PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of gas now wont start

MistaCee
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Ok I got a 2000 honda civic si with a b16 in it. Ran out of gas (Dumb on my part) and now it wont start after I put some gas back in it. I changed the fuel filter and plugs and it still will not start. It will only crank and not turn over. I checked for cells but I only got a p0113. Fuel pump still works also...and its getting spark. Anyone know what else it could be?

-EnVus-
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok I got a 2000 honda civic si with a b16 in it. Ran out of gas (Dumb on my part) and now it wont start after I put some gas back in it. I changed the fuel filter and plugs and it still will not start. It will only crank and not turn over. I checked for cells but I only got a p0113. Fuel pump still works also...and its getting spark. Anyone know what else it could be?
undo the line to the fuel rail and make sure its getting fuel the pump can still work but be clogging or weak from trash

MistaCee
03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I did that already

Also at one point I had the car to where it was running at idle but as soon as I hit the gas it would stall out.

slostang
03-20-2011, 08:39 PM
could be a low fuel pressure issue. just because its running dosent mean its producing the proper pressure.

MistaCee
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Yea thats what im thinking thanks

-EnVus-
03-20-2011, 10:08 PM
I did that already

Also at one point I had the car to where it was running at idle but as soon as I hit the gas it would stall out.
That sounds kinda like a Maf issue also

MistaCee
03-21-2011, 04:37 AM
I changed the maf sensor also

FasTech
03-21-2011, 05:33 AM
I'd go with pressure issue first, also. If the pump is working and you've already covered the other things you stated, it has to not be getting enough gas.

MistaCee
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Ok can anyone give me any ways to clean the lines or it has to be the fuel pump not pushing out enough pressure

gsrteg
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Try adding SeaFoam in your gas tank to dissolve any gunk, might work. Do you hear the pump priming the fuel when you turn the key to the second position on the ignition? Hopefully its not the main relay.

MistaCee
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Yea I hear it priming.. what if its the main relay that doesnt sound too bad.

Humphrizzle
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
ignition coil failed. did this a few months back. starting it over and over trying to get it to turn on when it had no fuel failed.

get a new one. i got one for like 28 bucks online.. worked just fine.

slostang
03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Ok can anyone give me any ways to clean the lines or it has to be the fuel pump not pushing out enough pressure

only way to really do that is to disconnect the pump and filter and blow dried compressed air reversed (front to back) through the hard line.

Could also be an issue of the strainer on the pump clogging up with all the trash from the bottom of the tank when you ran it dry.

Tech5
03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
It ran fine until you ran out of gas there isn't anything clogging the lines you have these issues

You kept on trying to crank it when you ran out of fuel and drain the battery down
You burnt up the coil in the dizzy
you burnt up the pump by cranking it 100,000 times and dry starting a pump can damage it

First thing first get you a adjustable wrench and loosen the big nut on the left side of the fuel rail , turn the key on and off few times is it spraying out really fast?
If no then you either have a bad main relay which can get damaged after all those times trying to crank it , or you have a bad fuel pump

If yes , then take the spark wire off the valve cover and check for spark is it sparking ? if no it's most likely a coil

Let me know what is what by a PM please as I don't get on here that often ...Depending your location i could help out .

MistaCee
03-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Haha^^ well im changing the pump now so lets see smh

MistaCee
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok so I pulled the fuel rail off and the car fired up but it didnt seem like the injecters werent firing right.

Tech5
03-22-2011, 01:50 AM
what do you mean you pulled the rail off and it fired up?

MistaCee
03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I pulled the fuel rail off a little to where the injectors wasn't in the hole cranked the car an it fired up

Tech5
03-22-2011, 06:37 PM
that don't make any sense , sounds like you have something else wrong other then just ran out of gas... you try to prime it?

MistaCee
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Idk I'm thinking it might be the injectors not firing right so im going to buy some

Humphrizzle
03-22-2011, 10:54 PM
okay. but in my experience, it was the distributor coil.

Tech5
03-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Idk I'm thinking it might be the injectors not firing right so im going to buy some
Waste of money I have yet had any bad HONDA injectors ....Had one or too get clogged with rust from a tank but cleaned them and back working again . Sounds to me your wasting money .

Tech5
03-22-2011, 11:39 PM
ignition coil failed. did this a few months back. starting it over and over trying to get it to turn on when it had no fuel failed.

get a new one. i got one for like 28 bucks online.. worked just fine.
Ignition coil don't stop it from getting fuel only fire ....You tested incorrectly

Humphrizzle
03-23-2011, 01:59 AM
i tested by trying to start it, then installing new ignition coil and starting up automatically.

MistaCee
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
How about the fuel pressure regulator? I know it isn't the coil

MistaCee
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
And the car is getting fuel..the injectors just don't look like they firing right and one of the o seals are out

-EnVus-
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
And the car is getting fuel..the injectors just don't look like they firing right and one of the o seals are out
i told ya replace them seals i its leaking it will not run or will like shit plus id clean the injectors while in the process it can't hurt.

