PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods CRX+LS+NOS=??

SRCRX
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
So, I have a REX, it's got a B18a1 in it. and I took it to the track this past weekend,
and the times, well lets say I need help (more power), I have a ZEX dry kit new in the box, that has just
Been sitting.

My question is should I stay on the safe side with the 50 shot, or use the 75,100 shot jets??

I would like to hear from LS NOS users, or anyone else that has been around
B ser. and NOS!!

Thanks!!

r_Senik
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
do the 75-100, ive been in a ls/crx back then with a 50 shot, i wasn't impressed.
but later on the road he just boosted it instead...1000x better than spryaing.

88NaCivic
04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Slap the 75 in first see what happens, then your gonna want to put in the 100 jet.I ran mine on the 75 jets..

justnprsh07
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Still not gonna be happy... any thing past 75"wet" you need something else on ignition and got to start playing with timming

SRCRX
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I know an ecu and a tune, is going to be needed for the best outcome, I am just Trying to figure out the best way To get out some more power
Out of what I have, and then
Make improvements along the way.

But ya I think the 50 shot is not
Going what I'm looking for,
Thanks for the input!

Sent from my Conrad's IPhone in outa space!!

SRCRX
04-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Slap the 75 in first see what happens, then your gonna want to put in the 100 jet.I ran mine on the 75 jets..

Ya Chris I thought u were going to say that...lol

Sent from my Conrad's IPhone in outa space!!

Echonova
04-12-2011, 03:12 AM
You might not like what I have to say...

I had a CRX with a B16 and got a Zex kit when they first came out. A 50 shot netted a whopping 23 more @ the wheels, 75 brought it up to 49 more... Plus I went through two of the "control" boxes because they wigged out and if I armed the master switch it was spraying. Ended up ditching it and going with a NOS system.

Now to Zex's credit they sent me a new box each time, and I'm sure they fixed the problem (again, they were brand-brand new when this happened) or they wouldn't still be in business. Really "user" friendly system and easy to set-up, although the box takes up a bit more room than other systems. I did however LOVE their purge valve. Worked better than any other brand.

But back on topic: 50 shot you could get away with running a colder plug and that's about it. For a 75 I would run 2 steps colder plugs and dial back your timing.

SRCRX
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
You might not like what I have to say...

I had a CRX with a B16 and got a Zex kit when they first came out. A 50 shot netted a whopping 23 more @ the wheels, 75 brought it up to 49 more... Plus I went through two of the "control" boxes because they wigged out and if I armed the master switch it was spraying. Ended up ditching it and going with a NOS system.

Now to Zex's credit they sent me a new box each time, and I'm sure they fixed the problem (again, they were brand-brand new when this happened) or they wouldn't still be in business. Really "user" friendly system and easy to set-up, although the box takes up a bit more room than other systems. I did however LOVE their purge valve. Worked better than any other brand.

But back on topic: 50 shot you could get away with running a colder plug and that's about it. For a 75 I would run 2 steps colder plugs and dial back your timing.

No Echonova it's not that I don't want to hear what you have say, This is the info. that I'm looking for!! I'm trying make up my mind on if I should even put it on, It's just that it's been in a box for about 3 or 4 yrs and I was thinking that it would be a great time to use it!!
I'm guessing that you did dyno your REX to come up with those numbers??
Did you ever run that setup at the track??

Echonova
04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
No Echonova it's not that I don't want to hear what you have say, This is the info. that I'm looking for!! I'm trying make up my mind on if I should even put it on, It's just that it's been in a box for about 3 or 4 yrs and I was thinking that it would be a great time to use it!!
I'm guessing that you did dyno your REX to come up with those numbers??
Did you ever run that setup at the track??Yeah, my friend owned a shop with a dyno when I lived in AZ. Installed it 50 shot -dyno, Installed 75 shot - dyno'd again. Never took it off the rollers. Just changed the plugs and going to 75 and dialed back the timing a smidge. When I switched to the NOS system a 75 shot gave me 75 at the wheels after some fiddling. Switched to a 2 stage wet setup after that.

Ran the Zex kit at the track once... That was the first time the box stuck "on" (found that out at the end) Ran a 14.8 @ 98 with a 2.5 60'. The launch could have been better (obviously) but after it stuck open I didn't run again that night.

justnprsh07
04-12-2011, 08:41 PM
this comes back on my saying that just because you put what is called a "50 shot" on your car does not mean you get 50hp in some cases you get less or even more

Echonova
04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
^^ Indeed.

BTW: I would put it on if I were you. If you already have it... Why not?

Just never hit below 3,000rpms or run it longer than 15secs at a time. Have fun. IDK about running that 100 shot without tuning for it though.

Edit: Also if you have a metal intake tube and your battery is in the stock location... Make sure it does not contact the battery terminal. Having your NOS line start smoking going down the road is not fun.:no:

SRCRX
04-13-2011, 02:28 PM
this comes back on my saying that just because you put what is called a "50 shot" on your car does not mean you get 50hp in some cases you get less or even more

YA, that point hit home with me, that's one of the reason's I was thinking of not putting it on!!

But like Echonova said, why not!! I've had it in the box for a few yrs. and I have never messed with NOS.
the REX is a toy that I have been working on, and now that I have been able to get it on the street, I want to use it as a tool to learn from
and see what happens.

from what you guys have said I will gain SOME more power, just bolting it in and to make the most of it it will have to be tuned!!

Motivation
04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Remember that nitrous isn't for making horsepower as much as it is for making torque. I don't think you'll be happy with a small shot to be honest with you. If you give the motor enough fuel and mess with the timing your motor won't mind a bigger shot. In my honest opinion, a 50 shot is a wasted effort. I'd go 75 or more.

Theycall_Metue
04-14-2011, 12:51 AM
is the motor still in a good health? very little to no burning oil. ls will hold just fine, though would be perfect with a vtec head.
start small and work your way up. 35,50,75. if you back fire, it'll be small.
go with a wet shot, its less headache, less money, way safer.

i made 161 with a bolts on jdm d15b with a wet 50 shot. (nx brand)

justnprsh07
04-14-2011, 08:10 AM
YA, that point hit home with me, that's one of the reason's I was thinking of not putting it on!!

But like Echonova said, why not!! I've had it in the box for a few yrs. and I have never messed with NOS.
the REX is a toy that I have been working on, and now that I have been able to get it on the street, I want to use it as a tool to learn from
and see what happens.

from what you guys have said I will gain SOME more power, just bolting it in and to make the most of it it will have to be tuned!!

O I deft agree.. I have had nitrious on basically everything I've ever owned... from racing gokarts to fourwheelers jetskis and all mycars

southside
04-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Friend ran 150 shot on rebuilt ls and held fine car still drives to this day sprayed car at least 3 times a day .So I mean as long as you play with timing and get plugs your good.

SRCRX
04-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry, guys been out of town, I'm going to hook the kit up and START with the 50 shot,plugs, and mess with the timing and maybe I can find I a good deal on an ECU soon.

Lots of good input thanks!!