PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods K series or B series

NVEOUS
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I didn't know where else to post this and I tried using the search function but came up with nothing.

I am between the two. I can't decide which to go with. Is it really worth the expense for the K series? B series is cheaper yes, but will it be as good as a K series down the road? Which is stronger?? Internal and power wise?

If anyone could put some input on this I would really appreciate it. Especially those who have had both...:goodjob:

Thanks in advance

STRteg
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
K series is worth it in the long run IMO, but it depends what your trying to do with the application I have a K24 block with a K20 head I love the power and for 3 months no issues......yet although I heard I will be facing some soon :ninja:

*EFilliated*
02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Lol@ ur Sig, I don't think ur ready to come back. And to the post I say Hseries

K series is worth it in the long run IMO, but it depends what your trying to do with the application I have a K24 block with a K20 head I love the power and for 3 months no issues......yet although I heard I will be facing some soon :ninja:

NoWAyItZTOMmY
02-09-2011, 05:18 PM
what about all the other letters in between? F,H,J

K24cb7coupe
02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
i agree with the second poster.

AV8ter
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Really depends on how much hp you're looking for. 200hp NA? Just stay B-series. I always start dreaming of a k24 frank in my integra but it would honestly be cheaper for me to just go buy a car with a K in it(TSX, Accord, RSX, Ep3 newer SI coupes and sedans). I guess if you're will to ditch all the creature comforts(A/C, P/S) while swapping to a K then it wouldn't be overly expensive assuming you got a good deal on a engine, tranny, and K-Pro. All the little swap parts really start to add the fuck up though...

All depends on your goals... Truth be told I'd rather DD a K24 Teg(with A/C and P/S) over a k20a2 rsx... So I guess it all comes down to what you want, and what you're willing to pay for, and if it makes sense financially.

STRteg
02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Lol@ ur Sig, I don't think ur ready to come back. And to the post I say Hseries

lololol thats cute however if you have the money to play get a K if not stick with an H

NVEOUS
02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Really depends on how much hp you're looking for. 200hp NA? Just stay B-series. I always start dreaming of a k24 frank in my integra but it would honestly be cheaper for me to just go buy a car with a K in it(TSX, Accord, RSX, Ep3 newer SI coupes and sedans). I guess if you're will to ditch all the creature comforts(A/C, P/S) while swapping to a K then it wouldn't be overly expensive assuming you got a good deal on a engine, tranny, and K-Pro. All the little swap parts really start to add the fuck up though...

All depends on your goals... Truth be told I'd rather DD a K24 Teg(with A/C and P/S) over a k20a2 rsx... So I guess it all comes down to what you want, and what you're willing to pay for, and if it makes sense financially.

P/S and A/C went out the door long ago my friend.

And the H series will cost about the same price and the K series will respond to mods much better if I am not mistaken....

I have a B16 block that I can build right now but I don't really want to just swap a Si motor into my civic. A GSR I wouldn't mind since they make more power. I plan on building it right the first time I just cant decide what I want and what people wouldn't expect out of my car when they look at it. I want to hurt peoples feelings when they try me or at least make a damn good impression.

AV8ter
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
H(H2B) is FAR cheaper than K(1/2-1/4 the price in my opinion depending on what you already have). If you don't mind propping your hood, go for it! Cheap to tune, no need for $1000 K-pro, expensive engines or trannies, or expensive swap parts to do a H2b.

What car is it going in?

NVEOUS
02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
i have an ek coupe. ARP'd d series right now. What am I lookingg at as far as price wise for the two??

DustnU
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing. K or H2B for me though. K is much more expensive as far as I've seen and the H2B runs right there with them. For the money H2B all day but for the real power, look and status K. IMO

Oh yeah if you wanna sell the "D" let me know!

NVEOUS
02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing. K or H2B for me though. K is much more expensive as far as I've seen and the H2B runs right there with them. For the money H2B all day but for the real power, look and status K. IMO

Oh yeah if you wanna sell the "D" let me know!

Will do bro. I have thought about jsut turboing my D, but I just had it rebuilt not long ago because my motor started knocking. So its a y7 bottom with a y8 head. I really like the way a K series sits in the bay and all too. And the K comes 6 speed if I'm not mistaken. I really want something that noone else around my town has.