MistaCee
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Ok so I put a fuel pressure guage on and it's getting enough pressure. So I'm going to change the injecters now.

MistaCee
03-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Changed the injectors same response..going to change the coil

gsrteg
03-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Theres one more thing, i think it could be; possibly a dirty throttle body and dirty air filter. First off, make sure the air filter is good shape and clean. Then try cleaning the throttle body and reset the ecu by upluggin the ground cable off the negative terminal of the battery. If this doesnt work, then i dont know what else it is. I noticed that sometimes cleaning the throttle body, does help a car with bad idle and dead starts.

So, simply:
-Disconnect the negative cable off the battery
-Next, detach the air intake assembly off the intake manifold so you can gain access to the butterfly valve or throttle plate (whatever you wanna call it) inside the throttle body, and clean the inside and edges of the plate.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31i2HobbFLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-If you see the picture above, grab a toothbrush and spray some throttle body carb cleaner (get some at advance auto, its like $3) and clean the edges of the plate and behind the plate. Make sure you open the throttle by pushing it or twisting the throttle latch where the throttle cable is located.
-Get all or most of the built up gunk and carbon deposits off. Then wipe it down some more, by spraying some on a clean paper towel and dry it off.
-Reattach the intake assembly.
-Then reattach the negative cable on battery, this should help reset the ecu as well
-Hope the car starts up good.

Let me know if this helped, its worth the shot (your only spending like $3 for the carb throttle spray cleaner).

Humphrizzle
03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
i bet it's the coil.

blown_ss
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
i bet it's the coil.

Im waiting to see since he didn't listen to what you had to sayand you've been through the same problem before. The coil is so easy to replace.

MistaCee
03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Coil isn't the problem replaced it. Now I'm thinking the timing is off

94_teg_ls
03-24-2011, 02:42 PM
i just went trough the same thing but i ended up flooding the cylinders check your timing make sure dizzy is on right

MistaCee
03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
What was wrong with your car and what did you have to do to fix it?

Tech5
03-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Fuel pressure regulators on a HONDA never fail !!!

Throwing parts at this is isn't your answer

Sounds to me you just need to take it to someone , be a whole lot cheaper then you throwing parts !

If you just simply ran out of gas , then it has something related to that .... Yes you could have burnt the coil while cranking it a million times but you said you fixed that or tried a part ..ARE these parts NEW or parts laying around???

Timing isn't a issue if he only ran out of gas guys ....How do you know it's getting fire and fuel please elaborate !

Humphrizzle
03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
agreed with everything above.

i also got new spark plugs and wires before i replaced the coil.

check your plugs to see if they were fouled out as well.

MistaCee
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Fuel pressure regulators on a HONDA never fail !!!

Throwing parts at this is isn't your answer

Sounds to me you just need to take it to someone , be a whole lot cheaper then you throwing parts !

If you just simply ran out of gas , then it has something related to that .... Yes you could have burnt the coil while cranking it a million times but you said you fixed that or tried a part ..ARE these parts NEW or parts laying around???

Timing isn't a issue if he only ran out of gas guys ....How do you know it's getting fire and fuel please elaborate !

I know it is getting fuel because I put on a fuel pressure gauge on it and it read 40psi. I did the screwdriver test to check for spark and it had spark in all cylinders. All the parts I put on were new not parts lying around or came off a running car. The only person I know to fix it is in marrieta 40 miles from me it will be a $230 tow bill smh and I already spent about that much lol.

I am also considering whether the engine is flooded or not... How would I check for this?

SLOWR/T
03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
If your getting fuel and spark to the engine, it will run. One of the two isn't getting into the engine or its flooded. Pull the plugs and if they are wet then chance's are it is. You can leave the plugs out over night and it might help. Before you try again it I would pull the fuel pump fuse and spin the motor over and see if it trys to start. If it does then replace the fuse and it should fire right up.

MistaCee
03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
If your getting fuel and spark to the engine, it will run. One of the two isn't getting into the engine or its flooded. Pull the plugs and if they are wet then chance's are it is. You can leave the plugs out over night and it might help. Before you try again it I would pull the fuel pump fuse and spin the motor over and see if it trys to start. If it does then replace the fuse and it should fire right up.

Ok I will do this. "edit" If the fuse for the fuel pump was bad I wouldn't hear the pump prime would I?

SLOWR/T
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
No, that was my first thought but you said you can hear the pump.

MistaCee
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Yea it isn't the fuse then because I can hear it.

Tech5
03-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Where are you and the car located?

MistaCee
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Both in Conyers, Ga about 35-40 mins east from Atlanta.

i4_garage
03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
DAMNNN why did you have to run out gas dawgg!!

RBS
03-25-2011, 06:44 PM
pop loose the bolt to the fuel line and turn the key over, if gas spills out at a high rate scratch off your fuel filter, pump, and lines.

MistaCee
03-25-2011, 06:55 PM
DAMNNN why did you have to run out gas dawgg!!
Lol I know and I never did this my first damn time