PDA

View Full Version : Auto X @ Turner Field March 20

ash7
03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
As people well know - several of us from down here went and had a killer time at last weekend autocross in Atlanta.

Figured i'd start a thread to begin to collect names for the next event which is on March 20 and see if anyone wanted to go with us. I'll add more to this thread over the course of this week - but when i was registering for the event myself today, i noticed that there are still 16 slots available for the novice class. The Novice class is where you get an experienced driver to kinda lead you through the whole thing and make sure you're in the right place at the right time - not to mention you pick up a TON of useful tips on how to drive in a performance environment by listening to what they're telling you as the day goes on. It is THE best class to run in if you're trying to get a grip on how everything works.

Pre-registration is 43 dollars for non-SCCA members - but they do not charge your card until you actually show up at the registration booth on site.

here's a link to registration:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/917EB4BB-F026-B245-F1CA3281C106916C

If you want to drive your car in the event:
- you WILL have to pass tech, where they will do a basic look-over of your car to make sure that it's mechanically sound (i.e. no leaks, tires have useable tread, etc).
- you WILL have to pre-register online. They do not accept "walk-ins"
- you must have a valid drivers license

If you have any questions, PM me - or if you have my number, text.
More later...

-jonathan (Megatron)

snowflake09
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
I has no car but if anyone has an empty seat I call shotgun. Lol

justnprsh07
03-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Think my Shit willpass tech???? Don't know how it will turn but should have the straight sways down

willard
03-09-2011, 06:36 AM
you can drive my car lol. I hope we get my cage done and the new lugs in by then dont think 3 lugs would be a good idea to run autoX.

willard
03-09-2011, 06:37 AM
I has no car but if anyone has an empty seat I call shotgun. Lol

whats wrong with ur car?

snowflake09
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
whats wrong with ur car?

Sold it cause I ship out next month. Im gonna buy something later on in ait.

ash7
03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Think my Shit willpass tech???? Don't know how it will turn but should have the straight sways down

as long as your car is mechanically sound, you'll be set.

you can drive my car lol. I hope we get my cage done and the new lugs in by then dont think 3 lugs would be a good idea to run autoX.

I have some spare OEM lugs, if you need them.

-jonathan

mr.koupe
03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
My cats name is megatron. Why are you calling yourself megatron?

Anyway. Ill be going, driving in the event, and will have a space for a copilot for whoever calls it first lol.

LIKEG6
03-09-2011, 08:46 AM
I was gonna go but I have something going on in opelika all weekend with the wife so maybe next time.

snowflake09
03-09-2011, 08:58 AM
My cats name is megatron. Why are you calling yourself megatron?

Anyway. Ill be going, driving in the event, and will have a space for a copilot for whoever calls it first lol.
Dibbbbssss on the copilot! Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ash7
03-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I was gonna go but I have something going on in opelika all weekend with the wife so maybe next time.

march 20th, brooks. Weekend after this one... :)

-jonathan

justnprsh07
03-09-2011, 09:32 AM

We will have it done and what style lugs do you need I have quite a few

-S Double C-
03-09-2011, 03:22 PM
justin your car and tring to take a turn wouldnt end to well

mr.koupe
03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz166/lurkerpup/eg2.jpg
:super:

LIKEG6
03-10-2011, 11:51 AM
march 20th, brooks. Weekend after this one... :)

-jonathan

That's the weekend I'm talking about. Fool.

justnprsh07
03-10-2011, 11:59 AM

this is what it wouls look like sean... lol my shit is in donk mode

ash7
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM

that looks like infamous corner number 8 at Laguna Seca :goodjob:

-jonathan

mr.koupe
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Looks like time to buy a new eh shell to me. Can only imagine what that did to the chasis lol

Mafdark
03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
love those sequence of pictures from the corkscrew.

