PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander dilemma

Bacon
02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Would putting a PCIII on my bike require the use of an ignition module or would that be something extra that may come in handy?

David88vert
02-13-2011, 07:04 AM
You do not need an ignition module to use a PC3. A PC3 controls the fuel injectors, so that you can optimize your A/F ratio. It is usually used when you change something like your intake or exhaust, to flow more air. The additional air can require more fuel to be added to maintain an optimal A/F ratio. SOME bikes can see a small improvement when stock, but my experience has been that it is not necessary for most modern stock street bikes - especially new ones that have better mapping from the factory.

03RCode
02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
You do not need an ignition module to use a PC3. A PC3 controls the fuel injectors, so that you can optimize your A/F ratio. It is usually used when you change something like your intake or exhaust, to flow more air. The additional air can require more fuel to be added to maintain an optimal A/F ratio. SOME bikes can see a small improvement when stock, but my experience has been that it is not necessary for most modern stock street bikes - especially new ones that have better mapping from the factory.

He nailed it.

If you're running some significant exhaust and intake changes I'd recommend one, but nothing else is required with them.

Bacon
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Right now, it has a Yoshi slip on but it's going to get swapped out for a Two Bros twin pipe system. Still gotta figure out why my FI light is on. I don't want to mess anything up so I am going to run it over to the shop tomorrow morning and see what's up. I was considering a PC3 just so that everything runs smooth as mods are thrown on it.

03RCode
02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Okay, that makes sense. Right now, it has a Yoshi slip on but it's going to get swapped out for a Two Bros twin pipe system. Still gotta figure out why my FI light is on. I don't want to mess anything up so I am going to run it over to the shop tomorrow morning and see what's up. I was considering a PC3 just so that everything runs smooth as mods are thrown on it.

Did you do the method I linked you to to pull the code? Could be a simple fix that would save you a chunk to do yourself.

Bacon
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I never got around to that method before driving past the shop so I stopped in and let them do it. It has something to do with a plug and changing the exhaust to aftermarket. They said it's a $400 fix if the plug is damaged.

Worse than that, the shop broke my rear brake pedal but since that particular foot peg was already broke, they gave me an excuse about "well.....since it was laid down on that side.....it probably bent the pedal......blah blah blah"

I can't prove they broke it other than it was working when I pulled into the shop and now it doesn't. Now, either I buy a stock replacement or find a cheap aftermarket rear set.

03RCode
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
I never got around to that method before driving past the shop so I stopped in and let them do it. It has something to do with a plug and changing the exhaust to aftermarket. They said it's a $400 fix if the plug is damaged.

Worse than that, the shop broke my rear brake pedal but since that particular foot peg was already broke, they gave me an excuse about "well.....since it was laid down on that side.....it probably bent the pedal......blah blah blah"

I can't prove they broke it other than it was working when I pulled into the shop and now it doesn't. Now, either I buy a stock replacement or find a cheap aftermarket rear set.

I have no idea what type of plug they are quoting you for $400, seems full of shit to me. I'd pull the code myself and do some research. You can buy a decent folding brake pedal pretty cheap at most good shops.

Bacon
02-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Only problem is where the pedal broke requires me to change the entire rear set on that side; can't just change the pedal itself. It's lame.

I will see about pulling the code myself and find out. I am going to register on ZXforums and get more information anyways.

03RCode
02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Only problem is where the pedal broke requires me to change the entire rear set on that side; can't just change the pedal itself. It's lame.

I will see about pulling the code myself and find out. I am going to register on ZXforums and get more information anyways.

If you have to replace one side rearset might as well do both, Woodcraft makes a quality cheaper set. Don't go with ebay brand rearsets they have been known to break.

Pulling the code is easy. These new bikes are easy to work on don't be afraid to try it.

Bacon
02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I haven't found any woodcraft rear sets for my bike. Found vortex on ebay for 354 shipped though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

David88vert
02-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Ok, when you change the exhaust from stock to a full aftermarket, you eliminate the servo. On a lot of bikes, they measure resistance internally, and will throw an FI code if they do not see the servo. There is an aftermarket adapter for this elimination of the servo, and it usually runs around $100-$150, depending on who you buy it from. Additionally, they probably are planning to make you pay for replacing the rear set that they broke, plus shop labor. All of that would probably be about $400.

My suggestion - buy aftermarket rearsets - look for Vortex or Woodcraft - preferably a used set on Ebay. Those should run you $150-200 for a pair in like new shape. Buy the servo eliminator, do a search on Google for which is the best for your bike. Get the full Two Brothers twin exhaust, and a PC3. Put all of that on yourself (it's easy), and then take it to get it tuned immediately.

Bacon
02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Two questions: who can tune and does it sound right to only go 105.8 miles on a tank?

03RCode
02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Two questions: who can tune and does it sound right to only go 105.8 miles on a tank?

