PDA

View Full Version : 87 integra overheating.. HELP PLEASE!!

RianTheBear
01-30-2011, 02:12 PM
let me start by telling you that i am a classic Nissan guy and dont know a whole lot about the honda B series motors.

my Girl has a 87 acura integra, auto with the stock b16 motor. she comes home from work today and the car is overheating, the car will cool down while driving but overheats when sitting (e.g. at a red light or stop sign) the fan kick on for about 2-3 mins then turn off, they only do this once . so i did the usual routine of checking coolant, thermostat and hoses for anything unusual. but i found nothing wrong with these parts. I also checked the fans to make sure that they run normal when voltage is applied. [ posssible bad coolant temp sensor?]

also when the car is cold or the first start of the day, the car idles up real high. about 2k rpm then bounces between 2-2500 for a couple minuets. once the thermostat opens the car idles down to a normal rev and runs fine untill it overheats.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rian :(

idriveasloweclipse
01-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Not sure about the overheating but the idle problem could be a couple things.. Check for vacuum leaks, also check if it has a idle control valve . I am not sure about B series but it probably has one, and they can be cleaned or replaced depending on the condition of yours. A bad voltage reg. in your alternator can also cause idle issues as well. Don't know if I am much help, but good luck

Bacon
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Start by changing the thermostat.

Clean out your IACV and your FIT valve if those older Integras have them.

SoLJames95
01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
My bro has an 89... They have the d16a1 or a6 Dohc can't remember but anyways. My bros did the exact same thing. I kept putting coolant in it and checked everything. Finally found out the water pump was leaking but you couldnt tell. And yours might be going bad. Cuz my bros did for like a month, until we changed the water pump. Driven like a champ since. And let's just say they a pain in the ass to change too. But good luck. And if you do change the pump, do the timing belt. Might as well. Hope that helps.

RianTheBear
01-31-2011, 01:01 PM
thanks these are all things im looking into today, im headed off to the parts store to pick up a new temp sensor and fan relay, if that dosnt help then im going to grab a waterpump and swap it out it out just to be sure. alternator is basically new. unless they sold me a bad one a couple months ago. either way

Thanks alot for the help guys.

Rian

IOnlyLookStock
02-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Ever fix it? Care to share what it was?