PDA

View Full Version : Share Your "Low Gone Wrong" Stories

msanch24
03-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Hey guys

Well, I was driving down Canton Road yesterday. As i went through the Shallowford intersection, I see this good size log of fresh cut wood shoot out from under the truck in front of me. I have no idea how it got there, but it anyway there it is in front of me. Without much time to slow down, i gingerly roll over it going about 20-25 mph. This log is literally about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. I thought "surely, I'm about to break something under the CD". Well, thanks to my monster truck status on stock suspension, I just glided over it without a problem.

Now, I know the story is lame lol. But my point to the whole thing is, it made me wonder about everyone's horror stories about shit like this happening when your car is only a couple inches off the ground.

Let's hear them.

iamdallas
03-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I was driving behind a truck on the highway last night at about 70 when I see this dead possom appear in front of me. My heart lept to my throat and then..........

I realized I was driving an SUV. lolol

A pal of mine had a driveshaft come out of a big-rig in front of him and shatter his lip, oilpan, and radiator.

ash7
03-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Slowly driving my old DB1 across some train tracks on my way to a junkyard and the rail caught on the resonator - stopped like the car had hit a brick wall - threw me out of my seat into the dashboard! ...sucked because i had to back my car off the tracks and turn around in front of 30,000 people that were jammed behind me.

-jonathan

msanch24
03-18-2011, 11:13 AM
haha^ sucks man. seatbelt is your friend lol.

Good start, keep em comin

allout13
03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
moved into an apartment complex in January without being able to scope the parking. Following the lady to show me where it was I realized that there were a lot of speedbumps. 8 monsters. Frame was hitting on all 8 of them. :( next day the car was 4x4 status

RBS
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
this is back when i had my old EJ coupe.

I came home late Friday night from a party, i parked in the driveway... up against my moms car LOL. Saturday morning, tired as f*ck my mom shakes me up saying my car is blocking her car. i mumble "get the keys and move it yourself" and i go back to sleep. when i wake up, i come outside and see my bumper in the driveway but my car on the side of the road and wonder "what-the-f**k".

yep, thats my sad story, and all my mom has to say about it is "oops" LOL. for those that dont get it, my bumper got suck on the driveway dip while reversing and when it broke off she kicked in down the driveway.

ATLSRT8
03-18-2011, 12:03 PM
This past Sunday I was on 400 and had a guy in a stock 370Z pull up beside me and pass me. He gets a little ahead of me and pulls into my lane with both lanes wide open in front of us. I decided to do an infamous and impressive ricer fly by. I hit the button for my cutouts so I can blare past him making a hellish noise. So I fly past him with cutouts blaring, I proceed to hit a dip in the rode and sheer off all the front bolts to my plastic skid and it nicely drags along the entire way up to the outlets make a horrendous noise. It was a blow to my ego as most people stare at my car because they like, but now it was a nice car dragging plastic making an awful noise.

quickdodgeŽ
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing having to get out of your car and jack up one side of the car and getting back in and gunning the engine so I can get off a set of railroad tracks would be one of these stories. Or being pulled over for cracking the windshield of a Dekalb Sherriff's patrol car. Seems when I changed lanes on I-285, I pulled out a reflector and it went straight to him. Or rolling down Hwy 138 and coming up on one of those steel plates they lay in the road to cover holes and literally ripping the transmission out from under my car. Those were the days of really being low. Later, QD.

Echonova
03-18-2011, 12:24 PM
You can never go wrong being low, just awesome.

Bacon
03-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing having to get out of your car and jack up one side of the car and getting back in and gunning the engine so I can get off a set of railroad tracks would be one of these stories. Or being pulled over for cracking the windshield of a Dekalb Sherriff's patrol car. Seems when I changed lanes on I-285, I pulled out a reflector and it went straight to him. Or rolling down Hwy 138 and coming up on one of those steel plates they lay in the road to cover holes and literally ripping the transmission out from under my car. Those were the days of really being low. Later, QD.

Now, that's pretty damn low.

msanch24
03-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Now, that's pretty damn low.

QFT. QD's got erryone beat i think.

A friend of mine bought an m3 bumper for his e36, took it for paint, and after shelling out a good bit of money, proceeded to nail a cat doing about 30 on the way home from the bodyshop. Broken bumper and radiator fan. Never seen someone punt two seperate halves of a cat so ferociously...