I don't know anyone down around the ATL area, but I know our shop can do it, as well as 2 or three others up here if you don't mind bringing it up here to get tuned.

Bacon
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I can take it anywhere. Im just not familiar with who tunes bikes.

03RCode
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I can take it anywhere. Im just not familiar with who tunes bikes.

I'm sure there are several people down that way that do it. We've got a dyno and have been tuning them for 7+ years now, my boss is an artist with a PC, but there are SEVERAL places up here that do it. I can name atleast 2 or 3 other shops who will treat you right.

Bacon
02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
It doesn't matter to me who does it really as long as it's done. Currently it has a Yoshi RS5 slip-on which will do for the tune. Just need to change some fluids and plugs, get that servo motor eliminator, a new K&N filter, a PC3 and have it tuned. The Two Bros pipes can wait. Will I need a retune when I get the new pipes?

03RCode
02-16-2011, 07:33 PM
It doesn't matter to me who does it really as long as it's done. Currently it has a Yoshi RS5 slip-on which will do for the tune. Just need to change some fluids and plugs, get that servo motor eliminator, a new K&N filter, a PC3 and have it tuned. The Two Bros pipes can wait. Will I need a retune when I get the new pipes?

As long as you stay slip on you should be fine. It may be slightly off, but no where near as bad as not having a PC.

Bacon
02-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Good deal. The rear sets will take priority. I'll post a pic tomorrow to show what broke. You'll be able to see why I am pissed about it.

David88vert
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
In Atlanta, there are a couple of shops that tune well.
For some tunes I go to Rob at MSP Cycle, and for other bikes, I go to Huey at Marietta Motorsports.
A lot of friends of mine like to go to HFD1 Motorsports, and those tunes have always seemed to be correct.
There are plenty of other shops that I have not had any experience with, and others that I would not want to try.

Choose a tuner with care. Get references from people that you trust, and don't be afraid to ask your tuner how long they have been tuning, and what types of bikes that they tune the most.

03RCode
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
In Atlanta, there are a couple of shops that tune well.
For some tunes I go to Rob at MSP Cycle, and for other bikes, I go to Huey at Marietta Motorsports.
A lot of friends of mine like to go to HFD1 Motorsports, and those tunes have always seemed to be correct.
There are plenty of other shops that I have not had any experience with, and others that I would not want to try.

Choose a tuner with care. Get references from people that you trust, and don't be afraid to ask your tuner how long they have been tuning, and what types of bikes that they tune the most.

My R1 was originally tuned at Marietta Motorsports and he had done an excellent job. The tune was near perfect. We put some new plugs in, checked the valves, then just did some VERY minor tweaking to compensate for the fuel I'm running.

David88vert
02-17-2011, 09:49 PM
My R1 was originally tuned at Marietta Motorsports and he had done an excellent job. The tune was near perfect. We put some new plugs in, checked the valves, then just did some VERY minor tweaking to compensate for the fuel I'm running.

I need to take the R1 back over there - these carbs run on black magic - without a laptop, I can't do anything...

Bacon
02-18-2011, 07:28 AM
I am ordering the rear sets from Vortex today and hopefully get my PC3 within a month.

EDIT:

BNIB Vortex rear sets - $210 shipped
seat cowl from ZX6RR - $60 shipped
Two Bros twin system - $650 on Amazon
Power Commander 3 - $250 on eBay.

Two down and two to go. All I need after these parts and a tune will be fresh paint on the body and the wheels powdered gold. :goodjob: and a few carbon pieces.

03RCode
02-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I need to take the R1 back over there - these carbs run on black magic - without a laptop, I can't do anything...

I watched my boss tune a 99 R1... I'm out on the carb thing LOL. Are you running any motor work or just intake/exhaust mods?

David88vert
02-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I watched my boss tune a 99 R1... I'm out on the carb thing LOL. Are you running any motor work or just intake/exhaust mods?

Just intake and exhaust mods on this bike. Stock block.

03RCode
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Just intake and exhaust mods on this bike. Stock block.

I hear ya. I'm sticking with intake/exhaust/tune on mine as well. I don't see a time I'd ever need any more power, and want to try to stay as reliable as possible since I'm already racking up on miles.

Bacon
02-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I have no intentions on "building" my bike. I just want something fun to ride with a few personal touches. I don't do anything over 80mph and it won't see the track.

David88vert
02-19-2011, 06:04 AM
I hear ya. I'm sticking with intake/exhaust/tune on mine as well. I don't see a time I'd ever need any more power, and want to try to stay as reliable as possible since I'm already racking up on miles.

This one already puts out 140rwhp as it sits. Not quite as much as my old R1, but enough for the street.

There is no need to build any bike motor unless you are racing - it's cheaper just to buy a newer bike, and they come out with more power each year.

