PDA

View Full Version : ATL airport - flying with small arms in checked luggage?

Schugg
11-24-2010, 06:13 PM
ive read on the TSA website and talked to delta, and both made it clear that i can fly with a small arms/pistol in my checked luggage, as long as i meet the guidelines, which are no problem. but then seen some post that the atl airport doesnt allow guns in or around the area? ive tried calling the airports tsa/security section and get no answer. does anyone know if this only applies to personally carrying the weapon, and i am still allowed to have it in checked in luggage? i dont want to leave here with my gun, and show up there to get arrested for it. also dont want to leave here with it, get out of the airport there, then show back up when i goto leave and have TSA go crazy cause i tell them i have to check a weapon in with my checked luggage.

BanginJimmy
11-24-2010, 06:24 PM
You can have a weapon, no ammo, in your checked luggage. You need to check the laws where ever you are going though to make sure you are legal there also. Some states require you to register all handguns.

Schugg
11-24-2010, 06:29 PM
no ammo? im coming from texas to atlanta, im good on everything here in texas. but pretty sure the tsa website said i can have ammo as long is not loaded in the gun or seperate magazines, has to be under a certain number of pounds of ammo, and it had to be in the original boxing or something with a plastic, wood, or foam diving the casings. going to check it again just incase. heres the link if anyone else ever needs to know. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

BanginJimmy
11-25-2010, 12:07 AM
That is news to me, I have always heard you couldnt pack ammo.

Echonova
11-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Negatory... Unless the rules have changed since the last time I've flown, I have packed guns and ammo on several flights. The guns are to be unloaded and locked in one case and the ammo in a different case/bag. That's about it.

Bacon
11-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Are you moving here or visiting?

EDIT: I see your location being Conyers so I assume you know our carrying laws. Lock the gun in one bag and ammo in another.

Schugg
11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
im visiting, i know a little but i need to re-read them since the last time i was there. been a while!

Bacon
11-25-2010, 11:47 AM
georgiapacking.org

Schugg
11-28-2010, 12:53 AM
well i put the unloaded gun and a box off ammo in the gun box and locked it and i had no problems getting here, was confused when i got here cause delta claims service told me i had to talk to TSA at the oversized luggage claim to get it cause thats where that stuff goes, but i got there and it wasn't there, but i found it going around on one of the normal claims. ill see if its as easy leaving, the dallas TSA just opened it and didnt even really look at it, then closed it and tossed my suitcase on the conveyor