...I've made a decision to autocross the bimmer until death, I'm going to do the event on the 20th on my shit azenis and then find some slicks for it and see what I can beat up on in stock class. :)

http://www.carmk.com/media/2009/08/20090815012356125.gif

ash7
03-10-2011, 07:31 PM
^ a recovery like that at that speed only happens on slicks...

Homeboy is fast on that sleering wheel too!
-jonathan

willard
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
as long as your car is mechanically sound, you'll be set.

I have some spare OEM lugs, if you need them.

-jonathan

yea just getting them in i dont know how to get that hub out

willard
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
We will have it done and what style lugs do you need I have quite a few

well i have one missing in the front and one in the rear.

willard
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
what should i register under?

ash7
03-10-2011, 11:29 PM
i'd recommend the Novice class. Any type of car with any modifications is allowed to drive in that class, you're assigned an instructor to "show you the ropes", AND you get two extra laps. Heck of a deal if you ask me.

-jonathan

bseriesus
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm going to try to make it if the old job let's me off.

ash7
03-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm going to try to make it if the old job let's me off.

i think you passed me on veterans a few weeks ago - at least i think you did. Car looked super nice! Try and come out on a saturday sometime. :)

-jonathan

bseriesus
03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks a Lot bro! Your teg was looking awesome.( esp on your sig picture ) how long have you been doing the autocross thing? I really want to get into that, I can still use a few pointers

ash7
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks a Lot bro! Your teg was looking awesome.( esp on your sig picture ) how long have you been doing the autocross thing? I really want to get into that, I can still use a few pointers

I ran my Z32TT a few times back when i was in the airforce (01-05), and recently got the bug to get back into it - (Thanks to some lengthy discussions with Mike (Mafdark). I've always been a suspension nerd and last weekend was my first sanctioned event in a fwd, so i'm not really sure i'd be the one to ask for pointers; but i'd be glad to assist where i can!

-jonathan

Mafdark
03-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Lots of people are afraid of autocross and from what I've seen its for one of the following reasons:
concerns
-of mechanical or body damage.
-that the car is not "complete"
-that they don't have enough experience
-they won't be fast enough

So let me do what I can to ease those concerns. 1.) I've been to LOTs of events and only one single car ever sustained damage more than a cone scuff. That particular course was modified from its typical layout due to newly installed lightposts. As far as mechanical damage, yes you can tear up some tires and there is a possibility of engine damage. BUT if you guys drive in a "spirited" manner on the street you're probably at the same risk level. Top speeds at these events rarely exceed 50mph. The last event we never shifted out of 2nd gear.

2) Autocross is a perfect example of a "run what your brung" whatever you think your car needs, you don't need it!

3) Autocross has a novice class where you get your own instructor who walks the course with you and rides with you to help gives you pointers. Even if you can't get into novice class, you can ask any one of the experienced drivers and they will help you out with pointers and would probably be willing to ride along to help teach you the ropes.

4) Times don't matter! You don't need to worry about or be ashamed of what time you get. After you do a few events you realize that the fast drivers are the guys in their 50s who have been doing it for years. The car doesn't matter at all.

If anyone claims their hobby is cars, then they need to try this out.

mr.koupe
03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Amen. Lol

bseriesus
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I ran my Z32TT a few times back when i was in the airforce (01-05), and recently got the bug to get back into it - (Thanks to some lengthy discussions with Mike (Mafdark). I've always been a suspension nerd and last weekend was my first sanctioned event in a fwd, so i'm not really sure i'd be the one to ask for pointers; but i'd be glad to assist where i can!

-jonathan

Sounds good, well I'm trying to have the best of both worlds ( drag and auto x )I have been doing drag racing for awhile( back when Ed berg ran a 9 in his crx, lisa kubo was the fastest Honda chick,and steph papadakis had a EF.) I want to try my hand at something new but not give up my roots.. What is your current suspension set up?

mr.koupe
03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
is you maurice ?