As for personal touches, this one is on overkill on that. Almost every part of the bike has been changes or modified - even the frame/swingarm is not stock. There's a lot more than people notice.

Bacon
02-19-2011, 06:08 AM
I'd love to throw Marchesini wheels on mine but the factory Ninja wheels look good in gold. Still on the search for more carbon fiber parts.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 05:03 PM
This one already puts out 140rwhp as it sits. Not quite as much as my old R1, but enough for the street.

There is no need to build any bike motor unless you are racing - it's cheaper just to buy a newer bike, and they come out with more power each year.

As for personal touches, this one is on overkill on that. Almost every part of the bike has been changes or modified - even the frame/swingarm is not stock. There's a lot more than people notice.

I hear that. My bike is staying pretty stock, I had the suspension reworked, some bolt on power stuff, some stuff that just fits my own taste aesthetically that most hardcore riders would probably rag on me for... but they don't have to ride it, and just some small touches to make it how I wanted it. I'm not a diehard track guy by any means, but I plan on building an R6 for track day thrashing.

David88vert
02-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Just sold the GSXR-750 track bike.
Have a 929RR to sell next.

Bacon
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I hear that. My bike is staying pretty stock, I had the suspension reworked, some bolt on power stuff, some stuff that just fits my own taste aesthetically that most hardcore riders would probably rag on me for... but they don't have to ride it, and just some small touches to make it how I wanted it. I'm not a diehard track guy by any means, but I plan on building an R6 for track day thrashing.

Same way I am. Making my bike my personal vision.

I did find a company that makes a GP exhaust for my ZX6R though so I may go with that one instead of the Two Bros twin system.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Just sold the GSXR-750 track bike.
Have a 929RR to sell next.

I thought about going 750 for a trackbike but haven't sold myself on the idea of it. After riding my buddies 04?? CBR600RR trackbike for the mod list it's going to be hard to beat dollar for dollar. He has a VERY budget build, and it's impressive. I'd like to stick Yamaha though, just because.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Same way I am. Making my bike my personal vision.

I did find a company that makes a GP exhaust for my ZX6R though so I may go with that one instead of the Two Bros twin system.

What company makes the exhaust you are looking at? Ohhh I just noticed your sig, I'm in the process of finishing up my EMT Plus certifitcation.

Bacon
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
What company makes the exhaust you are looking at? Ohhh I just noticed your sig, I'm in the process of finishing up my EMT Plus certifitcation.

Competition Werkes makes it. Get your license and I can get you a job. Not really any such thing as an EMT +, just Intermediate or Paramedic.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Competition Werkes makes it. Get your license and I can get you a job. Not really any such thing as an EMT +, just Intermediate or Paramedic.

That's just what they call the degree at the school I'm going into. Basically the way it's laid out as soon as it's finished I'll start straight into my Paramedic classes. It's structured as a way to get everything through like one big major.

Bacon
02-20-2011, 10:20 PM
That's just what they call the degree at the school I'm going into. Basically the way it's laid out as soon as it's finished I'll start straight into my Paramedic classes. It's structured as a way to get everything through like one big major.

I've never seen anyone that liked that kind of program. I've been an EMT for three years now and just now starting to get my foot into the door for my Paramedic degree. The Zero to Hero programs run everything into one course and it throws a lot of people off.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 10:26 PM
I've never seen anyone that liked that kind of program. I've been an EMT for three years now and just now starting to get my foot into the door for my Paramedic degree. The Zero to Hero programs run everything into one course and it throws a lot of people off.

I can see where it would. We go through so much stuff it's obnoxious, the only reason I'm doing it is I have been offered a very nice (and also day shift) position at our local EMS once I finish it all up. My entire family is involved in emergency services up here (from 911 dispatch to driving non-emergency transit buses) which definitely helped. Not to mention I had finished all my core classes, my A&P, medical term, and other stuff up the first time I went to school before taking a year off so it wont be AS bad.

I'm looking into that Competition Werkes setup and haven't really found much info on it. I was going to see if it was something I could help you out on through the shop, but we definitely don't carry it.

Bacon
02-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Just let me know. I'm hoping these rear sets hurry up and come in so I can have a rear brake. Using just the front brakes now requires a fresh set of pads.

03RCode
02-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Just let me know. I'm hoping these rear sets hurry up and come in so I can have a rear brake. Using just the front brakes now requires a fresh set of pads.

It's rare I touch my back brakes typically. I've always been a front brake guy. I've got a 2010 Street book in my room I'll look through tonight and let you know tomorrow if we have anything of that sort you might like.

Bacon
02-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Sounds good. I'm not trying to throw too much at it really. Here is my unofficial list of stuff I want for it:

undertail kit
GP exhaust
new taillight - don't want integrated turn signals. want them separate.
rear tire hugger
power commander
misc carbon fiber parts

David88vert
02-21-2011, 06:31 AM
I had a Ladybird can shipped to me from Simon in Japan for my other R1.
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/David88vert/2002%20Yamaha%20R1/DSC00338.jpg

Bacon
02-21-2011, 08:41 AM
That R1 looks good.