STRteg
03-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I travel pretty frequently through low income areas to go to my friends house (By the way if you are planning on taking offense to this post, you can suck one,swallow and keep walking) and when I pass by these lower income apartment complexes there is always trash laying all over the roads out in front and I always wondered why... well one day I found out as I was driving through this stretch of road this van full of hispanics pulled out of an apartment complex in front of me with their trash bag on the roof of the van (I guess they forgot to go to the dumpster....idk) and when they did it and they took off in front of me the bag flew off and landed in the road right in front of my civic and i smacked it and it ripped off my mugen lip and fucked up my bumper. Couldn't change lanes cause there were others next to me so yeah, oh and when i turned around to go see if the lip was salvageable some hispanics had ran from that apartment complex out into the road and grabbed my lip that was in two pieces lolol man being broke must suck

alpine_aw11
03-18-2011, 01:58 PM
I lost both the front and rear bumpers on my Talon when I had it slammed, thankfully I did the smart thing and raised it up a couple inches. Being low is awesome, but I can generally only afford about a 3" drop to maintain practicality. And for anyone who tries to say their car is just as practical with it being on the ground, just stfu. You're dumb. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing that shit when I know for a fact if I dumped my car I couldn't go half the places I need to on a regular basis. When I get another weekend car it will be slammed though.

quickdodgeŽ
03-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I lost both the front and rear bumpers on my Talon when I had it slammed, thankfully I did the smart thing and raised it up a couple inches. Being low is awesome, but I can generally only afford about a 3" drop to maintain practicality. And for anyone who tries to say their car is just as practical with it being on the ground, just stfu. You're dumb. I'm getting pretty tired of hearing that shit when I know for a fact if I dumped my car I couldn't go half the places I need to on a regular basis. When I get another weekend car it will be slammed though.

My college professors don't think I'm all that dumb. Later, QD.

David88vert
03-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Back in the late 80's, I had a lowered minitruck. I got stuck on the speedbumps at Lakeshore Mall in Gainesville, and in Stone Mtn Park over by the playground. Both times took people helping me get it off.

quickdodgeŽ
03-18-2011, 05:07 PM
Back in the late 80's, I had a lowered minitruck. I got stuck on the speedbumps at Lakeshore Mall in Gainesville, and in Stone Mtn Park over by the playground. Both times took people helping me get it off.

And you know this.

At both places. Getting stuck at the Burger King (turn around) as well, on their speedbumps. And the bumps by the playground played hell on every minitruck going through. The Sunday evening cruises. Started at around 5:30/6pm and went for about 3 hours. I was taking my 1980 210 (no springs) and a 1985 Toyota minitruck. Later, QD.

Mr Egg Rollllll
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
At one point 2 years ago I got stuck on a speed hump at University of West Georgia in Carrollton in my sol. Had to get it towed off as the width of those humps are the same length of my wheel base.

:(

msanch24
03-18-2011, 07:40 PM
this thread has me rolling. keep it up guys.

BanginJimmy
03-18-2011, 08:04 PM
QFT. QD's got erryone beat i think. .

Not everyone.

Blew an airline going 75 down 75 on my way to Macon. Results in dragging right right past a cop. This cop also sees someone swerve and nearly hit a wall because of the shower of sparks.

Cop leaves guy he was ticketing and pulls in behind me as I am on the side of the road. Cop gives me a substantial ticket for reckless driving (luckily not modified suspension or the truck would be towed). Fortunately cop is cool and doesnt arrest me after I explain the blown airline.

You would think this is the end, but you are wrong. Call AAA and wait nearly 3 hours for a rollback to show up. When he gets there he drags the truck on and in the process rips the roll pan off on the lip of the rollback.

quickdodgeŽ
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd have to say I got you, Jimmy-Jam! I didn't have the liberty to raise up to drive. I was stuck in low-motion at all times, lolol!!!! Later, QD.

DeeAOne
03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
1. Hmm, just the other day I was heading home from the old lady's house and caught a dead possum. the front lip missed it, but the exhaust caught it, and it pretty much exploded under the car. Then came the smell of it on my hot exhaust. :(

2. got stuck on speedbump in the middle ga tech parking lot once. i went over them all the time, but for some reason i just took a bad angle that day. lol

3. tried to beat a red light in a horribly paved intersection, crossmember and lower control arms ate the pavement. lol

4. coming down I-75 S and didnt know about the gigantic bump on the I-75 to I-475 interchange, and my frame hit it at about 80mph and I caught some air. Raised it back up shortly after this one because I almost lost my car over it. lol

BanginJimmy
03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I'd have to say I got you, Jimmy-Jam! I didn't have the liberty to raise up to drive. I was stuck in low-motion at all times, lolol!!!! Later, QD.

