PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods spoon header any good for the b16?

-S Double C-
11-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I was wondering the spoon header is pretty good for a b16? b/c im getting ready to sink some money into it along with the gsr block im about to mate my head on.. about how much of a wheel horsepower would i get with the spoon?..also how much from a hytech header and a rmf? (vteckidd) share your knowledge with me :bigok:

IntegraXTR
11-16-2005, 11:29 PM
not sure how good they are but spoon parts are designed to have good mid range power constantly like the cams.

Negrodamus
11-17-2005, 12:34 AM
m@D jDm tYt3 y0. thats about all.

EJ25RUN
11-17-2005, 08:55 AM
d-sport magazine had an article compaing bunch of headers and the gains

on a b16

one was the spoon

mags not with me right now but ill look later.

speedminded
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
I was wondering the spoon header is pretty good for a b16? b/c im getting ready to sink some money into it along with the gsr block im about to mate my head on.. about how much of a wheel horsepower would i get with the spoon?..also how much from a hytech header and a rmf? (vteckidd) share your knowledge with me :bigok:Gonna upgrade anything in the block before you put it together?

An SMSP header is an instant 15whp on a mildly built b16 head on an ITR block.

mocha latte cupcake
11-17-2005, 09:07 AM
how much is the SMSP?

99SI
11-17-2005, 09:10 AM
If you are going to drop that much dough, then I would absolutely go with the RMF b16 header. We put a regular RMF header for the B18 on my car and it actually lost power, the primaries were just too big. But he also will make a B16 specific header w/ a little smaller primaries that is the shit. Vteckidd can get it for you coated for right at $500. With the difference in the price spend it on something else. I don't know what all else you have done but I would absolutely reccomend the omnipower flat face race valves as a nice addition to the head. The Stem is the same size as the stock valve so you don't have to change valve guides which is very nice. Plus they give a .3 bump in compression and flow extremely well. Right now I have the DC JDM header w/ 2.5 inch collector on my car, I just bought a set of omnipower coilovers and as soon as I can get a few bucks together I'm getting the RMF B16 header myself. The hytech "budget header" (around 700) made less HP than the RMF on the ITR header comparo that vteckidd did. The hytech header w/ the anti reversion chambers will run you over $1,000. For that amount of difference it is not worth 1-3WHP at best.

99SI
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Gonna upgrade anything in the block before you put it together?

With the SMSP you lose the A/C correct? I may be mistaken but I thought the design of the primaries required you to delete the A/C.

mocha latte cupcake
11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
that seems like an awful lot of work for some power. I have been out of the honda know how for a bit but the B16 RMF header will produce near same results for a fraction of the price. is that with header alone or does there have to be internal work or can you work with like a I/H/E

speedminded
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
how much is the SMSP?He quit producing the steel version which ran about $1k and only makes it from stainless now... $1,300-1,500 the last time i checked. You can keep your A/C and power steering unlike some of the other ones though :tongue:

We have a steel one at home and playing around one night last week cranked the LS Hatch up in the house garage straight out the header....it rattled the dishes in the dishwasher. After i dyno my car with the DC 4 to 1 and get the fuel worked out i'm going to make another run with it to see what it produces with my setup.

99SI
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
I missed the GSR block part, or ignored it. lol. The RMF is the way that I would go, no doubt. Then with the money that you save, get some cams,valvetrain,cam gears, and tuning. The B18 RMF header is a little more money but Vteckidd has a price list up in a thread in the sponsors corner.

99SI
11-17-2005, 09:24 AM
RMF Narrow 4-1 Sytle Header for B series 2.5in collector
$710 SHIPPED, comes jet coated and with a flange.
the header that made 10whp just by being bolt on, it won my dyno contest against every other header on the market.

mocha latte cupcake
11-17-2005, 09:30 AM
seems like a good mod for sure, just out of curiousity being a nissan guy and having a thing for tq...does the header affect mainly hp or a good tq curve too?

Vteckidd
11-17-2005, 10:02 AM
I would absolutely reccomend the RMF header. ESPECIALLY for a GSR or 1.8l motor. Remember i dynoed EVERY big baller header out there, 2 from SMSP, ANR, Hytech, DTR, SParks, RMF, and DC. The RMF won. The SMSP was VERY CLOSE, and i know dave and talk to him from time to time, he makes a great product. I really like his Prototype 4-1 Header.

If you are staying all motor, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for a good header. On a stock ITR motor the DC jdm 4-1 made 1whp over stock. the RMF made 10whp. so with JUST A HEADER we got 185whp out of a stock iTR motor. thats impressive IMO. and well worth the money.

The headers affect TQ and HP, the RMF actaully had great TQ

IntegraXTR
11-17-2005, 11:10 AM
man that sounds great for some headers, how much would they run for a GSR?

99SI
11-17-2005, 01:42 PM
man that sounds great for some headers, how much would they run for a GSR?

RMF Narrow 4-1 Sytle Header for B series 2.5in collector
$710 SHIPPED, comes jet coated and with a flange.
the header that made 10whp just by being bolt on, it won my dyno contest against every other header on the market.

lol, you been hanging out in your garden too much huh?

IntegraXTR
11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
lol, you been hanging out in your garden too much huh?

lol, yeh I need to slow down with my daily herbs.... :D

-S Double C-
11-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Gonna upgrade anything in the block before you put it together?

nah just frwshen the bottom end up with new bearings and possibly pistons

Vteckidd
11-18-2005, 03:27 PM
do PR3 pistons, bump that compression to 11.5:1. cheap mod, PR3 pistons are like $180 with rings

-S Double C-
11-18-2005, 03:30 PM
do PR3 pistons, bump that compression to 11.5:1. cheap mod, PR3 pistons are like $180 with rings

:D :D :D ...thats what i had in mind.