PDA

View Full Version : OSX on a PC

SPOOLIN
12-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I a mac guy, I want to build a nice PC and put OSX on it. Anyone here done this? I now its possible...I know most of the hacks have been done with ASUS motherboards.

KlassAct_EJ6
12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I am trying to build a "Hackintosh" myself. I'm not sure if you have checked out this website but OS86X Project (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)has all the information you need to do it. That's how I got a list of all the parts I need. I'm not done yet, but I know what parts to use because of this site. Also, They have a lot of different submissions of different kinds of motherboards that were used to do the hack.

SPOOLIN
12-27-2010, 12:42 PM
the farthest i have been is getting it fully installed and then reboot, but then it wont boot into the OS, it just goes right past Darwins prompt and then reboots spontaneously.

KlassAct_EJ6
12-27-2010, 09:53 PM
There is one more website I could suggest to you though. It's called InsanelyMac.com (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/). Whatever problems you're facing now, you can either find the answer there or ask someone and get some suggestions. When I get all the pieces I need to have a functioning computer I'm gonna be at that forum a lot.

Franco Tirador
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
seems to be alot easier to load xp into a macbook or macbook pro than to load osx on a pc, im saving up to build one myself, but i want to do it on a acrylic case, for some reason

SPOOLIN
01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
seems to be alot easier to load xp into a macbook or macbook pro than to load osx on a pc, im saving up to build one myself, but i want to do it on a acrylic case, for some reason

yeah PC motherboards have chips that block mac operating systems which is why all these hack versions are out and only because mac just happened to start using intel chips rather than motorola. im about to just buy a fucking mac mini and be done with it.

Franco Tirador
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
yeah PC motherboards have chips that block mac operating systems which is why all these hack versions are out and only because mac just happened to start using intel chips rather than motorola. im about to just buy a fucking mac mini and be done with it.

yeah thats my nuclear option, u can get a pretty nice one for o decent price, about the best bang for the buck

SPOOLIN
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
that or a 5 year old dual xeon mac pro!

cpearson
01-11-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm triple booting my OS X hackintosh with XP and Ubuntu; it's running on a totally stock el-cheapo HP Intel Core 2 Duo setup (not even sure of the exact mobo ATM, as it's been about two years since I've done the install, but it is an ASUS.) Everything still works good on it... I grabbed the .ISO from MiniNova at the time, although I know there is a couple on Demonoid...

What are the specs on this PC you've got that you've installed OS X on? Is OS X the only OS on it right now (i.e., no other boot loaders)?

SPOOLIN
01-11-2011, 01:36 PM
our Hard drive was blank.

iamdallas
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I got OSX Snow Leopard running on my studio 1555 (also tri-boot with win 7 and Unbuntu) but I couldn't get full resolution on my display. It's not really doable on most laptops because integrated graphics etc...

The way to go is to build a desktop and you can find tons of hardware lists online. So you won't have to deal with drivers and stuff. They're a pain. You can just get an install disc and install and be done with it.

If you're not building a PC there is still tons of info about which ISO's will work well with which computers. But if you don't have the right computer, it will be a pain. Drivers are hard to find because Mac only works with certain hardware but Windows doesn't make their own computers. They have to supply support for nearly EVERYTHING...

Good luck

cpearson
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
But if you don't have the right computer, it will be a pain.

x2 The drivers were a beast to find for mine, as it wasn't one I built FOR a hackintosh, yet one I made work... Only one I remember giving me the most fits was the audio driver for my sound card. I've got an old 8800GT on that machine; graphics drivers worked fine off the bat... Networking was perfect.

Have you tried going with a different Kernel? Or booting into safe mode ( -x)?

ensonfilmm
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Hello. And Bye.

SPOOLIN
01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
man ive tried all the modes. I got it to install on a system, but it wouldn't boot into it after it installed! We tried 2 computers, one had a known working motherboard model...still nothing. Im not gonna spend 800$ on a gangsta tower to try and run it and it be an expensive fail.

cpearson
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Damn dude, that's crazy that it's not working out for you. If you'll hit me up with the list of specifications on the system, maybe I can help out. Or shoot a txt to ZWK and he'll get it to me... I've installed OS X.5 on mine and OSX.6 on a Dell Mini 10v before... plus NUMEROUS times as a virtual machine on Intel Core 2 Duo machines, most of which just needed a bit of tweaking with the chipset drivers | kernels...

iamdallas
01-11-2011, 11:15 PM
man ive tried all the modes. I got it to install on a system, but it wouldn't boot into it after it installed! We tried 2 computers, one had a known working motherboard model...still nothing. Im not gonna spend 800$ on a gangsta tower to try and run it and it be an expensive fail.

Try lots of different builds. There are tons of iso's.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SPOOLIN
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
haha i have a stack of hacked osx ISO's burned to discs from kalyway to ideneb to you name it.