PDA

View Full Version : CEL Code 43- Fuel Supply System (92' Honda Civic Lx)

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 01:45 PM
So this issue Im currently having all started after I filled my gas tank up with fresh gas from 1/4 tank to full tank. What my civic is doing & only seems to do it when Im in 5th gear around 2000-2500 RPM is "Bump" (feels like it skips) & when im running 1st gear-5th gear I feel it holding back in power then it kicks in & runs stronger.

I have already replaced the Fuel Pump about a year ago & Fuel Filter about 8 months ago.

So what does that leave? Fuel Pressure Regulator & Injectors?

Please help me out with this!

Tech5
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
the fuel supply code 43 is set and has 3 different diagnostic trees, two of which lead to replace o2 sensor.

at the dealer when a car comes in with a 43, it's an automatic start with heated o2 sensor. hook up the multimeter, run the engine at 3000 rpm, and watch the voltage. if it's switching between .1V - .9V too slowly, it's loosing it's touch. replace it. never use an o2 sensor not designed for your car, especially an OBDII lambda sensor in an OBDI engine.

lambda sensor is bad

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Sounds good but I don't have a meter to test it! Is the "lambda sensor" often referred to as the "oxygen sensor" will the be the sensor that plugs into the lower portion of the OEM header?

If it's not the "lambda sensor" that your referring to what is the other diagnostic since 2 of 3 lead to the "lambda sensor"?

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
I also forgot to mention that when I pulled the code 43, I had "1" fast flash like the second # that flashes when I diagnosed it by jumping the plug with a paper clip to get my "CEL" to flash to get the code! Is that normal or is that another issue?

Tech5
03-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Yes NORMAL then it will continue to blink the code .... Sounds like you did that part right and yes O2 sensor is the Lambda Sensor ....

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Is that sensor located on my oem exhaust manifold?

Tech5
03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Correct !

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Okay, is there anyway to check the sensor?

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
That sensor will cause the problems that I'm having? Loss of power at take off & through the gears then regains normal power & feels like a skip in 5th gear around 1500-2000 rpm?

Tech5
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes but you have to have the tools to do it and knowledge ...As it would take me to long to type how to , youtube

Testing O2 sensor

and it will pull up plenty on how to

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I've been reading in different forums & the o2 sensor causes the issues that I'm currently having! So after I replace it the sensor, how do I go about resetting the "ECU" to lose my "CEL"?

blown_ss
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I've been reading in different forums & the o2 sensor causes the issues that I'm currently having! So after I replace it the sensor, how do I go about resetting the "ECU" to lose my "CEL"?

you dont have to reset anything. if the problem is fixed then the cel will go away. but if you feel that you need to reset it all you have to do is remove the neg on your battery for like ten min.

a94civicex
03-30-2011, 09:53 PM
you dont have to reset anything. if the problem is fixed then the cel will go away. but if you feel that you need to reset it all you have to do is remove the neg on your battery for like ten min.

Sounds good, just wasn't sure if it needed to be reset or not!

Tech5
03-31-2011, 12:02 AM
ALWAYS disconnect the battery while your replacing anything electrical

Tech5
03-31-2011, 12:03 AM

Not always true

a94civicex
03-31-2011, 04:28 AM
ALWAYS disconnect the battery while your replacing anything electrical

No worries, I always do because I'm not trying to have any current zap me, lol

a94civicex
03-31-2011, 04:30 AM
So most definately the "o2 sensor" can cause all the issues I'm having?

jdmalltheway
03-31-2011, 07:46 AM
my was the ecu....i replace with a p06 chip ecu

a94civicex
03-31-2011, 07:53 AM
my was the ecu....i replace with a p06 chip ecu

I'm going to replace my o2 sensor 1st, because if it was my ECU wouldnt it struggle to turn over & or not turn over at all? Mine turns over without any hesitation at all.

Tech5
03-31-2011, 01:32 PM
O2 can cause this yes

I never say it's the ECU until I have tested and searched everything else I hate when I hear a Mechanic that seems to be smart 1st words out of his mouth is ECU ...I know it's the ECU!!

