PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Clear Coat/Polishing GSR Blades- "Advice Needed"

a94civicex
02-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Okay, I just picked up a set of polished gsr blades today from "big mac" & the "clear-coat" is peeling up on the faces & inner part of the spokes! I'm looking for info on what grit sandpaper I should use to pull the remaining clear-coat off & as far as the inner part of the spokes I'm not worried about because I'm planning on scuffing them up & spraying silver! So will 800 grit be too much or too less on pulling the clear off or would 1000 grit wetsanding do the task at hand & then just go from there to begin the polishing steps! Im doing this by hand, no sander & my highspeed buffer broke & I've got the material needed already! I'm trying to get the "mirror finish look!

Any & all advice is going to useful & helpful.

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Will this work?

use aircraft stripper (blue can) LIBERALLY to remove all the OEM clear coat
under that is a nice polished alloy surface. if necessary wet sand with 800-1200 grit paper to remove corossion. then use a polishing compound to buff out the wet sanding.

Will this allow a shiny polished surface? because my wheels only have clear coat peel with very very light scratches in the OEM clear coat?

blown_ss
02-23-2011, 02:48 PM
i think you can use aircraft remover to get the clear off. just clean them up good afterwards and get to polishing.

not sure why you are trying to do this when you wont keep them. lol. they will be up for trade in a week or two.

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
i think you can use aircraft remover to get the clear off. just clean them up good afterwards and get to polishing.

not sure why you are trying to do this when you wont keep them. lol. they will be up for trade in a week or two.

Thanks for your info bro & I'm planning on keeping the blades as an extra set when I buy my next set of wheels, unless I get an offer on then that I cant turn down.

RsonGt3's
02-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Thanks for your info bro & I'm planning on keeping the blades as an extra set when I buy my next set of wheels, unless I get an offer on then that I cant turn down.
copy cat haha

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
copy cat haha

Please Explain?

RsonGt3's
02-23-2011, 07:09 PM
copy cat haha

Please Explain?
remember when we traded I told you these were just my spare rims cuz I hate steelies

Scotsman
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
lol , those were the blades i had for trade , outside of the peeling clear , they were flawless

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 08:14 PM
remember when we traded I told you these were just my spare rims cuz I hate steelies

Lol, I remember now!

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 08:17 PM
lol , those were the blades i had for trade , outside of the peeling clear , they were flawless

They are dude, you should see how clean I got them with "never dull", there's no black brake dust build up or black spots on them anymore & they shine like crazy! If I do polish them I hope the outcome will be "shocking".

Scotsman
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
it shouldnt take much

a94civicex
02-23-2011, 09:00 PM
it shouldnt take much

Nah I'm thinking of starting with "aircraft paint stripper" then going 600-2000 grit wetsanding & then mother's polish! Does that sound about right?

EJ_Allmota
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Nah I'm thinking of starting with "aircraft paint stripper" then going 600-2000 grit wetsanding & then mother's polish! Does that sound about right?

Yea, that sounds perfect.. if there aint really any marks on them you can strip them with the aircraft stripper then do 1000 grit, 1500 and 2000 wetsanding then polish with mothers..

a94civicex
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Yea, that sounds perfect.. if there aint really any marks on them you can strip them with the aircraft stripper then do 1000 grit, 1500 and 2000 wetsanding then polish with mothers..

Heck yeah bro I'm glad you posted in here, so basically, strip them then start from 1000 grit (wetsand) & go up to 1500 grit (wetsand), then to 2000 grit (wetsand) & finally apply mothers? How you think this should take since I'm not going to have to be starting with a low grit?

blown_ss
02-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Heck yeah bro I'm glad you posted in here, so basically, strip them then start from 1000 grit (wetsand) & go up to 1500 grit (wetsand), then to 2000 grit (wetsand) & finally apply mothers? How you think this should take since I'm not going to have to be starting with a low grit?

there will be less clean up when starting with a higher grit. meaning you wont have to cover up as many sand marks. im really not sure which way would be faster/easier. a lower grit will get it started faster but then again it would be more clean up. either way i hope you dont enjoy your finger tips. lol. good luck man.

a94civicex
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
there will be less clean up when starting with a higher grit. meaning you wont have to cover up as many sand marks. im really not sure which way would be faster/easier. a lower grit will get it started faster but then again it would be more clean up. either way i hope you dont enjoy your finger tips. lol. good luck man.

Lol, I don't plan on doing it without gloves! I may try to get a buddys palm sander to help out!

NoWAyItZTOMmY
02-24-2011, 05:29 PM
the blades were flawless, they were polished by mothers LOL

a94civicex
02-24-2011, 08:33 PM
the blades were flawless, they were polished by mothers LOL

flawless, they aren't flawless with clear coat peel dude, they will be after I get done with them though!

EJ_Allmota
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM

shouldnt take too long but dont rush.. id say about 4 hours.. the key is to let the paper do the sanding, do not apply too much pressure and dont move on to another grit until everywhere you are sanding looks about the same.. I usually use soapy water because as you sand with a girt the soap will turn black, you keep dipping in a bucket for fresh soap water and when the soap no longer gets black with metal materiel you have basically reached the peak of what that grit you are on will do.. i hope that helps..

a94civicex
02-24-2011, 10:36 PM
shouldnt take too long but dont rush.. id say about 4 hours.. the key is to let the paper do the sanding, do not apply too much pressure and dont move on to another grit until everywhere you are sanding looks about the same.. I usually use soapy water because as you sand with a girt the soap will turn black, you keep dipping in a bucket for fresh soap water and when the soap no longer gets black with metal materiel you have basically reached the peak of what that grit you are on will do.. i hope that helps..

Thanks bro for all your advice, I may start them tomorrow or Saturday! So 4hrs a wheel or all together?

EJ_Allmota
02-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks bro for all your advice, I may start them tomorrow or Saturday! So 4hrs a wheel or all together?
id say 4hrs all together but you are new to this so id say 6 or so.. good luck..

a94civicex
02-25-2011, 06:23 AM
id say 4hrs all together but you are new to this so id say 6 or so.. good luck..

Thats what I like to hear because I was thinking it would take 20+hrs for all (4), lol

a94civicex
02-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Complete & they are shiny as fawk! Got the mirror effect going on! Toolk 4.5hrs to do all (4), still got the center caps to polish but the hardest part is completed! Feels Good...

deondre
02-27-2011, 03:22 AM
post pics!!!!! then trade for my minty fresh wheels and tires! 205/40/16 , lmk!

a94civicex
02-27-2011, 08:26 AM
post pics!!!!! then trade for my minty fresh wheels and tires! 205/40/16 , lmk!

I can send you some pics, not around my computer to upload pics, plus pics don't do any justice! Just curious to know what kind of wheels you got because I'm not looking to trade but will take offers, lol

blown_ss
02-27-2011, 07:21 PM
i noticed you had these up for sale on cl. i just shook my head. you need to change your name to wheel whore. lol.

a94civicex
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
i noticed you had these up for sale on cl. i just shook my head. you need to change your name to wheel whore. lol.

Yeah, lol I put them on there just to see what offers I'd get & you wouldn't believe some of them, lol. Wheels look good though don't they being my 1st time ever polishing!