This is true. You old skoolers didnt have the adjustable suspensions that we have these days.

I love my adjustable ride height. Eats the hell out of front tires but you nearly need 4WD to get over the speed bums at work and I love to ride tuckin tires.

David88vert
03-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Not everyone.

Blew an airline going 75 down 75 on my way to Macon. Results in dragging right right past a cop. This cop also sees someone swerve and nearly hit a wall because of the shower of sparks.

Cop leaves guy he was ticketing and pulls in behind me as I am on the side of the road. Cop gives me a substantial ticket for reckless driving (luckily not modified suspension or the truck would be towed). Fortunately cop is cool and doesnt arrest me after I explain the blown airline.

You would think this is the end, but you are wrong. Call AAA and wait nearly 3 hours for a rollback to show up. When he gets there he drags the truck on and in the process rips the roll pan off on the lip of the rollback.

That's normal for juiced rides. My Impala has had a tow hook sent right through the gas tank from a tow truck driver that didn't know how to hook up when it is sitting on the floor.

I'm not even going to try to list all the times that the Impala was down and dragging fram until I could fix it.

Bacon
03-18-2011, 10:03 PM
My Sol was as low as it would go which was just a few inches off the ground. It's swap had a Hytech rep header which loved to drag on anything I would run over. That was the lowest car I had which doesn't compare to most in here.

msanch24
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
my frame hit it at about 80mph and I caught some air.
:eek: repped

alpine_aw11
03-24-2011, 04:26 PM
My college professors don't think I'm all that dumb. Later, QD.

A car that is on the ground is NOT as practical as a car with a more normal-ish ride height. It's not something that can be argued, it's a fact.

jdm>usdm
03-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Seems when I changed lanes on I-285, I pulled out a reflector and it went straight to him.

Haha talk about good timing. I've pulled/shattered my fair share of reflectors in my old EJ8 and Teggy, but never managed to have cop behind me while doing it.

1. Hmm, just the other day I was heading home from the old lady's house and caught a dead possum. the front lip missed it, but the exhaust caught it, and it pretty much exploded under the car. Then came the smell of it on my hot exhaust. :(

Hahahaha

[3000gt20s]
03-25-2011, 09:23 AM
ummm i hit a opossum about 60mph in my old a4. . seriously felt like i just jumped over a curb. when i got home i checked my car i had blood all over my bumper . when i looked up under the car the opossums body was stuck in between my down pipe and the frame. that shit smelled horribly. ( like a crematory)

Theycall_Metue
03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
car isnt slammed out but manage to take out reflectors with my exhaust.

Elbow
03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
My old E30. It was pretty damn low, I scooped up a dead opossum and didn't know it for two days. I was driving home from work and saw it, couldn't avoid it because another car was coming towards me ( 2 lane) and hit it, I never saw it behind me but figured it wouldn't be under the car. Well two days later I smelt a horrible smell, thought it was just my interior I left my shoes in it LOL...nope...dead opossum under the car completely shredded and just ripped up. I reversed out of my driveway and flop it came out, I had to shovel it into the trash, bleach the driveway, then I pressure washed under my car for a good three hours. After that I didn't care what I had to do I was not driving over any dead animals.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5564035913_7c35fd6efd_z.jpg

Mad Mike
03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Back in high school I had a 84 civic hatchback. I lowered it on a sat and drove it all day sun with no issues. I made it into the school parking lot with no issues(entrance had no speed bumps) after school me and my 3 friends got into my car to leave. As I went over the first of 3 speed bumps my car stopped and wouldn't move forward or backwards. So my 3 friends climb out and I made it over the 3 speed bump with a lot of vary bad noises cumming from under the car. I had to decide to raise it back up of just park in the lower lot to bypass the speed bumps. My car stayed low.

When I had my Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo I lowed it and I got stuck on the top of a speed table at the mall. Front tires would just spin. Luckily I was with a group of people and they stopped and helped me get over it.
Also when I owned my Mitsubishi I intstalled a body kit and a front mount intercooler and was still lowered. On my way to school one morning I scooped up a chicken and it go stuck in my grill up against the intercooler. I backed my car into my spot and didn't notice it until that afternoon after school got out. As I walked up to it I was like WTF is in my grill. LOL

When I had my CRX it was lowered and I had just installed my VW lip and 2 weeks later I was backing out of a friends drive way and it hit. Didn't think about it and when home. Next day I noticed a 1/4 of the lip was missing.

