PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Hell hath officially frozen over...

Echonova
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
The Ferrari of station wagons

The theme of a Ferrari Shooting Brake has inspired coachbuilders for a long time. Here, finally, is the first official one.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/aut/ferrari-ff-exterior.jpg 2012 Ferrari FF

The four-seat Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (http://autos.yahoo.com/ferrari/) is a great car, but not our favorite Ferrari. Launched in 2004, it’s getting long in the tooth, and the curvaceous body, lacking in tension, never really grew on us.

At this year’s Geneva auto show, Maranello will debut a Scaglietti successor that is not only visually exciting in a way the 612 never managed, but departs from the Ferrari gospel in two tremendous ways: It’s the first all-wheel-drive prancing horse, and it’s a two-door station wagon, or shooting brake.

Say What?!

The Pininfarina-styled four-seater folds futuristic shapes and detailing into classic front-engine proportions. The front end is dominated by a hood and headlights that are inspired by the 458 Italia, while the greenhouse sits far aft and flows into to a rear end with recessed taillights and a low tailgate. It is long (193.2 inches), wide (76.9 inches), and relatively low (54.3 inches), and to our eyes, it is absolutely stunning. The FF, says Ferrari, seats four comfortably and offers ample space for luggage.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/aut/ferrari-ff-exterior-02.jpg 2012 Ferrari FF

The FF moniker stands for "Ferrari Four" in reference to the fact that all four of the wheels are driven. Ferrari claims that its all-wheel-drive system, called 4RM, is 50 percent lighter than comparable systems, but provides no details on how this was achieved. (RM stands for ruote motrici, so 4RM just means “four-wheel-drive” in Italian.) Regardless, the Italians have managed to keep total weight down to 3,946 pounds, no small feat given the size and power of the car. (The last 612 Scaglietti we tested was nearly 200 pounds heavier, at 4,123.)

Fifty-seven percent of that weight is perched over the rear axle. Curiously, British manufacturer Jensen built a four-seat, all-wheel-drive supercar by the name of FF in the late Sixties. The acronym then stood for Ferguson Formula, Harry Ferguson Research being the supplier of its all-wheel drive system.

Business as Usual

The shape and drivetrain layout may be unusual, but the engine is pure Ferrari: a 6.3-liter, naturally aspirated 65-degree V-12 that produces 651 hp at a screaming 8,000 rpm and 504 lb-ft of torque at 6,000. The power is channeled through a dual-clutch transmission and performance, as you would expect, should be extraordinary. Ferrari claims that zero to 60 mph will take just 3.7 seconds—we suspect that is a highly conservative guess—and top speed will be a lofty 208 mph. Magnetorheological shocks will help the FF handle, and Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes will halt it. Fuel efficiency is rated at 15.3 mpg in the European combined cycle, which is invariably more optimistic than the EPA cycles in the U.S. So don’t expect the FF to be the green Ferrari we’ve been expecting.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/aut/ferrari-ff-3.jpg 2012 Ferrari FF

Ferrari history is peppered with Shooting Brake conversions. At the Turin auto show in 1968, coachbuilder Vignale unveiled the 330 Special. A few years later, Panther created a shooting brake based on the 365 GTB/4 Daytona. Swiss coachbuilder Felber got in on the fun with its 365 GTC/4 “Break,” introduced at in Geneva in 1977, and followed that a few years later with a conversion of the Ferrari 400 called Croisette. And, in the mid-’90s, Pininfarina built a few four-door station wagons based on the Ferrari 456 for the Sultan of Brunei. From the looks of it, though, the FF is getting the history of the official Ferrari shooting brake off to a spectacular start.