Mafdark
03-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Sounds good, well I'm trying to have the best of both worlds ( drag and auto x )I have been doing drag racing for awhile( back when Ed berg ran a 9 in his crx, lisa kubo was the fastest Honda chick,and steph papadakis had a EF.) I want to try my hand at something new but not give up my roots.. What is your current suspension set up?

damn those names bring me back.

bseriesus
03-12-2011, 10:23 PM
is you maurice ?

The one and only..lol

big mac
03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
how many slots open

mr.koupe
03-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Go to motorsportsreg.com or sloatlanta.com and check it out man

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Lots of people are afraid of autocross and from what I've seen its for one of the following reasons:
concerns
-of mechanical or body damage.
-that the car is not "complete"
-that they don't have enough experience
-they won't be fast enough

So let me do what I can to ease those concerns. 1.) I've been to LOTs of events and only one single car ever sustained damage more than a cone scuff. That particular course was modified from its typical layout due to newly installed lightposts. As far as mechanical damage, yes you can tear up some tires and there is a possibility of engine damage. BUT if you guys drive in a "spirited" manner on the street you're probably at the same risk level. Top speeds at these events rarely exceed 50mph. The last event we never shifted out of 2nd gear.

2) Autocross is a perfect example of a "run what your brung" whatever you think your car needs, you don't need it!

3) Autocross has a novice class where you get your own instructor who walks the course with you and rides with you to help gives you pointers. Even if you can't get into novice class, you can ask any one of the experienced drivers and they will help you out with pointers and would probably be willing to ride along to help teach you the ropes.

4) Times don't matter! You don't need to worry about or be ashamed of what time you get. After you do a few events you realize that the fast drivers are the guys in their 50s who have been doing it for years. The car doesn't matter at all.

If anyone claims their hobby is cars, then they need to try this out.

The majority of people that don't autocross don't because they think it's a "pansy" sport. Running through cones? OOOWEEEEE!!!! Big fucking deal, you know. Anyone can do that. Later, QD.

Mafdark
03-13-2011, 10:39 AM
The majority of people that don't autocross don't because they think it's a "pansy" sport. Running through cones? OOOWEEEEE!!!! Big fucking deal, you know. Anyone can do that. Later, QD.

LOL. Likely response from someone who:

A. Thinks that driving in straight line is exciting.

B. The most driving they do is to the ricer meetups on friday nights.

I know you're not talking down to AutoX because your big into track days, HPDEs or wheel to wheel racing because everyone in those circles is well aware of the advantages of learning the trade in autocross.

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2011, 10:46 AM

I know you're not talking down to AutoX because your big into track days, HPDEs or wheel to wheel racing because everyone in those circles is well aware of the advantages of learning the trade in autocross.

Of course I'm not talking down on it. Hail, I'm an ex-SCCA regional champion, myself. Love the sport. Later, QD.

Mafdark
03-13-2011, 10:55 AM
oh, sorry I took your comments the wrong way ...obviously

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Yessir. I won the ST Atlanta Regional championship back in 1999-2000. Back when it was held at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Introductory year of the ST classes. Later, QD.

msanch24
03-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Got a good chuckle out of the past few posts. Props to QD for being a good sport lol.

justnprsh07
03-13-2011, 11:57 AM
So let me get this right... they put some cones up in a parking lot and ONE car at a time goes through the cones and you get a time??? Don't seem to fun to me I thought yal were on a track running all together

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2011, 12:04 PM
That's right. To some it's fun and to others it isn't. Just like anything else in this world. Later, QD.

Mafdark
03-13-2011, 12:38 PM
So let me get this right... they put some cones up in a parking lot and ONE car at a time goes through the cones and you get a time??? Don't seem to fun to me I thought yal were on a track running all together

The point of it is learning car control and driving at the limits. To drive in events where you're wheel to wheel requires you to get a license which typically means a minimum of 5 HPDE events which normally cost around $300-$450 per weekend, plus more advanced safety equipment. And then once you have all that you're going to need a truck, trailer, and a car that you don't give a shit about when you smash up the fenders every race.

