PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic With Lucas?

deondre
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
hey guys, has anyone mixed synthetic oil with lucas? i kno they say not to mix synthetic with anything, but then again "THEY" say not to do alot of stuff in life,lol.

im currently running 10w30 synthetic and want to start mixing them because, i've heard from a couple of buddies of mine, and online that its supposed to slow down oil consumption ( because im around 1qt every 1k miles) and also because my valves are noticeably loud (yes, they were previously adjusted by professionals..) and i also heard it quiets them down a bit... and all the other magical stuff its said to do on the bottle...

so, yes, do it? because....
no, dont do it! because....
or do it with non synthetic...

blown_ss
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
hey guys, has anyone mixed synthetic oil with lucas? i kno they say not to mix synthetic with anything, but then again "THEY" say not to do alot of stuff in life,lol.

im currently running 10w30 synthetic and want to start mixing them because, i've heard from a couple of buddies of mine, and online that its supposed to slow down oil consumption ( because im around 1qt every 1k miles) and also because my valves are noticeably loud (yes, they were previously adjusted by professionals..) and i also heard it quiets them down a bit... and all the other magical stuff its said to do on the bottle...

so, yes, do it? because....
no, dont do it! because....
or do it with non synthetic...

this could be part of the reason why you are getting crapy mpg.

Theycall_Metue
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
If your still burning a crap loud of oil with synthetic, you got a problem.
I burn a very little amount of oil in vtec at shift but with synthetic oil I don't burn any. ( eye wise ) no smog testing

deondre
02-04-2011, 10:15 PM
If your still burning a crap loud of oil with synthetic, you got a problem.
I burn a very little amount of oil in vtec at shift but with synthetic oil I don't burn any. ( eye wise ) no smog testing

well its not really 1qt every 1k but its a noticeable amount,and i shouldnt have said "burning" because it might be a slight leak, the weathers been too nasty to go leak hunting.... but the car isnt smoking, and the compression is good, so i dont think there's any too seriously wrong (that i know of)... but does synthetic suppose to slow down oil consumption too?

nobody has tried lucas?

Bacon
02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I have heard good things about Lucas treatments but I always stick with straight oil.

4g638u
02-05-2011, 10:12 AM
i know some people swear by rotella-t in hondas, keeps it from burning it up and its good for a 10 psi boost in oil pressure. DO NOT use the no-smoke sludge that they sell at the parts store. i would def check and see if you have an oil leak, from your dyno vid i didnt see any noticeable smoke from burning oil, didnt see any smoke at all actually. check the common leak spots, ie: cam seat, vtec solenoid, oil pan gasket and drain plug, oh and check and make sure you arent double sealed on your oil filter, i know this is all basic stuff but for that much oil to disappear you should be seeing some smoke, even with clean brand new oil. i also know that if you have run regular oil for the lifetime of the car and change to synthetic, the synthetic oil will find any leak and burn more, just because of its thinner properties...dont know how true that is.

I know on my old dsm which was slap worn out, if i put synthetic in it would disappear quickly, but when running a thicker oil, ie: rotella-t, i wouldnt lose any at all.

03RCode
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Lucas is good stuff, never personally used it in a Honda but have had good results with it in other applications. They also make a synthetic version to mix with synthetic oil, but also says on the original Lucas bottle that it can be used with synthetic oil as well.