PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Gran Turismo 5

allmotoronly
11-24-2010, 09:20 AM
So far it's disappointing. It's really just an updated version of GT4, with improved graphics. I would say that 75% of the cars are the exact same from GT4. After a five year wait, I would have thought that this game would blow my mind. Out of over 1000 cars, only about 60 are from the last 3 years. Many great cars are missing, and there are WAY too many variations of a few models, There are over 20 different variations of factory honda S2000's, not including tuned models. I think they could have spent more time. developing new cars. For example, there's no Cadillac CTS-V, but theres the 2002 Cadillac Cien concept, unchanged from GT4. It seems that over five years, all they could do was update the graphics to PS3 standards, and add a lot of flash to the same old GT4 game.

Sinfix_15
11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
i started to do this exact same post myself. I'll be putting my ps3 up for sale now, since GT5 was the only reason i had it. The cars ******ARE****** the exact same cars from GT4, thats why you cant change the wheels on standard cars. Because the wheel variations are in a higher resolution to match the 200ish cars they added to the game. The premium cars are the only NEW cars in the game. I shouldnt be surprised i dont guess, Gran Turismo has been reselling the same product for years now. They havnt made a significant change since Gran turismo 2... and they cut the game's content in half when they made that jump to the 3rd. All standard cars are just carry overs from the old game.. they didnt even upgrade the resolution, hence the before mentioned problem with changing rims. Not to mention, of the 1000+ cars listed, most of them are just variations of 1 car. Example, there's almost 60 skylines in this game.

GT and polyphony are no longer the visionaries they once were. GT2 was a fluke and the last truely satisfying game that they produced. GT5 is NOT the best racing game on the market. It's no better than Forza, NFS Shift or Project Gotham, which is pretty sad given the time it took to produce. very sad...................

WTS Playstation 3 w/ Brand new copy of GT5, NCAA Football 11 and misc others.

LightningSpeed
11-24-2010, 09:51 PM
regardless, the updated multiplayer is atleast somewhat of a improvement with the addition of voice chat, lobbies, etc. also, if they can get the face detection working + 3D immersion, that in itself is a whole new experience. especially if you got the logitech wheel. oh and 7.1 surround support is a plus. Loading times are just ridiculous...even after the 1 hour install. Then there is the shadows.... the physics seem to have taken a turn for the worse too as it seems more tuned for the new players, even with everthing turned off, it is alot more forgiving. GT has always been a good game, i think we just had too high of expectations for this one. However, 5 years of development time is a long time considering the finished product. But then again, since we are all connected to the internet VIA our PS3s, updates/patches could just be the answer! I hope PD/Sony listen to their long time GT fans and correct all these stupid minor setbacks/overlooks.

Now who want some?? I cant wait to rape some noobs on the nurb'ring!! and what is it with not being able to remove all the BS from the screen?? laptimes, chatroom, G indicator, blah blah.

sorry if i ranted lolz

Franco Tirador
11-25-2010, 12:52 PM
this sucks, Gran Turismo and metal gear solid are the only two games i got my ps3 for, i may still get it, im a gt nut

Sunkenkarma
11-28-2010, 01:46 PM
You cant play with a clutch, fail. Also there are no Collisions, the damage isnt realistic, IE Going 120 into a wall, just messes with the front end slightly. If you cant play with a clutch, what kind of racing sim is it? I dont want to buy the wheel just to get to use a clutch.

Elbow
11-28-2010, 03:09 PM
GT5 sucks, buy my PC and play REAL racing sims (iRacing/rFactor)

EmminoDaGreat
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I feel that the game has changed in a lot of ways, there actually is damage, the sounds of the cars are closer if not the actual car starting/running, when you mod a car it changes the exterior looks ie exhaust,lowering. Also when you adjust suspension componenets for alignment it makes the car do different things.

as far as the clutch thing? I use manual shifting on mine, what is it you're having problems with?

Sunkenkarma
11-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Ever played Forza? You can play manual with clutch, I cant believe that GT5 didnt catch on to that. So when you shift you press the button to shift while holding the clutch button. Helps a ton for drifting, and quicker shifts.

