PDA

View Full Version : Prelude Inner Tie Rod bad

98blackcivic
03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
hey guys..so since my last issue..ive replaced and fixed tons of shit on my lude
how ever
lately ive had almost no time due to homework so i decided to pay my mech to install my brake pads and rotos for me.

after he got done
he informed me that my inner tie rod is bad.. the boot is ripped and pieces are missing...i actually knew this..was just neglecting it...
he said this is due to the the PS deletion and the rack is ad.. and he cannot replace just the innier tie rod, that ill need the whole steering rack and pinion

so my question are:

-can the inner or the tie rods in general be fixed witout having the replace the whole rack?
-i havent had PS in a while since i deleted it, is my rack still good enough for me to loop the line back into itself after i replace the tie rods?
-what should i do?
-and how long of a grace period do i have till it gives out?
-where can i find a non PS rack for my 92 prelude?

thanks guys

SLow_POke
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
you can replace the inner tie rod with out replacing the whole rack.... i dont know why he would tell you that. and if your rack is fucked, run it till the wheels fall off. It's just an expression of course.

but if your rack goes bad you will ahve trouble turning it one way or the other. but manageable. at that point replace it.

If you do put a new rack in it you will jsut fuck it up since you wont be using ps and run it dry in a sence.

98blackcivic
03-18-2011, 10:09 PM
ive read that u can loop the PS link back into the rack and fill it with fluid so it just keeps the rack lubricated or wat not

98blackcivic
03-18-2011, 10:12 PM
also i was planning on lowering my car tomorrow...should i wait on that till i get my tie rods replaced?

SLow_POke
03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
yes u can, kinda liek the cx civic model. but i dont think u did i may be wrong.

98blackcivic
03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
ima just wait i guess...
get the tie rods replaced, proper alignment
then other shit.

gsrteg
03-19-2011, 03:06 PM
replace the tie rod. If the tie rod is still good, then just buy some new bushings/boot and replace them (get energy suspension tie rod boot, if you can't order/find them, just get a replacement boot at advanced auto). If your rack is already fucked up, you would be experiencing a poor steering control when you're turning the wheel (any weird noises or clickings that you are experiencing?, if not then you could get away with it). Just simply get a hose connect it to one of the nozle from the steering rack, fill in some power steering fluid to flush out the gears in the rack. This will simply allow your rack to retain some fluid in there for lubrication and from rusting, then simply find a rubber hose and loop both ends of the nozzles from the steering rack, zip tie or use hose clamps.

And definately do all this before or during when you put on your suspension setup

gsrteg
03-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Get this toe rod boot and rack loop problem solved and then put on your suspension setup. If you put on your suspension setup, your goin to be messing with the alignment. So, get an alignment service after you install your suspension setup.

98blackcivic
03-19-2011, 04:04 PM
^^this guy is a G