02-10-2011, 05:39 AM

IF u want just 200whp do B series like stated above. If u want 250whp do H2B IF u want 260+whp go K.....simple. And NO NO NO NO NO K series is NOT expensive like that anymore! That was so 6+ years ago. I CANT wait for time to hurry up more where all the B series guys will have NO CHOICE but to upgrade to a K, BUT by then something else would take K series spot. LOL! So i guess those group of peoples will always be behind the curve and will always hide behind the price of the lastest swap!

GOT TO PAY TO PLAY MY FRIEND!!! PAY TO PLAY!

k20a.org! For Sale section!

02-10-2011, 05:44 AM
H(H2B) is FAR cheaper than K(1/2-1/4 the price in my opinion depending on what you already have). If you don't mind propping your hood, go for it! Cheap to tune, no need for $1000 K-pro, expensive engines or trannies, or expensive swap parts to do a H2b.

This is true!

02-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Will do bro. I have thought about jsut turboing my D, but I just had it rebuilt not long ago because my motor started knocking. So its a y7 bottom with a y8 head. I really like the way a K series sits in the bay and all too. And the K comes 6 speed if I'm not mistaken. I really want something that noone else around my town has.

I had a 300whp turbo D, It was fun but i would've got waxed by a 215whp K or H2B. And ur k tranny can be 5 or 6 speed. If u dont mind me asking, whats ur budget? That right there will tell u which direction ur going in.

02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Oh and if u want to go H2b, get with H22jones. Him and his dad are fucking H-series MASTERS!

NVEOUS
02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
IF u want just 200whp do B series like stated above. If u want 250whp do H2B IF u want 260+whp go K.....simple. And NO NO NO NO NO K series is NOT expensive like that anymore! That was so 6+ years ago. I CANT wait for time to hurry up more where all the B series guys will have NO CHOICE but to upgrade to a K, BUT by then something else would take K series spot. LOL! So i guess those group of peoples will always be behind the curve and will always hide behind the price of the lastest swap!

GOT TO PAY TO PLAY MY FRIEND!!! PAY TO PLAY!

k20a.org! For Sale section!

Joined up last night actually and did a fair amount of reading. I beleive I am leaning towards the K. I was suprised to see that you can get a motor thats good for about the same price as a GSR complete motor.

NVEOUS
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
I had a 300whp turbo D, It was fun but i would've got waxed by a 215whp K or H2B. And ur k tranny can be 5 or 6 speed. If u dont mind me asking, whats ur budget? That right there will tell u which direction ur going in.

I don't really have a budget. Ill be doing this swap over the next year or so. I'm the type of person that saves up and buys parts and will install all of them at once so you never know what was coming.

NVEOUS
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Oh and if I'm going to do something, I always do it right the first time. I have learned that you get what you pay for and if you do it cheap the first time its going to break and you're going to have to redo it again. So go big or go home I say.....

dannysun
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
i would go k, fuck h2b

SPOOLIN
02-10-2011, 01:59 PM
depends on budget and goal...if you just want a good swap...k all the way....

If you want to build a powerful turbo car..no sense in spending the extra cash really...unless you are obsessed with being trendy...power is power, no matter which platform you choose.

If you want to build a power all motor car, K is the only WAY.

STRteg
02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
i would go k, fuck h2b

This^

Moseley
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
A friend and I put a K20a2 in his EG in November '06. After 4 years of being a DD, all he's had to replace was the thermostat and the stock EG radiator that started to leak. So the motor has been solid. The car made 218whp right after the swap with bolt ons and a base map in Kpro. After mixing in a few good aftermarket parts, a few good OEM parts, and doing lots of tuning, it made 240whp. It has also had a dozen or more nitrous bottles run through it. You can check it out on my youtube page. This car has been an awesome project since day 1.

www.youtube.com/user/Moseley525

I agree an H2B can be a fast setup for a little cheaper, but if you're the type of person that wants to do things right and be rewarded, I think a K is right for you.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/Moseley525/IMG_0149.jpg
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr295/Moseley525/IMG_0143.jpg

02-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Joined up last night actually and did a fair amount of reading. I beleive I am leaning towards the K. I was suprised to see that you can get a motor thats good for about the same price as a GSR complete motor.

