PDA

View Full Version : 94 gsr : starting problems

inutero93
03-05-2011, 09:20 PM
hello

i have 94 gsr . stock ..

im having problems when im trying to start the car (http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=44800585#) .. when the key is in the #2 position no dash lights or fuel pump come on .. when i go to crank it .. it start then dies right after .. i take the key out and try again and dash lights come on and fuel pump kicks on when the key is in the #2 position so i go to try to crank it it still acts up it takes me around five tries before the car fully starts .. now when it started running i noticed the ebrake and door open indicator light were flickering every other min ..

so i gave it about ten min and tried it again car turned on with no problems and no flickering in the dash lights ...

haynes manual is not really helping .. it just tells me to check alternator plug and dizzy plug ..

can anyone pin point me in the right direction ?

thanks

jon

SLow_POke
03-05-2011, 09:38 PM
do any other ligths come on? starters give u the weirdest symptoms. i would have ur chargin system checked. i believe u might have a bad alternator.

inutero93
03-05-2011, 10:07 PM
yeah all my other lights work fine only the dash indicator lights were flickering .. but then they stopped .. i was told to try to swap out the main relay .. but ive never seen a main relay do this .. im going to check in the am and go from there

thanks for the reply

slostang
03-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like possibly a bad relay somewhere.

gsrteg
03-06-2011, 12:38 AM
check your grounding cables (if theres corrosion, sand it off. check the one on the thermostat housing). check if all your power cables are tightened properly (to and from the battery). Definitely check the power cable to your starter, sometimes it gets loose (just simply clean the contacts and tighten it down good). Check all your fuses. And check if you battery is holding charge (should read above 12 volts alone).

1civic
03-06-2011, 01:01 AM
check your grounding cables (if theres corrosion, sand it off. check the one on the thermostat housing). check if all your power cables are tightened properly (to and from the battery). Definitely check the power cable to your starter, sometimes it gets loose (just simply clean the contacts and tighten it down good). Check all your fuses. And check if you battery is holding charge (should read above 12 volts alone).
Good start: Plus check Ground strap on the tranny, and Ignition switch(wiggle key to see a difference), ignition switch plugs, check all connection to fuse box, also check pack of grounds in the driver side kick panel(single 10mm with a pack of blk wires)..

inutero93
03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
thanks for all the help guys . im about to start working on it now

inutero93
03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
ok the relay was not the problem .. now when i put the key in the #2 position no dash lights are coming on not even the fuel pump .. going to try the volt meter on the plugs per haynes manual

inutero93
03-06-2011, 05:10 PM
thanks for the help guys ... the issue was the ignition .. the car would only stay running if i held the key in the #3 position .. went to the junkyard grabbed one .. and the db is back on road!!!!

1civic
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
thanks for the help guys ... the issue was the ignition .. the car would only stay running if i held the key in the #3 position .. went to the junkyard grabbed one .. and the db is back on road!!!!
Your welcome!!:goodjob:

gsrteg
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
no problem