Now I own a 4" lifted Jeep and a stock ride height Celica so no more getting stuck on speed bumps for me.

quickdodgeŽ
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
My old E30. It was pretty damn low, I scooped up a dead opossum and didn't know it for two days. I was driving home from work and saw it, couldn't avoid it because another car was coming towards me ( 2 lane) and hit it, I never saw it behind me but figured it wouldn't be under the car. Well two days later I smelt a horrible smell, thought it was just my interior I left my shoes in it LOL...nope...dead opossum under the car completely shredded and just ripped up. I reversed out of my driveway and flop it came out, I had to shovel it into the trash, bleach the driveway, then I pressure washed under my car for a good three hours. After that I didn't care what I had to do I was not driving over any dead animals.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5053/5564035913_7c35fd6efd_z.jpg

Back in high school I had a 84 civic hatchback. I lowered it on a sat and drove it all day sun with no issues. I made it into the school parking lot with no issues(entrance had no speed bumps) after school me and my 3 friends got into my car to leave. As I went over the first of 3 speed bumps my car stopped and wouldn't move forward or backwards. So my 3 friends climb out and I made it over the 3 speed bump with a lot of vary bad noises cumming from under the car. I had to decide to raise it back up of just park in the lower lot to bypass the speed bumps. My car stayed low.

When I had my Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo I lowed it and I got stuck on the top of a speed table at the mall. Front tires would just spin. Luckily I was with a group of people and they stopped and helped me get over it.
Also when I owned my Mitsubishi I intstalled a body kit and a front mount intercooler and was still lowered. On my way to school one morning I scooped up a chicken and it go stuck in my grill up against the intercooler. I backed my car into my spot and didn't notice it until that afternoon after school got out. As I walked up to it I was like WTF is in my grill. LOL

When I had my CRX it was lowered and I had just installed my VW lip and 2 weeks later I was backing out of a friends drive way and it hit. Didn't think about it and when home. Next day I noticed a 1/4 of the lip was missing.

Now I own a 4" lifted Jeep and a stock ride height Celica so no more getting stuck on speed bumps for me.

Body kits don't count! Later, QD.

Elbow
03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Body kits don't count! Later, QD.

That's not a body kit nor did it hit the valance, it got caught on the frame.

Logan
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
No one had it worse than old BMW or VW guys. Busting oil pans is a real inconvenience.

Sol-Badguy
03-27-2011, 01:49 PM
The worst would have to be almost just like your story. I was coming back from Val's funeral (I know, the day got even worse.) in my 3rd gen Prelude. I was coming down (I believe) Canton Rd, and I saw a 4x4 block of wood in the lane in front of me. OaTmeaL was driving beside me, and I had traffic on the other side. I hit it dead on, and pulled into the next shopping center with a pool of oil pouring underneath the car. I get down to Atlanta and grab my rollback and bring it back down. Turns out, it hit dead center between the oil pan and the down pipe. It tore all the way down one side of the pan, and pinched in one of the downpipe runners.

Needless to say, it gave me an excuse to finally buy a header. :lmao:

quickdodgeŽ
03-27-2011, 01:55 PM
No one had it worse than old BMW or VW guys.

I've never owned a VW or a BMW. But I can say that you're absolutely wrong. Later, QD.

Elbow
03-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I've never owned a VW or a BMW. But I can say that you're absolutely wrong. Later, QD.

He's definitely right, my E30s oil pan was ON THE GROUND, the ONLY reason it never broke was a skid plate, which took some MASSIVE beating.

quickdodgeŽ
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
He's definitely right, my E30s oil pan was ON THE GROUND, the ONLY reason it never broke was a skid plate, which took some MASSIVE beating.

Edited my original post. Just saw how my reply could have been misinterpreted. Later, QD.

Echonova
03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
The worst would have to be almost just like your story. I was coming back from Val's funeral (I know, the day got even worse.) in my 3rd gen Prelude. I was coming down (I believe) Canton Rd, and I saw a 4x4 block of wood in the lane in front of me. OaTmeaL was driving beside me, and I had traffic on the other side. I hit it dead on, and pulled into the next shopping center with a pool of oil pouring underneath the car. I get down to Atlanta and grab my rollback and bring it back down. Turns out, it hit dead center between the oil pan and the down pipe. It tore all the way down one side of the pan, and pinched in one of the downpipe runners.