The huge advantage to autocross is that you can show up with your daily driver (or hell, a rental car). pay $30-$40, borrow a helmet, and your good to go with very little risk of additional costs (mechanical/costmetic damage)

justnprsh07
03-13-2011, 01:17 PM
O alright then guess I would just half to try it to see but have u guys ever been to barber I normally go for the porshe 250 and the roles 500 every year bc we get free tickets and I know that like once a month they let street cars on the track don't know if they let more than one at a time but think it would be alot funner than some cones

Mafdark
03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Cones are fun, and a bargain. HPDEs are really fun, but expensive so its not something you can do frequently.

I wish I didn't sell my track car. :(
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/22051_618581306185_24409620_35611976_7140678_n.jpg

quickdodgeŽ
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
O alright then guess I would just half to try it to see but have u guys ever been to barber I normally go for the porshe 250 and the roles 500 every year bc we get free tickets and I know that like once a month they let street cars on the track don't know if they let more than one at a time but think it would be alot funner than some cones

Running on a track probably is more fun the racing around cones. But any chance where you can open up your car a bit and have some fun screaming around corners for only a few dollars is a chance for some fun in itself. Later, QD.

boosted347
03-13-2011, 06:44 PM

As far as this goes, driving a 15 second car in a straight line isnt that fun yes, but lining that same 15 sec car vs your buddies 15 sec car is fun because of the head to head competition, my roots lie in drag racing, but i like all types of racing. You seem to be looking down on drag racing but getting on to someone, who at the time you thought was looking down on autocross, its personal opinion, some people like the adrenaline rush or straight line racing while some prefer the "precision" driving of autocross

justnprsh07
03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
drag racing is tons of fun when you got something worth racing

bseriesus
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Everyone has there preference when it come to automotive hobbies(auto x, drag racing, drifting, etc,etc)
Neither is more superior than the other. It's all about enjoying the sport and hobbies as a whole.
That's just my two cents

boosted347
03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Everyone has there preference when it come to automotive hobbies(auto x, drag racing, drifting, etc,etc)
Neither is more superior than the other. It's all about enjoying the sport and hobbies as a whole.
That's just my two cents

this right here is truth :goodjob:

mr.koupe
03-15-2011, 07:07 AM
70's and sunny on sunday!

mr.koupe
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Ok who is going and we need to agree on a roll out place/time!

1. Meeee.

I say same place same time!

-S Double C-
03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
anyone needing a helmet i got a bad ass icon helmet for 300 very little use

justnprsh07
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
i got one to for 100 hjc

nycclaye
03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
remember guys the helmets have to have the DOT approval sticker inside em. Autox helmets must meet specific standards since this is an SCCA Event.

To the ones who hate on auto-x, come try it. If you can beat everyone out there, then talk trash about it. If you can't, then apparently you've still got more learning to do and that's always a fun process.

As for the HPDE price comments, you can normally catch a Saturday or sunday track day at little tally or RA for anywhere from 150-200 but the normal reason it's so high is bc you're paying for the usage of the transponders. HPDE to me is still the most fun of any and all racing. It's great to have a $19k car walk down and walk away from a $40-60K one lol.

Then again, it's also kinda crappy when a 40-50K car get's smashed by a EK or EG that costs $3k, weighs 2k lbs, and looks like a poop box lol.

With HPDE's you never know what to expect, and your car is tested. WIth autox, you are tested more as a driver and your ability to control your car is tested. With drag racing, the power of your car is tested. IMO each has different areas of expertise and it's hard to have a great blend in all areas, but it's fun to try em all so don't knock em and let's all ride up and have a great time.

This time, my ass is racing and I'm covered at work lol.

nycclaye
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
did we setup a roll out time and place yet? i say Sonic at 9:30 again :)

mr.koupe
03-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Sorry guys change of plans. Not gonna be able to make it