EmminoDaGreat
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
ohhhh gotcha

Scotsman
11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
anyone experience the screen" clippin" while racing?

r0bb86
11-30-2010, 06:33 AM
So you can't use the clutch with a G27 or Fanatec wheel setup? Or is it just no clutch with the controller?

I pretty much agree with everything said above. Very disappointed the game thus far.

Anyone else notice when you find the '54 Corvette (C1) in the used car dealership the corresponding text description is actually of a "Chevrolet truck"?

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I guess GT5 is a decent car game, but it being called a simulator is an absolute joke. This game is very arcade style, it surely doesnt simulate the driving experience.

Elbow
11-30-2010, 10:02 AM
I guess GT5 is a decent car game, but it being called a simulator is an absolute joke. This game is very arcade style, it surely doesnt simulate the driving experience.

Yeah GT4 was the most sim like console game ever made IMO.

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah GT4 was the most sim like console game ever made IMO.

Totally, i tried to take off in my car today without turning on the TCS (Which my car never had) and i did like a 400 yard burnout that left no tire marks and only made my tires steam as if i were driving over a pot of mixed vegetables. I then lost control and slammed into the wall. Luckily for me i just bounced off of it and kept on going.

NIRA racing for PC back in 2004 was so customizable you could adjust everything down to valve size and intake volumes, while looking at a real time dyno.They even had individual turbo specs from the manufacturers with different trim specs. 6 years later.... on the world's most premier driving simulator, i'm still installing "stage 3 engine package" on my car, where the most responsive tuning adjustment you can do to your car is adjust the TCS level. Is GT5 too busy to look at what other games are doing right????? there's so many aspects of other games that blow GT out of the water and they dont use them.

The lack of customization in GT5 is insulting. Back in the ps1 era, papyrus nascar racing allowed you to fully customize and paint your car, it was easily the most enjoyable aspect of the game. Seeing all the custom creations people could do with the paint setup. Why are games digressing???? The better the graphics get, the more the game play suffers. IMO, bring back cartoony looking games that play well.

Relentless
11-30-2010, 11:25 AM
i thought it would've been way better...and they didn't even put nitrous like in gt4....anyone tried playing online?..

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
anyone experience the screen" clippin" while racing?what he said...........

Relentless
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
lol what you mean

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 04:52 PM
its almost like the screen is glitchin ever so slightly while driving

300zNA
11-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Does GT 5 have old Japanese cars like Skylines and Datsuns?

300zNA
11-30-2010, 05:06 PM
I meen 70s and 80s?

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
yep

josh green
11-30-2010, 05:21 PM
For as realistic as cars handle in GT, could you imagine the level of difficulty by adding a functional clutch? People already flock to forza for its need for speed like customization, and lack of skill to drive the cars. GT always made you learn to drive smooth, or you were just slow. I cant count the number of people that were "good" at car games that you kill in the 1st corner b/c they use the stab and grab method of driving... Stab on the brakes and grabbing the gears, but I guess if you drive with aids then all your doing is just watching the tire wear. I have held out on buying a ps3 just for this game, if it sucks then I guess i'll go back to the previous.
Did they implement hp restrictions on races like back in GT2? I wish they would get back to that, plenty of people used the fastest car they could until they wound up with an open wheel car. One thing I really hated was the excessive lack of traction on the fwd cars, once you added any amount of power to them it was all wheelspin. 3rd gear burnouts on a 250+ hp fwd just isnt going to happen. The game can still get updates/fixes and whatnot like any other game though correct?

Relentless
11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
its almost like the screen is glitchin ever so slightly while driving

oh yeah, i noticed that

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 06:33 PM
oh yeah, i noticed thatsweet but not sweet , glad to know its the game and not my tv

Relentless
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
lol...its 10 times worst online

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM
hadnt dabbled in that yet , still gettin my liscences done and buildin up my garage

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
i do like how you can gift cars to friends on the game

Echonova
11-30-2010, 07:06 PM
i do like how you can gift cars to friends on the gameCan you gift me a PS3, so you would have the ability to gift me a car in the game?

