PDA

View Full Version : I hate craigslist

Mafdark
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Regardless of how many promising emails I get I can never seem to be able to have an easy simple sale. Either people want to low ball the shit out of me, or just waste hours of my time with questions and then in the end they don't have any money. As much as I HATE the scam that is paypal, it seems like there is no way to avoid it. All I'm trying to do is empty out my shed for cheap but I'm getting nowhere.

The most recent example:

Aftermarket, Turbo and Honda auto parts (St. Marys)
Michael S
11:22 PM (19 hours ago)
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
Pictures of walbro w/ honda kit please. Is this a legit walbro or an Ebay knock off?

Mike F
Pictures are attached. It's legit.
5:15 PM (1 hour ago)

Michael S
willing to ship this?
5:21 PM (1 hour ago)

Mike F
Yes, but I would need a money order mailed to me first. I am no longer accept paypal.
5:23 PM (1 hour ago)

Michael S
fuck that! That is sketchy as hell.
6:23 PM (30 minutes ago)

Mike F
to Michael
show details 6:24 PM (28 minutes ago)
this is on craigslist, not ebay. if you want it come pick it up, look it over, and pay cash.

silversol
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah I would not send a money order either. I have had zero issues with paypal. welcome to life.

msanch24
02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
FUCKING hate craigslist. Ive been wheelin and dealin on CL for a few years now. I have to be honest, and there is no other way to put it, but CL is responsible for my lack of faith in humanity. People are just retarded. End of story.

silversol
02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
FUCKING hate craigslist. Ive been wheelin and dealin on CL for a few years now. I have to be honest, and there is no other way to put it, but CL is responsible for my lack of faith in humanity. People are just retarded. End of story.

Agreed But its not just craigslist. Forums as well I think alot of it is that with imports its mostly "kids" that want something for nothing. It amazes me how people will try to argue the price on 5 and 10 dollar idems or something thats already stupid cheap, And they dont seem to understand why I will not meet them across town to sell a 5 or 10$ idem.

RsonGt3's
02-13-2011, 06:45 PM
yea yea Craigslist is full of bs but you gatto sell shit some how!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

chaseamundo
02-13-2011, 06:59 PM
CL can suck a nut.period.

Mafdark
02-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah I would not send a money order either. I have had zero issues with paypal. welcome to life.

I feel like I should've made this thread about paypal... I've used ebay since the start when everything was done money orders. Now with paypal they take 3% of everything and they have NEVER protected me when I got scammed. In fact I stopped using it because through the course of 3 months when I sold my old motor and bought my new one I got paid with stolen credit cards and paypal is after me for over $4k because their policy is to return the stolen money from the seller despite me having the guy's phone number, address, and signature on the delivery confirmation.

Look it up, this can happen to anyone. I had no idea I was paid with a CC and no idea that paypal could just freeze the funds that I got for my part + shipping.

Then on top of that my new motor came in broken with lots of parts missing. Paypal straight up denied my claim telling me that all they ensure is that something gets shipped to me. It could have been shit a in box and as long as that seller had a shipping # they were going to deny my claim.

Both of these issues after being a paypal member for something like 9 years. I can't imagine how much money they have made off me by offering a false sense of security.

Maybe its just buying and selling and dealing with dickwads that I hate. but like this other guy said, gotta sell shit somehow.

Bacon
02-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Just gotta know what to look for and how to pick out scams on CL. I deal with CL all the time and never had any issues.

Blitanicle99
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I feel like I should've made this thread about paypal... I've used ebay since the start when everything was done money orders. Now with paypal they take 3% of everything and they have NEVER protected me when I got scammed. In fact I stopped using it because through the course of 3 months when I sold my old motor and bought my new one I got paid with stolen credit cards and paypal is after me for over $4k because their policy is to return the stolen money from the seller despite me having the guy's phone number, address, and signature on the delivery confirmation.

Look it up, this can happen to anyone. I had no idea I was paid with a CC and no idea that paypal could just freeze the funds that I got for my part + shipping.

Then on top of that my new motor came in broken with lots of parts missing. Paypal straight up denied my claim telling me that all they ensure is that something gets shipped to me. It could have been shit a in box and as long as that seller had a shipping # they were going to deny my claim.

Both of these issues after being a paypal member for something like 9 years. I can't imagine how much money they have made off me by offering a false sense of security.

Maybe its just buying and selling and dealing with dickwads that I hate. but like this other guy said, gotta sell shit somehow.

