PDA

View Full Version : B18C1 > 94 Civic DX Swap.... Emissions?

psycho_freke
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I know this is a common swap, so I was hoping someone could help...

I have a wrecked 96 GSR and a 94 Civic DX in my driveway. I'm wanting so bad to swap the B18 into the Dx, and I've googled for a couple days on the subject. I know I have to run 2 wires for the vtec, but I'm having an issue coming up with answers to the following questions:

1. Is there a way to use the Integra's ECU with the swap since I don't have the cash for another OBD1 ECU? (P06 obviously isn't going to work)

2. If I can use the Integra's ECU, I should be able to use the Integra's cat and both O2 sensors, right?

3. If I'm running an OBD2 system in an OBD1 car, how will I pass emissions?

psycho_freke
02-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Or would I really be better off trying to find a way to buy an OBD1 ECU (which might be a problem since it'll take up all of my strut money... and my struts are GONE)

psycho_freke
02-19-2011, 02:34 PM
After a little more googling (and searching hondaswap.com) it seems everyone recommends the OBD1 ECU with the swap :\

Black4DrEK
02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Obd1 ecu.. P28. Get one. It will make things easy.

Also a jumper harness for you OBD2 Distibutor. Also you will hard wire in your OBD2 injector clips.

Thats about it basically....

psycho_freke
02-19-2011, 03:18 PM

Also a jumper harness for you OBD2 Distibutor. Also you will hard wire in your OBD2 injector clips.

P28? I would have thought an OBD1 P72... P28 is SOHC
P28 ecu does not have the output for the iab control
Also, the P28 will leave the secondary butterflies open in the IM
which will lead to shitty low end power...

As far as the OBD2 Dizzy, I found this thread on hondaswap.com:
how to rewire obd2 alternator to obd1 car
(http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/how-rewire-obd2-alternator-obd1-car-88690/)

Also, what are you referring to with hardwiring the injector clips?
I don't remember reading anything about that on any of the other 500 threads
I've read all over the net.

silversol
02-19-2011, 03:59 PM

Some misinformation. yeah he can use the obd2 ecu But He does not need to jump anything for the distributer or the injectors. The obd2 integra harness plugs right into the obd1 civic shock tower harness.

psycho_freke
02-19-2011, 04:19 PM
yeah, but the OBD1 harness doesn't plug into the OBD2 ECU...
And if I'm not mistaken, the wiring for the civic's ECU connector
doesn't match the pinout for the OBD1 P72

And for the OBD1 ECU I believe there is also this?:

For the IAB you will need to move A20 to A17. Since you will be using the OBD2 engine harness and an OBD1 GS-R ECU you will need to cut the black wire at the IAB plug and give it a 12V switched source. You can get this from the yel/blk wire at the injectors or the IACV.

The reason this needs to be done is due to the fact that the OBD1 GS-R ECU uses a negative trigger to activate the IAB and the OBD2 GS-R ECU uses a positive trigger to activate the IAB. If you use the OBD2 GS-R engine harness with the OBD1 GS-R ECU the IAB will not work by just moving A20 to A17 (as with an OBD1 GS-R ECU and OBD1 GS-R engine harness).

http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/obd2-b18c1-into-5th-gen-civic-29116/

Although I can follow directions and make the wiring changes if I must..

psycho_freke
02-20-2011, 09:03 AM
The big problem is, this is my only car... so I need to be 100% sure it's going to run right when I get done. I've got a bad TDC sensor (low ohms) in the civic and a Purge flow problem in the integra, but they both run smooth... so I don't see any reason why the GSR motor won't run smooth once I get it into the civic... if it's done right...

It needs to hold up to 90+ miles of travel each day like it has done for me in the past without me worrying about getting stuck on the road somewhere because something wasn't wired right.
I'm confident in my abilities, assuming I get good information...