:goodjob:

chaseamundo
02-10-2011, 02:59 PM
H all day.period.

For N/A that is

02-10-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't really have a budget. Ill be doing this swap over the next year or so. I'm the type of person that saves up and buys parts and will install all of them at once so you never know what was coming.

:goodjob: :goodjob:

02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Oh and if I'm going to do something, I always do it right the first time. I have learned that you get what you pay for and if you do it cheap the first time its going to break and you're going to have to redo it again. So go big or go home I say.....

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

RBS
02-10-2011, 03:02 PM
6 gears owns

Moseley
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
stock K20 with a $500 nitrous kit :goodjob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTSM4jJaCE

chaseamundo
02-10-2011, 03:11 PM
H22 . People are pulling the same if not better numbers out of the h than the k for cheaper.

just makes sense to me.

dannysun
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
H22 . People are pulling the same if not better numbers out of the h than the k for cheaper.

just makes sense to me.
hell no k swap make more power, better head, tsx 2.4 with kpro put down 230

chaseamundo
02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
everyone is on the k bandwagon. its a sick motor and all but why spend extra $$$ if you dont have to. just my .02

especially when you can pull equally if not better numbers out of the H.

SilverSurfer
02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
hell no k swap make more power, better head, tsx 2.4 with kpro put down 230

of course it does, .2 bigger displacement and longer stroke

Starrfire
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Personally I want a bolt on k20a2 in my daily. good power and stock honda reliability.

STRteg
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Personally I want a bolt on k20a2 in my daily. good power and stock honda reliability.

QFT

RBS
02-10-2011, 10:25 PM

just makes sense to me.

i know this as well, but i rather the K just for the transmission. again, 6 gears ownz

chaseamundo
02-10-2011, 10:29 PM
yea 6 gears is pretty sweet. if thats what your looking for then b isnt a question anymore.

you just answered your own question .

NVEOUS
02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
everyone is on the k bandwagon. its a sick motor and all but why spend extra $$$ if you dont have to. just my .02

especially when you can pull equally if not better numbers out of the H.

First let me just say that I am not on any type of band-wagon.... I do me and only me. I don't care what the "trend" is. If i like it then I like it.

I have hearrd of the K and just recently started thinking about the swap. Then decided I would research it a little more last night and ask what others views were. I know both engines (K and H) have their advantages/ disadvantages. I am leaning towards the K because of how different it is and the status you get when people hear you have a K swapped car. Almost everyone has a B16, GSR, LS-V, Ls turbo etc... I want to be somewhat different from others.

Yes I know it has already been done for years now, but something that is going to have to be faced is that the B series is not in production anymore. The more kids that do the B swap and blow it up are making the B series blocks dissappear faster and faster. K series is what replaced the B series and is still in production by huge numbers. Eventually The B will become even more expensive and the K will become cheaper over time.

So how many haters are we talkin if I go K series?? lol

02-11-2011, 01:42 AM
Yes I know it has already been done for years now, but something that is going to have to be faced is that the B series is not in production anymore. The more kids that do the B swap and blow it up are making the B series blocks dissappear faster and faster. K series is what replaced the B series and is still in production by huge numbers. Eventually The B will become even more expensive and the K will become cheaper over time.

^^EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*EFilliated*
02-11-2011, 05:51 AM
this thread is pointless, looking at ur quote "so how many haters are we talking if I go kseries lol" u must enjoy people bitching back an fourth on what they think is best blah blah blah, please do us all a favor and ask legitimate questions instead of peoples opinions. Thanx

First let me just say that I am not on any type of band-wagon.... I do me and only me. I don't care what the "trend" is. If i like it then I like it.

I have hearrd of the K and just recently started thinking about the swap. Then decided I would research it a little more last night and ask what others views were. I know both engines (K and H) have their advantages/ disadvantages. I am leaning towards the K because of how different it is and the status you get when people hear you have a K swapped car. Almost everyone has a B16, GSR, LS-V, Ls turbo etc... I want to be somewhat different from others.

So how many haters are we talkin if I go K series?? lol

Black4DrEK
02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Since you are ONLY reffering to B series and K series..

Is that honestly a question? K series over B series. STOCK.

You can Build a B series all you want. You can also build a K all you want.. Which one do you think will be better!!???