David88vert
02-21-2011, 08:46 AM
It's got almost everything that you could do it. Brembro front brakes, Marchesini wheels, Ohlins shock, every intake and exhaust mod, Dr X integrator, etc. Way too much to list. Sold it to a friend when I got my current R1.

Bacon
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Douche delayed the shipment of my rear sets until today. I was supposed to get them today. FML. I did get my seat cowl though.

03RCode
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Douche delayed the shipment of my rear sets until today. I was supposed to get them today. FML. I did get my seat cowl though.

I finally got my CRG's in today. But the lift for the truck is coming in tomorrow, the tires are already here, and the tires that are on it are shot so it's priority.

Bacon
02-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Also ordered a servo motor eliminator and that should be in Friday as well. That will take care of my FI light. Fuck the $400 the shop said it would cost to replace. $60 sounds better.

Catnip
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I've been waiting to order some lowering links and finally did it today. They'll be here tomorrow, so Saturday or Sunday they're going in. Hopefully I can get the rear brakes sorted out asap.

03RCode
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I've been waiting to order some lowering links and finally did it today. They'll be here tomorrow, so Saturday or Sunday they're going in. Hopefully I can get the rear brakes sorted out asap.

Cut down that Yoshi can!

http://wotid.com/pictures/albums/userpics/10001/gsxr_shorty_01_800.jpg

Catnip
03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
It's OFF right now, haha. Broken off bolt and 1 stripped bolt hole. Taking it to work tomorrow to get it straightened out.

03RCode
03-03-2011, 09:11 PM
It's OFF right now, haha. Broken off bolt and 1 stripped bolt hole. Taking it to work tomorrow to get it straightened out.

While you're at it cut it down, move the badge down, and ride out!

Catnip
03-03-2011, 09:21 PM
While you're at it cut it down, move the badge down, and ride out!

Is it really THAT easy?

03RCode
03-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Is it really THAT easy?

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52037

Remove badge, remove endcap, cut down can, cut down core, then put it all back together.

Bacon
03-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I thought about cutting down my Yoshi undertail can but since I am swapping it out this summer, I won't worry with it.

Catnip, what's your rear brake issue? I still have to wire in my pressure switch for my rear brake.

Catnip
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
When I got it, the crush washer on the banjo fitting at the caliper wasn't fresh so it leaked and dripped on the wheel. The PO just let it empty out so it would stop getting on the wheel. I replaced the crush washers and flushed the rear brake system, filled it up, and bled the systyem, but it won't build pressure. The brake pedal mounting bracket looks the slightest bit bent, so it'd be pushing the rod into the master cylinder at an angle... I guess that could be it, but I haven't ordered the bracket yet.

Bacon
03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
That sucks. That's a nice bike you got there too. Ready for a nice long stretch of good weather so I can rack up some miles on mine.

Catnip
03-05-2011, 04:40 PM
That sucks. That's a nice bike you got there too. Ready for a nice long stretch of good weather so I can rack up some miles on mine.

Thanks, man. A friend of mine explained the right bleeding procedure for a bike, so I think that may be the problem.

Lowered it last night:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197762_207059782641795_100000133254947_928996_1815 113_n.jpg

Bacon
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM
I thought about lowering mine with a slight stretch ( I mean no more than a 4" stretch ) but I am going to do a few things to it, repaint it, and sell it so I can get my Busa.

03RCode
03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks, man. A friend of mine explained the right bleeding procedure for a bike, so I think that may be the problem.

Lowered it last night:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197762_207059782641795_100000133254947_928996_1815 113_n.jpg

Your going to want to raise your clamps up on your forks some more. You're losing some serious straight line stability by lowering them, it will also cause turn in to be slightly faster with may catch you off guard. It's almost never recommended to go more than a few mm.

03RCode
03-05-2011, 10:28 PM
That R1 looks good.

Whats the deal with that Blokes Sportbike site? Every time I try to post I get

03RCode, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

And I've been registered for a week now!

Bacon
03-05-2011, 10:47 PM
I post every so often and haven't had an issue. Did you follow through with the registration email?

03RCode
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I post every so often and haven't had an issue. Did you follow through with the registration email?

Immediately. It says my account has been activated just awaiting moderation when I try to do it again.

Bacon
03-05-2011, 10:58 PM
I will shoot Bloke a message and ask him what's up.

It shows you are online.

EDIT: I PM'd Bloke. Waiting on a reply to see if it's something simple.

03RCode
03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
I will shoot Bloke a message and ask him what's up.

It shows you are online.

I can lurk, just not post.

Bacon
03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Should be fixed now.