And the ecu can cause problems , but I doubt it on this case .

BTW don't use NO Bosch O2 sensor !!!

Use Factory NTK

a94civicex
03-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Well I had to run some errands & ran the gas down to the red & only got 230miles out of the tank of gas & when I filled it up $35 worth, lol I drove the car another 45 miles & not once did it bog or studder, so maybe it was "bad gas-water" because it hasn't done it since! I also picked a Bosch o2 sensor up brand new at autozone, thanks "cprtyler" & I haven't installed it yet! Should I continue drivin the car until it acts up again & if it does, replace the sensor?

Tech5
04-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I would NEVER use a Bosch O2 sensors they are ALL junk!!!

Bad gas could have been the culprit so yes wait and see ....return that junk!

jdmalltheway
04-01-2011, 09:12 AM
O2 can cause this yes

I never say it's the ECU until I have tested and searched everything else I hate when I hear a Mechanic that seems to be smart 1st words out of his mouth is ECU ...I know it's the ECU!!

And the ecu can cause problems , but I doubt it on this case .

BTW don't use NO Bosch O2 sensor !!!

Use Factory NTK

i'm not trying to be a smart mechanic but i was just telling him how my problems was..

jdmalltheway
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm going to replace my o2 sensor 1st, because if it was my ECU wouldnt it struggle to turn over & or not turn over at all? Mine turns over without any hesitation at all.

my wasn't struggling to start or turn over and it had the same situation as yours....i just try a new ecu and it work...only did that because had one of them laying around...

a94civicex
04-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Well it's not bad gas, it started acting up again last night & only seems to do it in 5th gear at 1500-2000 rpm & rolling 30-45 mph behind slow drivers, lol. Anyways just thought I'd give y'all heads up on it!

Tech5
04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
reason its only doing it in 5th is because its such a load and low rpms ... Have you done a tune up on it lately>?
plugs wires cap and rotor ?

*EFilliated*
04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a fuel restriction some where, I kno u said u change the fuel filter 8months ago, I would think about that being the problem again, its possible for the filter to be clogged again, check injectors and fuel rail

Black4DrEK
04-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I dont think its the fuel filter..

I would do some new Plugs, ect....

Tech5
04-02-2011, 08:13 PM
I have yet have a stock HONDA fuel filter cause a issue like this and I have seen some with 200k miles with out ever been changed

*EFilliated*
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
true, idk i dont feel like there is really enough info giving to determine the problem, so many things that could be out of wack

I have yet have a stock HONDA fuel filter cause a issue like this and I have seen some with 200k miles with out ever been changed

94_teg_ls
04-02-2011, 11:25 PM

287xxx on my stock filter 4 swaps later no issues

mitch lab
04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Check the injectors filters. Sometimes if its clogged it will cause this.

a94civicex
04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
The o2 sensor will be changed out today, how do I go about checking the fuel injector filters, out of the 28 cars I've owned I've never had to mess with fuel rails/injectors, so that is new to me!

Parts replaced in the last 8 months:
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
NGK Spark Plugs
Standard 7mm Wires

Parts not replaced in the past 8-12 months since I've owned it:
Distributor Cap Rotor Button
Fuel Rail/Injectors
ATCV
TPC

Keep in mind my sohc non vtec zc swap only has 82k miles on it & the car is used for DD. Getting it resolved is a concern because I hate driving it like this!

a94civicex
04-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I didn't get the o2 sensor out yet because a 7/8 wrench wasn't cutting it & I didnt want to round the edges, I'm renting the actual spark plug socket to make it easier today!