K

but like said above.. Lets not even Get into the K vs H bullshit!

Also to the K owners.... Have you ever had an BUILT H2b? or are you just comparing because you "LIKE" your K series better?

K24cb7coupe
02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
in an accord, i still say k>h. everyone has an h22 and i have had a few and i am no longer impressed. i can run 15psi on my K and make 460 and still have daily reliability. stock k's are making 500. try that with your b,f, or hseries....

NVEOUS
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Now I didn't mean to burn anyones ass when I stated "how many haters will I have if I go k?" that was supposed to be a joke that some people didn't catch.

I honestly want a good debate. Everyone is saying which they like better and there has been one person that has had both a k and h answer. I am leaning towards the k not gonna lie but I'm open to ideas.

Anything can make. Power with the bank roll to back it up.

02-11-2011, 09:39 PM
stock k's are making 500. try that with your b,f, or hseries....

OH NO NO NO! STOCK K'S ARE MAKING 814WHP!...... WWW.K20A.ORG. DO A SEARCH! STOCK SLEEVES!

NVEOUS
02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
OH NO NO NO! STOCK K'S ARE MAKING 814WHP!...... WWW.K20A.ORG. DO A SEARCH! STOCK SLEEVES!

thats insane yo!!!!!

SPOOLIN
02-11-2011, 11:00 PM
yes, but they don't last nearly as long by leaps and bounds as a built one...so case dismissed lol. I dont care what it CAN do, I want to know what it will consistently do.

h22 jones
02-11-2011, 11:44 PM
lmao thats all i can say . If you dont have anything intelligent to say please dont say anything at all you make yourself look like an idiot. If this offends you then that should tell you something.

h22 jones
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Just for the record there is a stock b16 making 600hp on honda tech and has been daily driven for almost a year but that is beside the point .

02-12-2011, 06:07 AM
yes, but they don't last nearly as long by leaps and bounds as a built one...so case dismissed lol. I dont care what it CAN do, I want to know what it will consistently do.

but matt, that one i just mentioned was going over a year with NO PROBLEMS at the time:goodjob:

02-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Just for the record there is a stock b16 making 600hp on honda tech and has been daily driven for almost a year but that is beside the point .

actually thats really good.

SPOOLIN
02-12-2011, 07:19 AM
but matt, that one i just mentioned was going over a year with NO PROBLEMS at the time:goodjob:

That's fine. Ask him how many times he has pushed that much power through he might lie and say "all the time" but that would be complete horse shit. He runs 400whp and rolls out with his one time dyno sheet. No since in nut swinging over an engine platform because doing so doesn't do anything for yourself. If i saw a thread about a 900 Hp stock block b series I would just laugh.

www.MSSRACING.com

AV8ter
02-12-2011, 08:19 AM

I am leaning towards the K because of how different it is and the status you get when people hear you have a K swapped car.

Um......? Sounds like the band-wagon to me brahhhh. You said you you want to build your car for you and you only, and that you want ppl to be all over your knob when you pop the hood of your car..... In the same post.....

SPOOLIN
02-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Um......? Sounds like the band-wagon to me brahhhh. You said you you want to build your car for you and you only, and that you want ppl to be all over your knob when you pop the hood of your car..... In the same post.....

Lol good bust there !!

www.MSSRACING.com

AV8ter
02-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Lol good bust there !!

www.MSSRACING.com

I had to do a double take when I was bumming through his post lol.

OP, do what you want man. Just dont K swap just to say you did, and just so you can tell ppl you did.

Black4DrEK
02-12-2011, 09:24 AM
End of thread

chaseamundo
02-12-2011, 09:44 AM

EXACTLY what i was going to say.period.

02-12-2011, 12:17 PM
If i saw a thread about a 900 Hp stock block b series I would just laugh.

www.MSSRACING.com

Me too matt........but we know THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! LOL!

NVEOUS
02-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Ouch definately didn't realize I had done that lol :facepalm:

But I wouldn't do the swap just to say I did or to tell people I did. That's not what I'm all about yeah I may mention it and all but I'm not gonna sit there and brag about it. Yes you get a certain status when you go k but that will not be the main reason I go k. If I go k it will be because I want something fun and something that responds well to mods. I don't wanna get bored with it you know.