Needless to say, it gave me an excuse to finally buy a header. :lmao:Funny, the SR in my 240 blew @ Lisa's funeral...

Ok it's not funny. That's just creepy.

msanch24
03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
some funny, some sad stuff in here. i knew you guys would be able to make me feel better about not being able to afford suspension for the cd haha.

SlammedSedan
04-02-2011, 09:55 AM
My to low story was the death of my sedan so it started on my way to work I hit a little field mouse and sounded like I ripped the bottom of my car out. Well decided when I got home I was going to raise it back up close to stock height but still a little stance. Well I turned on my road and there was a dog in the middle of the road that I didn't see until the last minute. So hit the dong and caved my floor board into the car as the dog rolled under it.

msanch24
04-02-2011, 10:42 AM
that poor fucking dog.

redrumracer
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I just lowered(no bump stops, shocks, monoleaf with 3" blocks and torsion bars turned all the way down) my B2000 and was driving down the road and ripped the torsion bars out from under it on some railroad tracks. i was on my way to a friends house to reset them, but i liked the stance so i just kept em out and never got new ones.

msanch24
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I just lowered(no bump stops, shocks, monoleaf with 3" blocks and torsion bars turned all the way down) my B2000 and was driving down the road and ripped the torsion bars out from under it on some railroad tracks. i was on my way to a friends house to reset them, but i liked the stance so i just kept em out and never got new ones.

haha. when life gives you lemons i guess

thegovanator
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
So hit the dong and caved my floor board

Freudian slip...

msanch24
04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Freudian slip...
:gay:

lol.

DeeAOne
04-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Not even 15 minutes ago, on the same road I hit the opossum, I just hit an armadillo. I slowed down almost enough in time(shitty brakes thanks to bad master cylinder) but still dragged him a good ten feet. I backed up to get him out from under my car. He jumped up and started flipping all over the place and limped off the road. I thought he might be ok, but then I watched him lay down in the grass and die..

Damn lowered cars.. :(

Nerdsrock22
04-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Not even 15 minutes ago, on the same road I hit the opossum, I just hit an armadillo. I slowed down almost enough in time(shitty brakes thanks to bad master cylinder) but still dragged him a good ten feet. I backed up to get him out from under my car. He jumped up and started flipping all over the place and limped off the road. I thought he might be ok, but then I watched him lay down in the grass and die..

Damn lowered cars.. :(

That was the first thing I read this morning. :(

Thegrizz
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I think Mr Fo Door outta comment on this ......

Thedalton
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Never seen someone punt two seperate halves of a cat so ferociously...

This line is golden

00Civic
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
This happened about 6 years ago when I owned a 1994 Honda civic, and it was lowered on coilovers, 3.75" all around, if memory serves me correctly. Anyways, I was headed back home to Macon from Atlanta, and I was merging onto 475 at the 75/475 split and there is this " bump " when you merge onto 475....Anyways I was going about 80 and that " bump " hit my transmission case and shattered it in like 3 pieces. Needless to say, that was a "FML" moment.

Slomaro Z28
05-08-2011, 07:01 PM
When I had my civic, I drove to work (gravel parking lot) as usual and parked the car. When I came back that evening they had come in and poured new gravel, that hadn't been packed down yet.........new gravel was 1-2" higher than where my car was parked. There was nothing else to do other than cut the wheels and hope for the best, ended up ripping the front bumper cover off and busted my lip into 3 pieces.

chompsticks
05-08-2011, 09:52 PM
When I had my w124... I was driving on I-85 at night two lanes over from a semi truck when I reached this area with no street lights. I hear several big thunks and watched a log get flipped up by the semi truck and fly over the passenger side of my car while going about 80 mph. I look in my rear view for a double take and watch the car following behind run over it and getting about 4 feet of air (Might be exaggerated, but I remember seeing the headlights of the car behind him underneath their car) Anywho, car blew out all four tires.

Not really a low and slow story but one where it doesn't matter how high you are, but here is one.

Doing a mountain run with three other guys in front and my front underbrace catches a possum and was unavoidable since I was following too close. Took a trip to Oasis car wash later that day.

Nicole.
05-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I've caught my lip on my driveway and store entrances more times than I want to share. Also the midsection of my exhaust is about done for. lol