if i can get some better details, i do know his check engine light is on(i think he said he knows why its on) lemme find out whats up though

Tech5
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
timing
tune up
O2 sensor
And performance add ons
some installed 660cc injectors on a stock motor lol

uho
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
okay so he said the reason his check engine light is on is bc of the idol control valve. so would that have anything to do with his gas?

slostang
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
okay so he said the reason his check engine light is on is bc of the idol control valve. so would that have anything to do with his gas?

Yes. If its stuck open it could be dumping excess fuel to compensate for the IAC fault.

uho
04-12-2011, 06:46 PM
^ okay thanks man, i told him that he should try fixing that first. so i'll tell him he needs to fix it and see if that fixes the problem

.:Stirfry:.
04-12-2011, 07:17 PM
yea like the other guys said could be several things. basic tune up. o2 sensor readings, fuel trim readings, tires, wheel bearings, CELs, the way he drives. what kinda mods. etc.

Tech5
04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Unless it's idling up and down due to the CEL for the IACV that code will not cause it to burn more gas . So if it's idling fine then ,don't worry about that code just yet . Check other problems that has an effect on GAS being wasted .

chip P.
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
any news on the mpg problem?
it could be hes got a leak somewhere even beofre fuel gets to the injectors. has he checked for it? you could get a fuel pressure gauge and just stare at it for awhile.
if thats not the case and hes dumping tons of gas into the cylinder you would def be able to tell. black smoke would be coming out and youd be able to smell it, not to mention a loss of power from running that rich.

uho
04-18-2011, 12:16 PM
well he has no leaks. were guessing it's the idle control valve for now bc that is what is making his engine light come on so whenever he decides to fix it hopefully that's the problem

chip P.
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
ive replace the IACV in both my integras and i never saw a CEL. im not if that will even cause a cel. the 2 things i know for sure that will though are the o2 sensor being disconnected/bad connection and main relay malfuntion. and i doubt its the main relay because youre able to start the car. its more likely the o2 sensor, if its got a faulty connection then its probably causing your car to stay in an open loop air/fuel mix. which is more rich if you didnt know.

Captain-Obvious™
04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
ive replace the IACV in both my integras and i never saw a CEL. im not if that will even cause a cel. the 2 things i know for sure that will though are the o2 sensor being disconnected/bad connection and main relay malfuntion. and i doubt its the main relay because youre able to start the car. its more likely the o2 sensor, if its got a faulty connection then its probably causing your car to stay in an open loop air/fuel mix. which is more rich if you didnt know.

It definitely will cause a code.

I am running my Integra with both o2 sensors missing right now, and I'm still averaging 30 mpg.

chip P.
04-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Well i guess im remembering wrong. as for the o2 sensor, just throwing stuff out there that hadnt been suggested yet.

Tech5
04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Well i guess im remembering wrong. as for the o2 sensor, just throwing stuff out there that hadnt been suggested yet.

Well its one thing offering advice if you know it's the problem or some what could be the problem . Logically speaking your advice failed to be the truth ....AS I STATED A IACV WILL NOT MAKE IT BURN MORE GAS UNLESS THE ENGINE IS REEVING UP AND DOWN... IF IT'S IDLING NORMAL AND JUST A CODE IT WILL STILL GET GREAT MPG .

chip P.
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
you feel like my saying the o2 sensor was not a good suggestion? i wasnt throwing out things just to be in the thread. i just felt like an o2 would be worth checking to help solve his problem.
i dont disagree with what you said about the IACV burn more gas

Tech5
04-19-2011, 09:29 PM
you feel like my saying the o2 sensor was not a good suggestion? i wasnt throwing out things just to be in the thread. i just felt like an o2 would be worth checking to help solve his problem.
i dont disagree with what you said about the IACV burn more gas

WELL he didn't say he had a CEL on because of a O2 Sensor:thinking::thinking: