PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Long or short gear tranny?

chaseamundo
03-30-2011, 07:54 PM
So i have been in debate with a buddy of mine over whether or not a long gear tranny is better for boost vs short gear and it has me thinking. I always thought short gear is better for NA and long gear for boost. Can someone WITH EXPERIENCE point me in the right direction here.

I dont know if it matters but the motor we are debating over is a 2.2 which is more Trq (in honda scene) and looking at big 16G size turbo.

Thank you,
Chase

blown_ss
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
longer gearing is better for boost any day. just think about how much you would be shifting with a short geared tranny with boost. turbo cars build pressure over a rpm band and you dont get your max boost just because you floor a car it comes at a certain rpm. max boost=max hp. with that said with a long gear tranny you will be at max boost/hp for a longer time.

chaseamundo
03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Thank you. thats what i was thinking but i had to make sure i was right before i continued to argue haha. thanks man.

RBS
03-30-2011, 09:46 PM
longer gearing is better for boost any day. just think about how much you would be shifting with a short geared tranny with boost. turbo cars build pressure over a rpm band and you dont get your max boost just because you floor a car it comes at a certain rpm. max boost=max hp. with that said with a long gear tranny you will be at max boost/hp for a longer time.

depends on how much power your going to make. if your not making a big amount of power, you might want to consider a kinda short transmission thats geared for acceleration ... although if you have ALOT of power to pull then a long tranny will do great

blown_ss
03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
depends on how much power your going to make. if your not making a big amount of power, you might want to consider a kinda short transmission thats geared for acceleration ... although if you have ALOT of power to pull then a long tranny will do great

this is true too. i was just talking in general. i would rather have a short geared tranny any day for boost.

chaseamundo
03-31-2011, 05:52 PM
whats your idea of big power? like 300?

RBS
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
whats your idea of big power? like 300?

hell no LOL, 500+ would justify a uber long tranny in my eyes

chaseamundo
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
ok, so im better off with short gear haha bc im shooting for 300

RBS
04-01-2011, 08:08 AM
ok, so im better off with short gear haha bc im shooting for 300

you will love it, as long as you get a turbo that supports your power goals (300ish) and spools uber quick WITH a close tranny, it will feel like a nasty dope all motor car

chaseamundo
04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
I like.....Love that idea haha

Drummerboy
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
longer gearing is better for boost any day.

i would rather have a short geared tranny any day for boost.

...huh?

I personally love my F22 tranny (long gears) with boost. I made 347whp, 313 trq and never felt like my tranny was holding me back. I've considered an H22 tranny, but I drive too much on the highway to have gears that short.

chaseamundo
04-01-2011, 10:59 PM
drummerboy, you need to clear your inbox haha

this is off topic but when you made 347hp, what was done to your motor?

Bc im thinking ima do a factory oem rebuild on the head, arp headstuds, cometic headgasket, and oem rods and pistons.

Looking to make 300hp.(possibly going to get bisimoto forged rods and pistons)

JKOBD
04-03-2011, 09:37 AM
A shorter geared trans will out accelerate a longer geared trans anyday on paper. The issues come into play as to when you can not get the power to the ground effectively or you are out of rpm/mph and need to go to a longer geared tranny. My car made 800+whp and went 15Xmph in the 1/4 and I am using an ITR trans. If you can get the power to the ground and have the rpm/mph that you need, go with the shorter geared trans.

Berta
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
A shorter geared trans will out accelerate a longer geared trans anyday on paper. The issues come into play as to when you can not get the power to the ground effectively or you are out of rpm/mph and need to go to a longer geared tranny. My car made 800+whp and went 15Xmph in the 1/4 and I am using an ITR trans. If you can get the power to the ground and have the rpm/mph that you need, go with the shorter geared trans.

Well said!!!