Scotsman
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
i was just reading about that on sat nite

Ghostface
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Nice Ferrari, love four seaters especially ones that have 650hp! I still stay loyal to jdm but hell that Ferrari looks like sex! Ferrari is stepping it up! Good thread! Real informative.

firby911
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
looks like shit

Scotsman
01-24-2011, 03:56 PM
looks like shitthose were my thoughts , and the same goes to the porsche 4dr

4g638u
01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
i think they are just trying to appeal to more crowds, some 40 something rich guy can now buy a Ferrari because he can put his kids in the back lol. i think they are probably doing what they have to to stay afloat just like every car manufacturer right now.

nreggie454
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
i think they are just trying to appeal to more crowds, some 40 something rich guy can now buy a Ferrari because he can put his kids in the back lol. i think they are probably doing what they have to to stay afloat just like every car manufacturer right now.
Yup. Sadly, the Cayenne is one of Porsche's top selling models. I wonder how long it will take Ferrari to bite the SUV bullet. They never said they would do something like the FF, so I wouldn't count it out anymore.

nickskater09
01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
New: for the man wants to also have 2 four year olds and a wife doing 200 mph with him!

-EnVus-
01-24-2011, 06:08 PM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::sicks::sicks:: sicks::sicks::upchuck::upchuck::upchuck:

Bacon
01-24-2011, 06:35 PM
The Porsche Panamera ( sp? ) has always been ugly as hell to me since its debut. I don't know what to think about this though. Kinda like it but kinda don't.

nreggie454
01-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Honestly the Panamera has grown on me slowly. I have seen a few rolling around Memphis and they look a little better each time. I hear they are an absolute blast to drive. I think if they revamped the rear a little bit more it would be a good lookin' car.

msanch24
01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
well i will say this. the Ferrari doesnt look good, but it sure makes the panamera look a lot worse.

nreggie454
01-24-2011, 09:08 PM
well i will say this. the Ferrari doesnt look good, but it sure makes the panamera look a lot worse.
If the Panamera was a two door hatch it would look a lot better, too. The Ferrari FF looks like a Z3 M Coupe with Italian lines (which isn't a bad thing at all).

I just don't really consider the comparison as apples to apples.

msanch24
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
If the Panamera was a two door hatch it would look a lot better, too. The Ferrari FF looks like a Z3 M Coupe with Italian lines (which isn't a bad thing at all).

i see your point, man

5speed
01-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Ehh, Id rather have a Panamera S

nreggie454
01-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Ehh, Id rather have a Panamera S
I'd rather have a Panamera Turbo.

alpine_aw11
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't see the problem with it, bench racers are going to bitch and moan like Ferrari is raping their history because they built a car with a back seat, but it's just good business. And it actually looks pretty damn good.

5speed
01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
I'd rather have a Panamera Turbo.

That too. I have driven the S model. It was really nice. Handled well and great throttle response. I didnt have a single thing to complain about.

I don't see the problem with it, bench racers are going to bitch and moan like Ferrari is raping their history because they built a car with a back seat, but it's just good business. And it actually looks pretty damn good.

Looks like another Clown shoe to me. I think they should do something different but that just doesnt look right to me.

koukis14
01-25-2011, 04:14 PM
clown scarpa

Bacon
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Wouldn't be the first Ferrari to hold more than two people. I do see the M Coupe resemblance.

NoRotor
01-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Judging by the "OMG Sacrilege!" comments, I'm guessing many of you haven't heard of the 250 GT Breadvan?

Bacon
01-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Judging by the "OMG Sacrilege!" comments, I'm guessing many of you haven't heard of the 250 GT Breadvan?

Judging by the pictures Google posted up, I'd assume that car was almost meant for racing. This, however, doesn't seem to point in that direction.

NoRotor
01-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Judging by the pictures Google posted up, I'd assume that car was almost meant for racing. This, however, doesn't seem to point in that direction.

You're right. Historically, Ferrari road cars have no connection to Ferrari race cars.

Starrfire
01-26-2011, 10:22 PM

In the initial article I read of the panamera it said that so much research and development had been done that they wished to capitalize on the venture more and actually had a 2 door sketch drawn up which they called the new porsche 928(that is if they decide to make it). But in today's market who knows. It would be a lot cooler than the Panamera since even in person they are hella ugly. Very nice but UGLY.

I love the wagon Ferrari though. I'd rock the shit out of it.

Genji-Sama
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Lol, my friend was just tellin me about these, he was kinda pissed almost as if ferrari had personally insulted him by making these. my 2cents, ugly as fawk, but I can't afford one so watev