Any suggestions other than Paypal?

Ever tried Google Checkout or similar? I have a customer wanting to buy a machine off me with a credit card and I'm trying to find the most cost effective way to do it and also safest. Can't be screwing around with 8k

Bacon
02-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Man, find that shit on eBay. If you DID send a money order and got your parts, I would be amazed.

Humphrizzle
02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I refuse to use paypal. too many horror stories. fuck that noise. I've had no problems receiving money orders for parts i've sold on forums.

I ask that the money order arrive before i send out the part. Fuck the retards that refuse it.

Mafdark
02-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Any suggestions other than Paypal?

Ever tried Google Checkout or similar? I have a customer wanting to buy a machine off me with a credit card and I'm trying to find the most cost effective way to do it and also safest. Can't be screwing around with 8k

I looked into google checkout after this all went down and it seemed promising, but you have to be a business to use it. They won't let an individual register and therefore I can't really see how it works if someone does charge back.

And that reminds me of whats really wrong with paypal. If you pay with a credit card you can do a charge back 180 days after you make the payment. At that point, your money gets refunded to your credit card company by paypal and can ONLY be overturned if the seller proves to your credit card company via information submitted through paypal that they did in fact sell it to YOU. So if you simply sign someone elses name, or have it shipped to a neighbor, its impossible for them to prove it.

Man, find that shit on eBay. If you DID send a money order and got your parts, I would be amazed.

That's how ebay worked for years!

miro_gt
02-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I almost got scammed when I bought something using paypal and did not receive it. I opened a claim through paypal and won it. However, the seller closed his bank account that was linked to his paypal .. and no funds available to refund. In short, I was out over 500...

some 2 or 3 months after that I happened to receive the part - only because the seller wanted to keep good reputation over a reputable forum, so that others could keep placing orders. He asked me to remove my claim from paypal as he sent me the part. Well, since it was my turn, I said F that .. and did not do anything about it anymore. The claim got closed based on missing information or something like that an year later.

- but, I've bought 2 cars over Craigslist ...kind of takes awhile to sort out the tons of crap that is out there, but if you're consistent enough you eventually find what you want. Never sold anything yet though.

Got Milk?
02-15-2011, 09:21 PM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2216915990.html

i4_garage
02-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Agreed But its not just craigslist. Forums as well I think alot of it is that with imports its mostly "kids" that want something for nothing. It amazes me how people will try to argue the price on 5 and 10 dollar idems or something thats already stupid cheap, And they dont seem to understand why I will not meet them across town to sell a 5 or 10$ idem.

x2

Tech5
02-17-2011, 12:46 AM
I like how just about 80% of things for sale is someone trying to make money off you.

For example

Take what ever you're looking at , and copy and paste their number and search the entire craigslist and google that number and you will see that their are dealers out there trying to act like you don't have to pay taxes, and post in the wrong sections . Also there are many that I seen a car for sale in clayton county and then after weeks it's in another county with different number for sale for more . So it shows that there is a lot of people out there buying cars and LOW BALLING the hell out of someone and then 2 weeks later post it up for way more then they bought it .

DeeAOne
02-17-2011, 04:09 AM
I like how just about 80% of things for sale is someone trying to make money off you.

For example

Take what ever you're looking at , and copy and paste their number and search the entire craigslist and google that number and you will see that their are dealers out there trying to act like you don't have to pay taxes, and post in the wrong sections . Also there are many that I seen a car for sale in clayton county and then after weeks it's in another county with different number for sale for more . So it shows that there is a lot of people out there buying cars and LOW BALLING the hell out of someone and then 2 weeks later post it up for way more then they bought it .sad sad but true. i had a buddy who sold a bone stock civic for like 1100. guy posted it up literally the next day for 3000, claiming it had a built d series. lol

knock on wood ive never had an issue with paypal yet.

also, im pretty sure you dont have to be a business to use google checkout. i used it to buy my girls wheels. i didnt have any issues with that either. :2cents:

JBrakeS2K
02-17-2011, 05:23 AM
i just cant stand all the damn solicitors on craigslist..but it def helped me sell my cars quicker. ive used to it to pick up my s2k, and i was completely satifisfyed. then again, ive heard of people getting raped over it too... literally. paypal has been good to me aswell, i have used it to purchase a lot of car parts - private/commercial sellers. either way, its easy to get screwed doing any transaction over the internet and always best to do it in person - gotta be careful.