SPOOLIN
02-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I do not place someone in a category known as "status" when i see them with a K series. I could convert to K series if i wanted to, i just simply find that the simplest thing for a race car is the simplest design. maybe if 2012 doesn't come to fruition ill switch LOL.

Now if I was an all motor guy, I would DEF already have K and it would make more than 275whp ;) ........more like 375.

02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
I do not place someone in a category known as "status" when i see them with a K series. I could convert to K series if i wanted to, i just simply find that the simplest thing for a race car is the simplest design. maybe is 2012 doesn't come to fruition ill switch LOL.

LOL!

02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Now if I was an all motor guy, I would DEF already have K and it would make more than 275whp ;) ........more like 375.

LOL! then ur talking about a non vtec k and $10k+ later!!! But then ur trying to do low 10's with 375-400whp all motor K!

SPOOLIN
02-13-2011, 10:58 AM
yeah VTAK FTL

Moseley
02-13-2011, 11:49 AM

:goodjob:

1d10t
02-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Why not a J series with type S 6 speed? I bet an all motor built v6 would be pretty gnarly, costly, but gnarly.

Anyways, K series is newer technology. So obviously it out performs the B at least bolt on for bolt on. The power is in the cylinder head. I recently viewed an rsx-s with I/H/E and Kpro put down 214whp on a mustang. Impressive
On the other hand, Bseries can still be potent. Sleeved and built, ported head. Although peak numbers get thrown around forums, it would be nice to compare dyno graphs to see actual powerbands, as torque and power ramp up will be different. Or better yet, time slips

josh green
02-13-2011, 04:18 PM
LOL! then ur talking about a non vtec k and $10k+ later!!! But then ur trying to do low 10's with 375-400whp all motor K!
$10k??? Yeah right.

ejohnson88
02-17-2011, 04:14 AM
yeah $10k is what your looking at to do a K Swap from all brand new, top of the line brand name parts. And to have it all setup for future mods... Trust me, I know this one ;)

02-17-2011, 04:52 AM
when i said $10k+, i'm talking about building a 375-400whp ALL MOTOR drag setup. NOT just for a kswap. hell no a kswap u can do for $3-5k depending on brand name this and who installs that etc etc. For example, if I were building a 400whp all motor monster i would DEFINETLY use stephan's(ASP) Exit hood header, $1949.99:

http://www.advancedstreetperformance.com/img/header18_lg.jpg

Thats $2k in just the damn header! And if u think ur gonna get 400whp or close to it all motor using SSR headers, THINK AGAIN!! LOL! And again, it would be for the DRAG STRIP ONLY! It would NEVER see the street!

SPOOLIN
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
$10k on just the long block wouldn't be enough.

Josh Green

AV8ter
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Josh Green

Agreed.

02-18-2011, 06:02 AM

Josh Green

I know. i did say "+". but i looked at some numbers for a 400whp all motor setup and it would actually be around $20-25k.

josh green
02-18-2011, 06:43 AM
I know. i did say "+". but i looked at some numbers for a 400whp all motor setup and it would actually be around $20-25k.

Man to run a 375-400whp all motor setup its more like $35k. When your leasing cylinder heads instead of buying them, your making some power.

02-18-2011, 06:59 AM
Man to run a 375-400whp all motor setup its more like $35k. When your leasing cylinder heads instead of buying them, your making some power.

Well yeah i was just about to say that drag cartel has a "turn key" package right now for $35k but that if u dont want to go thru the hassle of put stuff together urself.

josh green
02-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Well yeah i was just about to say that drag cartel has a "turn key" package right now for $35k but that if u dont want to go thru the hassle of put stuff together urself.

Jeremy has the best shit out right now period. Piecing together everything still is around that same price for a lesser product, I wouldn't waste my time assembling the shortblock in such an application. Honestly for the performance that you get it, all motor isnt worth the cost at that level.

9civichatch3
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
B all the way. Love my B18C. I will go K one day, but will stay B as long as I can !!

*EFilliated*
03-07-2011, 10:38 PM
D-series FTW

EJ6
03-07-2011, 11:06 PM
D-series FTW

x2

spank
03-08-2011, 06:19 AM
if it was just as cheap to do k series there would be no more b,d or h series....lol