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
For as realistic as cars handle in GT, could you imagine the level of difficulty by adding a functional clutch? People already flock to forza for its need for speed like customization, and lack of skill to drive the cars. GT always made you learn to drive smooth, or you were just slow. I cant count the number of people that were "good" at car games that you kill in the 1st corner b/c they use the stab and grab method of driving... Stab on the brakes and grabbing the gears, but I guess if you drive with aids then all your doing is just watching the tire wear. I have held out on buying a ps3 just for this game, if it sucks then I guess i'll go back to the previous.
Did they implement hp restrictions on races like back in GT2? I wish they would get back to that, plenty of people used the fastest car they could until they wound up with an open wheel car. One thing I really hated was the excessive lack of traction on the fwd cars, once you added any amount of power to them it was all wheelspin. 3rd gear burnouts on a 250+ hp fwd just isnt going to happen. The game can still get updates/fixes and whatnot like any other game though correct?

no HP restrictions, one of the early races gives you a 62 buick special as a prize car, it goes up to 900hp and is good enough to win the first world championship race with. also easy to complete all of the old car and supercar races with. So far, its the only car ive really used to make money with. i'm @ the "expert" stage of the game and still dont have a legit race car.....

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 08:02 PM
how the hell did you get the 62' to 900hp?

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
how the hell did you get the 62' to 900hp?

well, its like 860 or something like that...... either way, thats the car i used to win the first world championship race where it shows you the end credits.

pretty disappointing, the hardest part of the game is finding cars to meet the restrictions. I still dont have an actual race car on the game, im trying to win that old school race car one in the expert series with the 62 and cant seem to do it.

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
truth on the hardest part is gettin the cars to race the races , stupid french car races ,lol , the used car lot has been givin me mad headaches waitin for certain cars

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Can you gift me a PS3, so you would have the ability to gift me a car in the game?i'll see what i can do............................

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
truth on the hardest part is gettin the cars to race the races , stupid french car races ,lol , the used car lot has been givin me mad headaches waitin for certain cars

yeah really, the french car race was a pain in the ass, i cant even remember what i used for that. im pretty much stuck right now, fixed up the tuner car version of the VW r32 to do that german car race and turns out its listed as canadian?!?!??! dont really have any other races to level up with, guess ill do some of that special race stuff to open up the lambo race. If the 62 was good enough to win the old school race car race, i would be set.... doesnt seem possible.

Reps to anyone who can win the 60s-70s racecar challenge in the buick 62..............

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 08:27 PM
so far my favorite" get money" race is the 80's jap race in pro races , the 87' mugen civic hatch is insane on those two tracks , $20,000 per 5 laps

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 08:31 PM
so far my favorite" get money" race is the 80's jap race in pro races , the 87' mugen civic hatch is insane on those two tracks , $20,000 per 5 laps

i sported the 89 skyline gtr for that one, was pretty easymode. I wish they would let you sell the Veryon prize car.... 2,000,000 in the used car section, but wont let you sell the one they give you.

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
there has been quite a few cars i have no need for but wont let me sell them

Sinfix_15
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
there has been quite a few cars i have no need for but wont let me sell them

like this?

http://www.allaboutauto.us/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/zero_450.jpg

Relentless
11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
hadnt dabbled in that yet , still gettin my liscences done and buildin up my garage

oh ok cool...its always a group of people that is online and made a room for 'Hondas' and basically its always the same people meeting up on the same track, to drag race through a tunnel...its pretty funny

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
like this?

http://www.allaboutauto.us/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/zero_450.jpglmao , yep

Scotsman
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
oh ok cool...its always a group of people that is online and made a room for 'Hondas' and basically its always the same people meeting up on the same track, to drag race through a tunnel...its pretty funnyadd drunkscotsman31

Relentless
11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
ok

adodd3
12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
I'll add my disappointment to the mix also. My friend bought GT5 the day after it was released. He & I both had such high hopes & was excited to play for the 1st time.

It's very disappointing that there is only 200 premium cars that are customizable & even then it seems very limited.

I like many others have been holding out for this game as a deciding factor to me owning a PS3...............but it does have some nice features too.

I really enjoyed rally racing through the snow or dirt. I guess it just comes down to what they can do to fix it with upgrades & such. Hopefully they can save it in the long run.

