PDA

View Full Version : 97 civic h22 swap

EJ6
11-26-2010, 10:44 PM
alternator not charging....brand new battery, brand new alternator, changed the harness, checked the fuses..all wires are correct..what else could it be?..

Apex1972
11-27-2010, 09:20 AM
check all your grounds. I know you said you checked all the wires.but shit,what else could it be?

EJ6
11-27-2010, 10:35 AM
^^^D'OH thats what im tryin find out....i checked my ground i checked my alternator..got it tested an put 3 other alternator that i know is good...still dont work...i put a cable straight to the battery it works but it keeps running off the battery..wont stay charge on its own

silversol
11-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Check the fuses under the dash again!

CaTcH22
11-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Make sure the ELD (Electronic Load Detector) is working. Most of the Honda ecu's can turn the alternator off if it "thinks" it doesnt need to charge, or WOT. They say it helps get about 2 hp or something. I think you can jump it to signal a 14v output.

NOCLUE
11-27-2010, 01:57 PM
If you have a multimeter place the positive lead on the positive battery terminal and the negative lead on output of the alternator you should have a high reading 13 14s

EJ6
11-27-2010, 06:50 PM
i just changed my ecu same problem...checked the dash fuse again also..same problem...can it be one of the big black boxxy fuses? idk:thinking: im aggravated with this vehicle...

h22 jones
11-28-2010, 01:02 AM
I have never traced the charging system on a honda but ill look tomorrow its a realy simple system .If i had to wire it from scratch still realy simple dont get aggravated just have to do some simple process of eliminations . To start off unless you just want to be a parts changer and start threwing a bunch of parts at it untill it works (which is normaly exspensive maybe not in this case because your replacing fuses but normaly) you need to sit donw get on the internet or get a book and see how it works . Seriously man im good at this im the guy everybody in middle ga calls when they have a problem they cant fix (which is annoying sometimes because you never actualy make money on shit like this ) . The first thing i do to fix something is figure out how it works and what makes it work . I then test every thing that has to do with it to see what has the proper volts and what is working like it is suppose to .Ill do a little research and see if i cant shed some light on your problem you got my number just text me. Did you just do the swap and it just start doing this give me as much information as you have it will make this alot easier.

NOCLUE
11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
big black boxxy fuses? Relay aka switchs, if u got one that is not in use or can be taken from somewere else or a lucky buddy that will let you borrow one real quick try it!!!

EJ6
11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
the car been running for a month or two..problem just started about last two weeks, i traced the wires from the alternator, two wires leading me to the main harness an the other two, to the ecu..im getting power from black/yellow from the alternator 4 plug wire an from the bluish one. i completely strip my whole harness, to see if i got cut/plugs wires in the tape some where..but nope all looks good.

CaTcH22
11-28-2010, 09:57 AM
The load detector probably has your alternator turned off. They short out on the older cars sometimes. Although not a high failure part, but it can happen. Open your underhood fuse box and unplug it. It should have a black, black/yellow, and green red wire plug. What it does is tells the ecu to ground and open the C terminal when its at idle or the headlights are on, etc....

EJ6
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
BUMP