PDA

View Full Version : Help with suspension setup

DC2NR
11-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I was looking into getting some coilovers yet I'd like to keep the ride close to stock comfort. Only planning on lowering it 2" or so for the time being. My question is what coilovers would be a good choice, preferrably people with experience, and why you like them.

Other than Ground Controls, Skunk2, and Teins. What other options do I have out there that is a good product for a resonable price. I've been looking into Megan Racing coilovers, but have found no info on them around. And since they are only about $100, they don't seem like they would give me the ride i want.

Keep in mind this is for temporrary use until I can get the funds to get a set of shocks and coilovers.

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is going on a 94 Integra sedan.

NOCLUE
11-30-2010, 02:08 AM
you really feel what you pay for in the suspension game literally, i personally love and own the skunk 2 shocks and springs their the shyt smooth yet still and aggressive handle, response

gsrgoon
11-30-2010, 07:17 AM
i have the megan lowering springs on my tokio blue struts great ride.. megan is a pretty good company i have megan headers megan lower control arms megan camber kit. the ride is pretty good to me pretty smooth not bumpy at all pretty close to stock and no noise at all

RBS
11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
speaking from experience, i say Koni & GC combo. next in line i would say Function Form type 2, then OMNI power, then D2. this is all from experience, Koni/GC gave me the best flexibility

jdmshytyo87
11-30-2010, 12:09 PM
look just throw some tokico blues and cut stock springs a camber kit and call it a day....

RBS
11-30-2010, 12:15 PM
if you dont have the funds to buy a well engineering setup then keep it stock until you do, its not worth it to cheap out on what the car rides on.

jdmshytyo87
11-30-2010, 05:43 PM
hey it works though mines been that way for 3 years now lol no probs what so ever handles great, but i would not do it unless i had a camber kit though lol.

DC2NR
11-30-2010, 10:54 PM
speaking from experience, i say Koni & GC combo. next in line i would say Function Form type 2, then OMNI power, then D2. this is all from experience, Koni/GC gave me the best flexibility

I would love the Koni and GC combo, but my budget is a bit tight right now. Maybe in the future.

look just throw some tokico blues and cut stock springs a camber kit and call it a day....

I've had bad experiences with cut springs. Don't think I would ever want to go that route. And plus it just seems too cheap/ghetto rigged for me.

i have the megan lowering springs on my tokio blue struts great ride.. megan is a pretty good company i have megan headers megan lower control arms megan camber kit. the ride is pretty good to me pretty smooth not bumpy at all pretty close to stock and no noise at all

How much of a drop are you riding on?

if you dont have the funds to buy a well engineering setup then keep it stock until you do, its not worth it to cheap out on what the car rides on.

That's true, but I have seen some people get away with a full setup and had a nice smooth ride. Just thought I might be able to get tips from those of you who have.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

B20B!Ithink?
12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I personally have ksports on my 95 Gsr and they are awesome. They don't bounce there around 744.99 on ebay. I ended up buying ksport lca's ksport rear camber kit as well. I think omni powers better personally. But ksports make me happy and I was going for way more then you are.

gsrgoon
12-01-2010, 07:49 AM
2in drop from lowering springs nice clean look its not tucking like when i had coilovers but its nice. jdmshytyo87 a when u did your camber kit did u get a alignment ?

Theycall_Metue
12-01-2010, 07:49 AM
i been riding on ebays for years. bouncy comes from your shocks.
the lower your car, the faster your shocks will blow. aftermarket shocks are made for lowering.

RBS
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
what you could do is make some DIY extended tophats and run your stock shocks, it just may make your shocks last

DC2NR
12-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I personally have ksports on my 95 Gsr and they are awesome. They don't bounce there around 744.99 on ebay. I ended up buying ksport lca's ksport rear camber kit as well. I think omni powers better personally. But ksports make me happy and I was going for way more then you are.

Maybe in the next year or so I'll be getting a full GC/Koni setup. But for now it'll just be temporary.

2in drop from lowering springs nice clean look its not tucking like when i had coilovers but its nice. jdmshytyo87 a when u did your camber kit did u get a alignment ?

Yeah, I'm not planning on going more than 2" for my DD.

i been riding on ebays for years. bouncy comes from your shocks.
the lower your car, the faster your shocks will blow. aftermarket shocks are made for lowering.

I understand the bouncy part, only thing is that I don't want to feel every little bump/hole.

what you could do is make some DIY extended tophats and run your stock shocks, it just may make your shocks last

What do top hats do? Sorry, never knew what they did, but did think they were cool .. lol

Thanks

Theycall_Metue
12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I understand the bouncy part, only thing is that I don't want to feel every little bump/hole.
than dont drop your car.
dont matter what brand, riding low isnt the same as stock height

Cynical 1
12-01-2010, 06:23 PM
bouncy ride is from springs and shocks that are not matched. if you have a very stiff spring, and a wimpy shock, ride is bouncy.

i would honestly keep checking ebay for a used name brand kit like the GC/Koni or GC/Tokico Illumina (what i run on my vw racer). they can be had for under $400 used...

same goes for other kits and brands. i have the Tokico Illumina R full coilover/shock set on my hatch, and love it. it rides better than stock due to the matches springs/shocks, and the sdjustability... however, retail is $1k+ - BUT they go on ebay for under $500 sometimes...

you really don't want to spend money twice, right? so save a little more, wait a little longer, and do it only ONCE and RIGHT.

DC2NR
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
than dont drop your car.
dont matter what brand, riding low isnt the same as stock height

Not always true. I have driven many cars that have been lowered and didn't ride like crap. Only thing is, they were $1000+ suspension. I'm merely looking for something with a reasonable price range (from 1/2 to 3/4 of the price), and is close to comfort.

bouncy ride is from springs and shocks that are not matched. if you have a very stiff spring, and a wimpy shock, ride is bouncy.

i would honestly keep checking ebay for a used name brand kit like the GC/Koni or GC/Tokico Illumina (what i run on my vw racer). they can be had for under $400 used...

same goes for other kits and brands. i have the Tokico Illumina R full coilover/shock set on my hatch, and love it. it rides better than stock due to the matches springs/shocks, and the sdjustability... however, retail is $1k+ - BUT they go on ebay for under $500 sometimes...

you really don't want to spend money twice, right? so save a little more, wait a little longer, and do it only ONCE and RIGHT.

Thanks!

RBS
12-02-2010, 07:43 AM
extented top hats place the shock shaft further up so that at lowered ride heights the shocks have more travel and in their "working" area

ek forever
12-06-2010, 09:21 AM
If you're anxious to get something cheaper than $600 get the Progress CS-II if you plan on tracking, if you just like to hard park get the Function Form Type 1's.

Progress is purpose built, and has phenomenal customer service

Function you can probably go a bit lower.

wanggsticky
12-06-2010, 09:30 AM
ebay's coilovers suck.
their springs even suck, its a little drop.
Omni Full Street ftw