VIP Style
12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
I have learned not to expect too much from games anymore. Overall, GT5 is a pretty cool car/racing game. Not exactly a great simulation like we would have expected considering how long it took for this game to drop.

dc4_wHORE
12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Actually thought about picking this game.. i'll probably just borrow it from a co worker now.

allmotoronly
12-03-2010, 09:09 AM
So I'm at level 20 now... Still trying to like the game, but it's getting boring quick. As far as cars, I've got a dozen or so that are fully modded, but still can't find one that handles to my liking. Four years ago I waited in line for 12 hours to buy a ps3 on release day just because GT5 was supposed to be just months away. My original ps3 box even has pics on the box of games "coming soon" and GT5 is in there. Now that the game is here, all I want to do is throw it through a window and sell my two ps3's...

bbuba
12-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Dam poor guys...
I have a 360 ... But had a ps2 with gt4 back in the day....
I have forza 2 lookin at forza 3...
Forza really changes the way I race...
I had no skill on gt4 because into tue need for speed and fast and furious stuff being a young teen...
Sucks that y'all don't like it

VooDooXII
12-06-2010, 04:34 PM
I wrote a big review on the game! (http://voodooxii.wordpress.com/) <---Link. If you read it please leave some feedback. I'm a journalism student and this blogging stuff is good practice for me.

Basically, I think the game is great but I was expecting it to be AMAZING. Most of it comes down to how long it's taken to make the game, and in some regards it's a step backwards from previous games. I still love it though. I've waited too long not to.

My biggest issue with all new games is that developers seem to have adopted the "We'll patch it later" policy. This means more games are coming out with glaring glitches and incomplete features.

Chuckster
12-23-2010, 02:41 PM
I wrote a big review on the game! (http://voodooxii.wordpress.com/) <---Link. If you read it please leave some feedback. I'm a journalism student and this blogging stuff is good practice for me.

Basically, I think the game is great but I was expecting it to be AMAZING. Most of it comes down to how long it's taken to make the game, and in some regards it's a step backwards from previous games. I still love it though. I've waited too long not to.

My biggest issue with all new games is that developers seem to have adopted the "We'll patch it later" policy. This means more games are coming out with glaring glitches and incomplete features.

Nice review voodoo. I'm no writer but here is my rant.

I traded my 360 for a PS3 just for GT5. I read a lot of reviews and watch a lot of game play trailers before I made the trade. I was impressed with the trailers and reviews. I was sucked into the hype of the game. The night I got the game, I did not play much but enjoyed what i played. I loved the graphics.

The next day I had more time to get in depth with the game. First I notice there was no live type of storefront/market place to buy and sale cars to other players. Next I noticed in the used car dealer and online dealership, the cars will change every now and then making it hard for you to find the car you want for a certain race. You have to be a certain lvl to purchase a car, bullshit. Ugh, I don't even want to get started on the damage. B-spec is a waste of time and space. WTF were they thinking when they decided to go ahead with that. The car maintenance is a joke, about the only thing "realistic", yet there is no damage. C'mon maaan!

Polyphony had over 5 years to make a "REAL RACING SIMULATION" game. A game to dominate F3. And its like they didn't even pick up a copy of F3 to see what they were up against. I feel like I was playing GT and GT2 but with better graphics.

BTW F4 comes out this FALL.

VooDooXII
12-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have a Chaparral 2D or 2J? I need something for the Historic Racing Car Cup, and there's no way I'm able to afford any of the cars that are eligible.

Scotsman
12-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Does anyone have a Chaparral 2D or 2J? I need something for the Historic Racing Car Cup, and there's no way I'm able to afford any of the cars that are eligible.i am in the same boat

VooDooXII
12-25-2010, 10:35 PM
When I got around two million in the bank, I thought I was ballin' but so many of these cars I want are in the tens of millions!

Speaking of which, I'm surprise the Chaparral 2F isn't in the game. Personally, that's the first car I think of when someone says "Chaparral."

