PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advice. (scooter)

MaiNiKe
12-29-2010, 07:36 PM
This might be a long story, but please bear with me.

So, I bought my brand new Chinese twist-n-go scooter from Twisted motorsports two months ago. I've had nothing but trouble since then. From day one the speedometer has never showed the correct speed, and the gas gauge has been off and on. These are problems I can live with knowing it was an $800 Chinese scooter.

A few weeks ago I got into a minor accident while trying to drive in the rain. At first look it only had minor damage, scratches, etc... When I finally got it home I realized that the bracket that attaches the exhaust to the bike itself was broken, and the exhaust now had a hole on the bottom from where it was attached to the bracket. I called up TMS (twisted motorsports) and talked with the owner to order the parts necessary to fix the bike. $60 for the new exhaust, $10 for the new bolts, $10 for labor, so a total of $80. He said that it would take a day for him to get the parts in.

I dropped the bike off for repairs, and the next day when I come in to pick it up he explains that the only "new" exhaust he had already has a dent in it, so he'll take $5 off. Since this is my daily driver, I didn't have the time for him to get a new one in so I accepted. I leave his shop and go to my job which is about 2 miles down the road. That is when I realize that the muffler still feels unstable and I see that the new bolt that he put in had broken off and the exhaust was now loose. I call him up and explain what happened and he tells me to bring it in at 12pm the next day and he will have it fixed in 10 minutes. So the next day is Christmas eve, I show up at 12 and he is working on two other bikes at the moment so he can't promise that it would be done that day even though I needed it to get to work the next three days. So I rely on family to get me around and I wait until Tuesday after work to go pick it up.

When I get to his shop on Tuesday he tells me that he hasn't gotten around to replacing the bolt and to come back in an hour and he will have it ready. One hour and thirty minutes later I am at his shop ready to go. I realized that the bike hadn't moved an inch since I last saw it, so I was already a little weary since he always tells his customers that everything is tested before he lets the customer get on the bike. As I was walking over to my bike he tells me that everything is fixed perfectly and he just needs $10 dollars (that he never mentioned before) for the bolts he used to fix the exhaust the 2nd time. We get into a little argument over why I should pay the $10 dollars, and then I ask him "what if I pay the $10, leave the shop, and it breaks again before I make it 2 miles down the road". This is when he blows up on me throwing his cig. down screaming at me "I've had it, I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, just take your bike and GO." I had never imagined I would be treated like this, after never raising my voice at him, or insulting him. I walk over to his wife, pay the $10 dollars and leave.

So guess what happens when I drive 2 miles down the road. This time both of the bolts that were holding the exhaust on broke. I pulled over and gave him a call just 20 minutes after I had left his shop and he tells me that he isn't available at the moment because he is at the dentist and he can't help me out now. So I take the risk and ride the scooter back to my home. I tried calling him 2 more times that night, but no answer. So today I decide to call again, his wife answers and tells me to bring it by the shop and they will see what they can do, but she wont guarantee that they won't charge me again, and if the exhaust has anymore damage to it while trying to drive it back to the shop, they will charge me for a whole new exhaust. Also, this scooter does have a 6 month warranty, but she tells me that the new muffler is not covered on it. So this is where I'm at now.

Cliff Notes:
-brought damaged scooter in for repairs
-payed $75 for repairs
-Scooter was not properly repaired
-returned scooter to re-repair
-Owner throws bitch fit
-charged $10 for their mistake
-Scooter was not properly repaired for the second time
-Owner now avoiding me for third repair

*Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/260/71554165837838720614695.jpg

nreggie454
12-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Find somebody to weld it for you. Any exhaust shop should be able to do it pretty easily.

03RCode
01-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Sounds to me like you have something bent, whether it be the muffler or the mount. The natural vibrations from the scooter combined with the added stress from the bent mount is causing the bolts to break. If you want it fixed properly find out whats bent, replace it, and be done with it. That guy is trying to give you the run-around worse than he already has and there is no way in hell he would get another dime.

Hondatwin23
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
muffler shop!

1moreaccord
01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Alright let's be honest about this:

You bought a Chinese scooter brand new for $800 from "Twisted Motorsports".

And you are expecting the same level of quality and care as a reputable dealer/manufacturer. Well you get what you paid for - You are getting $800 worth of customer service. Twisted motorsports IS NOT going to fairly help you with all the problems this scooter WILL have.

Why does a Honda/Yamaha scooter cost you 5x what this did? Because they are built with quality. Chinese manufacturers have humongous tolerances on their parts and use the cheapest possible materials to bring you the cheapest possible scooter. :no:

Sadly, I promise more things WILL break the longer you own it. A brake lever here, a footrest there, rim will bend, headlight stops running, plastics crack. All symptoms of cheapo chinese bikes.

My advice is to sell it while you can still scrounge up a couple hundred and buy a used Main stream scooter. Have it serviced and it will last you as long as you want. :2cents:

03RCode
01-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Alright let's be honest about this:

You bought a Chinese scooter brand new for $800 from "Twisted Motorsports".

And you are expecting the same level of quality and care as a reputable dealer/manufacturer. Well you get what you paid for - You are getting $800 worth of customer service. Twisted motorsports IS NOT going to fairly help you with all the problems this scooter WILL have.

Why does a Honda/Yamaha scooter cost you 5x what this did? Because they are built with quality. Chinese manufacturers have humongous tolerances on their parts and use the cheapest possible materials to bring you the cheapest possible scooter. :no:

Sadly, I promise more things WILL break the longer you own it. A brake lever here, a footrest there, rim will bend, headlight stops running, plastics crack. All symptoms of cheapo chinese bikes.

My advice is to sell it while you can still scrounge up a couple hundred and buy a used Main stream scooter. Have it serviced and it will last you as long as you want. :2cents:

I'm around these almost everyday, we sell them through the shop I work at. YES they have problems, but what he is describing could have easily been fixed. Regardless, if your going to sell a product you need to STAND BEHIND THAT PRODUCT. Yes people need to know that they are buying disposable transportation, but that is no reason to treat your customers like crap, and not attempt to do a proper job fixing it,

Subleg4
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Ruckus FTW, I got some LED turn signals for my Ruckus and while hooking them up some wires touched and it ended up blowing my ECU believe it or not, I took it to Honda and they replaced it no questions asked, they said " don't do it again" haha

Like they said up above, you get what you pay for. I say sell it while it's still running and get a ruckus/zuma/whatever is not chinese