PDA

View Full Version : 90 INTREGRA:Starter Bump to Break Crank Pulley Bolt

redciv1
01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Quick question. Have to change the Head Gasket on a 90 Integra and wanted to know if anyone has used the Starter Bump method to break the Crank Pulley bolt? I do not have an air gun so curious about this method. I changed my timing belt and water pump on my 95 Legend and used this method to break the crank pulley bolt free. It was really simple and easy.

Cynical 1
01-12-2011, 03:29 PM
it's your engine...

if you feel confident, then do it.

98blackcivic
01-12-2011, 04:12 PM
omg...crank pulley bolt..
the ONLY bolt i have not been able to remove in my life...
:(
i lost to a crank pulley bolt
WAH WAH WAH!!!

redciv1
01-13-2011, 07:31 AM
omg...crank pulley bolt..
the ONLY bolt i have not been able to remove in my life...
:(
i lost to a crank pulley bolt
WAH WAH WAH!!!
LOL, don't feel bad. When I swapped a H22 in my 93 Accord, I had to get that one off also. Broke 1 or 2 ratchets before I got it off. When I did the Legend last year, I did not want to go thru the same scenario, so I read up about the starter bump method and it worked so easily. Just looking to make sure there was something I should look out for when trying on an Integra since the engine placement is different on the two vehicles.

Starrfire
01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Gonna need the factory crankshaft holder tool or a good impact wrench and big air compressor with impact sockets. Shouldn't be too hard.

98blackcivic
01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Gonna need the factory crankshaft holder tool or a good impact wrench and big air compressor with impact sockets. Shouldn't be too hard.

neither of those worked for us when we were working on my old y8
we used like 220 psi with the impact and a MASSIVE compressor..MAX psi
we went across town to get the crankshaft holder tool and THAT didnt even work
we had to give up on it and work our way around it..
i think we were trying to get the timing belt off...we had to slide that bitch off with a flat head

peg leg
01-22-2011, 07:21 PM
u cant use the starter trick on a honda. it rotates backwards compared to other motors, so if u use the stater bump method u will jus tighten it that much more!

RBS
01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
to be honest, i was working on a POS civic not too long ago.. tired and late i accidentally left a 17mm wrench on the crank bolt. When i tried to start it i heard a loud "thump" and a wrench fell. When i checked it out the crank bolt was loose by accident lol.

Starrfire
01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
How any of you have trouble with a d series crank pulley bolt I will never know. You've never taken off an h22 on before. Maybe you guys are just soft lol.