On_Her_Face
01-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I bought the game, I like it just fine, it was worth buying a used ps3 to play. It met my expectations so I was not let down like most of you. Only thing I would say is add more races. I've only got the F1 race, Historic Racecar, and last 8 (out of 9) endurance races left to do. I found out the best way to cycle through the used car lot is to go to license test and just click next challenge (do this till the b-5 challenge for example) and you have cycled through a new list of used cars.

I have enough cash right now for the Toyota 7 Race car which is in my lot or wait for the Gran Turismo F1 car, I think I'll just wait for it. IDK :(

D.Choe
01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Does anyone have a Chaparral 2D or 2J? I need something for the Historic Racing Car Cup, and there's no way I'm able to afford any of the cars that are eligible.

You have to win the Jag XJ13 Race Car from the Indy 500 Endurance race, but you have to have the Formula Gran Turismo for Indy 500. And it's ~5mil.

Right now I'm at A-Spec lvl 30 and B-Spec lvl 22 and so far my biggest complaint about GT5 is the exp/credit grinding you have to do when you're near the end. This version of GT is a good representation of all of the GT series combined, and in the end, it encapsulates all of the games into this edition. There are some screen glitches (like in the long straight in SSR7 or the rare 1 frame glitch on Nurburgring), but I feel that the overall quality and feel of the game is fantastic. If you can appreciate the amount of detail that is put into the game, then the game is enjoyable. Gameplay wise it sticks to the GT4 physics engine, but with the elimination of that weird awkward snap oversteer in some cars (which is very nice). With all driving assists off non-race spec cars fitted with sports hard feel like they would and/or should in the real world. Yes, PD had 5 years to develop the game, and Yamauchi and his team tried to produce a game that would be appealing to newcomers to GT as well as vets. I feel like that's the reason why they wanted more time to incorporate everyone's needs and wants into the game, but instead they were forced to release it unfinished (and it shows in some aspects).

Bottom line is that GT5 is a great game IMO and the GT community (GTPlanet) appreciates the game very much. If you prefer Forza over GT, then by all means play it instead. They are both good racing games. Different strokes for different folks.

If anyone wants to race add me: dch1zzle

Relentless
01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
cool, i use: N_San-Andreas

VooDooXII
01-15-2011, 08:09 AM
You have to win the Jag XJ13 Race Car from the Indy 500 Endurance race, but you have to have the Formula Gran Turismo for Indy 500. And it's ~5mil.

Cool man. I need to do some grinding to get to cash for that car though.

ghostrida3
01-31-2011, 07:32 AM
I bought a ps3 solely for this game..honestly my expectations were high. They took forever to make while in the meantime forza has had 3 games since gt4. i dont think any of the forzas can touch it but forza 3 is a little too close considering what i have come to expect from polyphony. The thing that really pisses me off is the premium car nonsense you. I finally found ver6 impreza sti coupe and i cant really do anything with it...i cant drive from the cockpit view, i cant change rims, this is ridiculous considering the time put into this game. I personally think that most games have taken a turn for the worst. It seems like developers are more concerned with making the online portion of the game than the actual game play. I could care less if this didnt have online i just bought it to race cars that i cant have in real life and race up against the cars i cant have with some of the cars i do lol. That being said its still the best racing sim out on game consoles..
On a side note: when the opening credits start did anybody think "oh snap, someone packaged up the wrong game-what is this some type of weird rpg?"

SHHHH
01-31-2011, 05:30 PM
On a side note: when the opening credits start did anybody think "oh snap, someone packaged up the wrong game-what is this some type of weird rpg?"

Hahahaha I was like:thinking:.......BBC Planet Earth DVD? hahaha

VooDooXII
02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Man the more Forza videos I see, the more I wish I had that game. Yes, Gran Turismo has more cars but Forza has more desirable cars.

chaseamundo
02-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I enjoyed it honestly, i never played GT4 so this is all new to me.

2turbo4u
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't have the game but my buddy keep bitching about the stupid "Bob" drivers haha!

ghostrida3
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
i just got the logitech driving force gt..this is the most fun i have ever had on a racing game...
i was dissapointed with this but i will say even without the steering wheel forza 3 cant touch this.

Spin2nd
02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Anyone have a Ferrari F2007 or F2010 They can send me so I can duplicate it and send it right back to you?