*EFilliated*
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Ur problem is definetley in the fuel supply, don't go out changing spark plugs and stupid Shit like these kids on here be saying

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/luismerchan/IMAG0139-1.jpg

a94civicex
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, after using the o2 sensor socket (having no use for it & deciding to just cut the original o2 sensor wires & use a 22mm deep socket with 2ft breaker bar it broke loose after 1 push) & bleeding knuckles it seems to be running alot smoother, now I just have to figure out why the hell my a/c stopped working (condensor fan won't turn on & compressor won't kick on), it worked perfect before the new o2 sensor was installed. if it's not 1 thing it's always something else & no fuses are blown, any suggestions to what it could be, lose connector or wire?

By the way the oem sensor was warped & burnt all up, lol

Tech5
04-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Ur problem is definetley in the fuel supply, don't go out changing spark plugs and stupid Shit like these kids on here be saying

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/luismerchan/IMAG0139-1.jpg

Your're stupid Let me see your ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION

AND THEN TALK TO ME !!!!

I have been doing this a lot longer then you have been alive

*EFilliated*
04-06-2011, 09:33 PM
huh? wtf u talking about, as far as i know u a grown ass man, i wasnt talking about u. y would i call some1 who has much more experience then me a kid?

Your're stupid Let me see your ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION

AND THEN TALK TO ME !!!!

I have been doing this a lot longer then you have been alive

hadouken
04-07-2011, 12:45 AM
children children calm down.. lol

a94civicex
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Damn, getting away from subject here people, if you don't know what your talking about please do me a favor & go take the "bullshit" some place else!!!!

BTW: cleaned my IACV out the other day, it was disgusting black & chunks of crap stuck in the screen. Took brake cleaner & sprayed it out! After a good cleaning & air dry, I assembled it back together & started my car up & my idle was very low 200 rpms & I ended up having to tighten up my throttle cable up to bring my idle up to 800 rpms! Was it okay to do that? Gas peddle seems a little stiffer than before but it runs 10 times better after the new o2 sensor & IACV cleaning!

*EFilliated*
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
by adjusting the Throttle cable all ur doing is hiding the problem, but if thats what u wanna do then cool, G/L

Damn, getting away from subject here people, if you don't know what your talking about please do me a favor & go take the "bullshit" some place else!!!!

BTW: cleaned my IACV out the other day, it was disgusting black & chunks of crap stuck in the screen. Took brake cleaner & sprayed it out! After a good cleaning & air dry, I assembled it back together & started my car up & my idle was very low 200 rpms & I ended up having to tighten up my throttle cable up to bring my idle up to 800 rpms! Was it okay to do that? Gas peddle seems a little stiffer than before but it runs 10 times better after the new o2 sensor & IACV cleaning!

Tech5
04-12-2011, 12:02 AM
At the top of the throttole body between the 2 bolts that holds the TB on to manifold is a small gray slot that is for a small flat head screw driver ...Turn it out until you get your correct idle ...The cable needs to be back like it was you are just forcing it to idle and not correcting the issue .... If that slot doesn't help you have a vac leak somewhere or a sensor issue.

a94civicex
04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
At the top of the throttole body between the 2 bolts that holds the TB on to manifold is a small gray slot that is for a small flat head screw driver ...Turn it out until you get your correct idle ...The cable needs to be back like it was you are just forcing it to idle and not correcting the issue .... If that slot doesn't help you have a vac leak somewhere or a sensor issue.

Yeah so what your saying is adjust the throttle cable back down to where it was idling at (around 200rpms) & then adjust the flat head screw that's on the TB. I know what your talking about & where it is- I forgot I could adjust that, it was late when I got it put back together so it completely slipped my mind!

Tech5
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah so what your saying is adjust the throttle cable back down to where it was idling at (around 200rpms) & then adjust the flat head screw that's on the TB. I know what your talking about & where it is- I forgot I could adjust that, it was late when I got it put back together so it completely slipped my mind!

CORRECT !!!!

a94civicex
04-13-2011, 04:38 PM
CORRECT !!!!

I adjusted the throttle down to where it was before since & turned the TB intake screw out & it sounded like my intake started sucking more air in & I left that alone, hopped in the car to read my rpm gauge & it's reading 750-850 in that range & idling alot smoother!