PDA

View Full Version : Best way to touch up paint chips?

FostyTG28
01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Alright so before I bought my Maxima, the guy must have been driving behind a truck/car that sent some rocks at my Max. Now theres a bunch of spots on the hood where the rocks chipped the paint. I already have the small bottle of touch up paint that I ordered from Nissan, but now that it is here, I'm afraid I'm gonna fuck it up and make it look worse. Anyone have any tips on how to do it right? If a picture is needed, I can have one up tomorrow afternoon since its too dark out now to get a clear pic.

Thanks

Bacon
01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Go to Autozone or something. They should have bottles of touch up paint specifically for your paint code.

FostyTG28
01-24-2011, 05:05 PM
I've already got the paint, I'm just afraid that my DIY will make it look worse haha

300zNA
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Autozone touch-up is your best bet, just make sure you find matching color and dont over use it, try using minimal amount depending on the size of damage/chip and then add more paint if needed.

SLOWR/T
01-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Depending on the size area you are working with it might be better to just spray it. If thats not a option though the best way that I have touched up a car is just to touch up the area that you are wanting to. Be sure that you put enough over it to cover the full chip. Go back after a couple days (once it has dried good) and take 2000 grit sand paper, water sand the area around the chip to get any excess paint off you left behind. It would be best to you a block to do this because your fingers will go into the chip and sand out the paint you have in there. If you are careful and don't go over the chip are to much you will leave the paint you touched up in the chip, then you can just buff it out. You can PM me if you have any questions.

NJSC
01-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I haven't had any experience with paint but I can remember working with a guy and he said using the right brush also has a lot to do with it. He would also just use clear in chips if the car had any sort of flake in it. Any thoughts on that?

jimjam187
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
low grit sandpaper 2000, use the touch up paint then buff and wax, works great.

jimjam187
01-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Depending on the size area you are working with it might be better to just spray it. If thats not a option though the best way that I have touched up a car is just to touch up the area that you are wanting to. Be sure that you put enough over it to cover the full chip. Go back after a couple days (once it has dried good) and take 2000 grit sand paper, water sand the area around the chip to get any excess paint off you left behind. It would be best to you a block to do this because your fingers will go into the chip and sand out the paint you have in there. If you are careful and don't go over the chip are to much you will leave the paint you touched up in the chip, then you can just buff it out. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Sorry didnt read his, but waht he said!

FostyTG28
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll probably do this over the weekend so the paint has maximum amount of time to dry and whatnot before I drive my Max again :goodjob:

FasTech
01-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm going to make this as simple as I can possibly put it. DO NOT attempt to apply any body work, paint, etc to ANY car if you have no experience at all, right now. 99% of the time, people screw simple fix problems like this most of the time. Not trying to knock you or anything by no means... but stuff like this takes practice and time on shit of no value. lol. That cheap crayon shit you buy fron Advance and Auto-zone do NOT work as promised. You may or may not like the finial apperance of the finished product after you're done. And, from past reviews, you won't.

I use to do small body work and its really not hard, just takes time to get better. Practice, practice, practice... Find an old hood or etc, read up some tech articles and practice doing it the right way. Then fix your problem the right way so you won't worry about it looking worse. Plus, alittle knowledge in body work doesn't hurt anyone.

RBS
01-25-2011, 11:59 AM
if its chips throught the clear and into the color coat, it will be hard to fix. generally you just get the part repainted if its bad, but if its in the clear you can do VERY minor wetsanding and buff it out.

FostyTG28
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
A lot of it is chipped all the way throug the color layer, and don't worry, I don't have the cheap AutoZone paint. I ordered it directly FROM Nissan :D

egibbs123
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I do touch up painting for a living if your wanting to get it done professionally...

HateCity24
01-26-2011, 08:13 PM
find a paint PEN matching your color code. Got one offline for my epb civic. Has a real fine felt tip with paint on one side then you flip it over and it has a real fine tip clearcoat on the other. Not gonna look like a professional job but will look much better than blobbing it on with a brush. worked great for my little chips.

Humphrizzle
01-26-2011, 08:21 PM
thoroughly clean the work area
apply touch up paint to the damaged area.
wait until dry
wetsand with 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper
buff until clear.

good luck.