View Full Version : I need some help with a Miata

iam99x
12-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Car:
1991 Mazda Miata
Engine:
Bone stock, low mileage, unmolested 1.6L

Symptoms:
Car is very hesitant to start, and will only crank when CAS is turned all the way to the right (clockwise if looking at it from the rear of the engine), and if throttle is held down about to 50%. When car does finally crank, there is a chatter sound. It seems to be coming from the head (not at all positive on that). I know for a fact that it isn't a rod knock, because that is a very distinctive sound that isn't close to sounding like this. Basically, the car sounds like a diesel. It's very loud.

History:
Car overheated about a year and a half ago. Blew head gasket. I did not check the head for any warping, but it was a very tiny spot that blew out on the head gasket. Car was shut off as soon as the driver saw steam, and towed home. The car sat until about a month ago.

Recent history:
I replaced the head gasket. Engine was very clean on the inside. (No scuffing or ridge on the cylinder walls at all. It really looks like a brand new engine on the inside. Old oil was milky, with no sign of any metal flakes at all.) Went to start the car, and said symptoms came about. I figured the engine timing was out somehow, so I changed the timing belt properly, and the symptoms are still active. The car has new spark plugs, plug wires, all belts and new fluids.

I will gladly get a video of this if I have to.

Thanks,
Allen

badassf4i
12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
The chatter is from the lifters/pickups from what I've hear its no big deal,sea foam,or an oil change so take care of it.mine does it everyday when I start it then goes away after a second or two,it no longer bothers me

EmminoDaGreat
12-12-2010, 02:26 PM
sounds like the timing may be off a tooth if you have to rock the cas. I know you say its perfect but triple check.

iam99x
12-12-2010, 07:09 PM
The chatter is from the lifters/pickups from what I've hear its no big deal,sea foam,or an oil change so take care of it.mine does it everyday when I start it then goes away after a second or two,it no longer bothers me

It's not your average chatter. You know how a Dodge Cummins sounds when you turn it off? Hard vibration and a lound ch-ch-ch-ch... it's like that, but the entire time the engine is running. The oil is brand new. Literally 0 miles on it. The engine ran for over 30 minutes this way.

sounds like the timing may be off a tooth if you have to rock the cas. I know you say its perfect but triple check.

If I have to turn the CAS towards the passenger side of the car, which gear should I move in which direction? I've triple checked it twice now lol

Thanks for the help, guys. I really hope to get this thing running soon.