PDA

View Full Version : Gwinnett county PD can no longer use radar and laser..LOL

RL...
01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Basically they didn't renew their license which expired Dec. 31st so they can't use radar and laser. lol Now they can only pace you and use helicopters to judge your speed/distance, and one officer said they might use unmarked cars to pace you LOL.

*EFilliated*
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Hmm, I wonder if that had anything do with these to guys that got arrested Thursday for supposedly street racing, there was an unmarked infinity g35 4dr who was supposedly a cop

silversol
01-03-2011, 10:58 PM
They will get it renewed. I would not think this will last long

G.C
01-03-2011, 11:21 PM
they have to pace you for 1/2 mile or a mile right? bout to go pull.

ChnkyLao
01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
nah theyll still get u some way unless ur doing 100+

JessAlba452
01-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Nuh uh! Are you serious? I want proof Rick (RL) like a link or news article or something! I can just imagine if this is fake someone just tearing it up down I85 thinking it's true and telling the cop I saw it on IA! :D

David88vert
01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
This good enough for you? (no sarcasm - just asking if you need more than this)
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/lasers-radars-off-limits-for-gwinnett-police-20110103-es

Radar and lasers are now no longer an option for police in Gwinnett County, Norcross, Lilburn, Lawrenceville and other cities within the county.
Certification for the devices was pulled by the state after county and city leaders failed to agree on a mandated, once-every-10-years agreement on service.

-----------------------------------------

GSP is NOT confined by these limitations, and can and will use radar and laser to ticket speeders in Gwinnett.

---------------------------------------------

Additionally, Gwinnett can use the radar and laser, just not use it to convict you. In other words, they could use it to see if you were speeding, then pull you over for some other reason that they make up. The officer could ask you how fast you were going, and if you said anything over the speed limit, he could write you a ticket for that speed, and it would hold up in court on your own admission of guilt. Never tell the officer that you were speeding or the speed that you were going. Never say that you did not know how fast you were going, as then his word will trump yours in court for certain. Always answer, " I know exactly how fast I was going." If he pressures for a number, answer, "I do not believe that I am required by law to answer that question. Am I free to go?"

-------------------------------------------
Now, on another note, how many of you realize that Gwinnett and other courts try to impose illegally high fines on speeding - and most people pay it.
Read § 40-6-1. Observance of chapter required; punishment for violations generally; maximum fines for certain offenses
(a) It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter with respect to particular offenses, it is a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter.
(b) Unless a different maximum fine or greater minimum fine is specifically provided in this chapter for a particular violation, the maximum fine which may be imposed as punishment for a first offense of violating any lawful speed limit established by or pursuant to the provisions of Article 9 of this chapter by exceeding a maximum lawful speed limit:

(1) By five miles per hour or less shall be no dollars;

(2) By more than five but not more than ten miles per hour shall not exceed $25.00;

(3) By more than ten but not more than 14 miles per hour shall not exceed $100.00;

(4) By more than 14 but less than 19 miles per hour shall not exceed $125.00;

(5) By 19 or more but less than 24 miles per hour shall not exceed $150.00; or

(6) By 24 or more but less than 34 miles per hour shall not exceed $500.00.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 23; Code 1933, § 68A-102, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5; Ga. L. 2001, p. 770, § 1.

Doppelgänger
01-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately the fuckers aren't prohibited from adding extremely high "court costs and processing fees" to low dollar tickets...aka supplimental income to make up for the limited fine amounts.

nreggie454
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Is there a set protocol that gives a recording of the speed for pacing, or is it just the officer's word vs. yours?

David88vert
01-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately the fuckers aren't prohibited from adding extremely high "court costs and processing fees" to low dollar tickets...aka supplimental income to make up for the limited fine amounts.

I actually helped 2 people last month stick the counties to the legislated rates - one in DeKalb, and one in Gwinnett. One was 5 over, so no fine at all, and ticket was dropped once they were informed of 40-6-1. Previously, they wanted to extort $200 from him. That was written by a GSP in Gwinnett.
The other was a county ordinance in DeKalb, where they wanted $450, and the posted total court costs could not exceed $150. Once they were informed, they reduced it to $150.
BTW - this works if you have no speeding record, otherwise, you can get hit with a higher fine, but they have to prove that you have a record with the DMV for speeding. If they do not have it in court, this is a good way to lower the ticket.

If you do not know the law, they will take advantage of you everytime.

5spdfrk
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
If you do not know the law, they will take advantage of you everytime.

This. +1

incawarrior
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
:2cents:

JessAlba452
01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Thank you for a great post! :) +Rep

This good enough for you? (no sarcasm - just asking if you need more than this)
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/local_news/lasers-radars-off-limits-for-gwinnett-police-20110103-es

Radar and lasers are now no longer an option for police in Gwinnett County, Norcross, Lilburn, Lawrenceville and other cities within the county.
Certification for the devices was pulled by the state after county and city leaders failed to agree on a mandated, once-every-10-years agreement on service.

-----------------------------------------

GSP is NOT confined by these limitations, and can and will use radar and laser to ticket speeders in Gwinnett.

---------------------------------------------

Additionally, Gwinnett can use the radar and laser, just not use it to convict you. In other words, they could use it to see if you were speeding, then pull you over for some other reason that they make up. The officer could ask you how fast you were going, and if you said anything over the speed limit, he could write you a ticket for that speed, and it would hold up in court on your own admission of guilt. Never tell the officer that you were speeding or the speed that you were going. Never say that you did not know how fast you were going, as then his word will trump yours in court for certain. Always answer, " I know exactly how fast I was going." If he pressures for a number, answer, "I do not believe that I am required by law to answer that question. Am I free to go?"

-------------------------------------------
Now, on another note, how many of you realize that Gwinnett and other courts try to impose illegally high fines on speeding - and most people pay it.
Read § 40-6-1. Observance of chapter required; punishment for violations generally; maximum fines for certain offenses
(a) It is unlawful and, unless otherwise declared in this chapter with respect to particular offenses, it is a misdemeanor for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required in this chapter.
(b) Unless a different maximum fine or greater minimum fine is specifically provided in this chapter for a particular violation, the maximum fine which may be imposed as punishment for a first offense of violating any lawful speed limit established by or pursuant to the provisions of Article 9 of this chapter by exceeding a maximum lawful speed limit:

(1) By five miles per hour or less shall be no dollars;

(2) By more than five but not more than ten miles per hour shall not exceed $25.00;

(3) By more than ten but not more than 14 miles per hour shall not exceed $100.00;

(4) By more than 14 but less than 19 miles per hour shall not exceed $125.00;

(5) By 19 or more but less than 24 miles per hour shall not exceed $150.00; or

(6) By 24 or more but less than 34 miles per hour shall not exceed $500.00.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 23; Code 1933, § 68A-102, enacted by Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Ga. L. 1990, p. 2048, § 5; Ga. L. 2001, p. 770, § 1.

efman
01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't think they really care about this too much, they spend a majority of the time answering calls for service anyway.

Arm&hammer
01-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Hmm, I wonder if that had anything do with these to guys that got arrested Thursday for supposedly street racing, there was an unmarked infinity g35 4dr who was supposedly a cop

they were not racing they just pulled in hard into the parking lot and got arrested for that

98blackcivic
01-10-2011, 09:09 AM
so we can fly down 316 and 85 doing 120+

David88vert
01-10-2011, 10:31 AM
That would be a reckless ticket, and you would go to jail.