PDA

View Full Version : Compression test question for 05ish Civic

Matt300ZXT
03-05-2011, 11:15 AM
My sister has an 05ish Civic base model, give or take a year. She had an accident today where she hit her front bumper on a guard rail. She said it looked like it just screwed the bumper up so she kept driving. After a little while she said her Coolant Warning light came on so she pulled over and shut the car off. I told her it sounds like if she shut it off right when it came on, she may not have a blown headgasket but just a cracked radiator, but that I have the tools to do a compression test on it.

Anyways my question is, what would the stock figures be for a motor they put in that generation of Civic? Also, I know on older cars it's easy to pull a coil wire and fuel supply so the engine could be compression tested w/o the engine wanting to fire up and run. I've never seen the engine in this car so I don't know what it's like, but could someone maybe suggest some fuses to pull, and where they are to kill power to the fuel pump, and if it has a traditional distributor so the coil wire could be pulled as well, or does it have COP, necessitating pulling maybe a fuse for the ignition? The car isn't anywhere near my house so it's not like I can just drive up there real fast and if I missed something and need to Google it, I can just run right back home. So I need to go out there armed with as much knowledge as possible, and so I know to take all the tools with me I'd need.

Theycall_Metue
03-05-2011, 12:01 PM
shouldnt blow a head gasket.
look for fuel pump fuse under the dash if im correct.
should be k series also if im correct.

what i do, leave it or take it. i just unplug all the wires for the spark plug, so it wont get sparks. take the plugs out one by one after each test and put it back after that cylinder's test. if all the compression numbers are the same than its good. couple number off would be fine but if there is a large dip, 150/150/80/150, than you got a problem.

Matt300ZXT
03-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Um, I'm sure it hasn't changed but on other cars I've always read to take ALL the plugs out for the test.

Anywho, w/o even trying to get my help, my dad just went ahead and turned it in on insurance so he's paying a $500 deductible for a $60 shipped used radiator, and depending on how bad the bumper is, just buying a used one and bolting it on. How many silver 01-05 (it's an 04) Civics are running around being parted out, stock body parts sold to replace with body kits, etc...like 3 million? Oh well, they can pay $500 for it.

Another problem she hadn't told me was the airbag light on the dash came on but the bag didn't deploy...sounds like a huge problem Honda needs to address. Anyone know anything about recalls for this problem? You'd think people would be suing the piss out of Honda for a life saving device not working when it's supposed to.

slostang
03-05-2011, 07:21 PM
It should have COP ignition, just remove all the coils and plugs then test the compression. You'll be fine.