PDA

View Full Version : Had an accident, now what?

joshk5145
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
So this happened around seven forty this evening. I was just cruising on my way home (it was raining by the way) probably doin 50-55 in a 55 speed zone when this guy pulled right out in front of me. I had very little time to do anything about it, couldn't stop and rear ended him. Damage to my car= front bumper came off, driver side fender is gone (fiber glass), hood is way beyond repair and radiator support has been pushed back.Had to be towed away. No air bag deploy or anything. The other guys car is ok, maybe a scratched up bumper. I'm pretty sure he admitted fault (cop spoke with him while I went to get my insurance card so I'm not really sure what happened) cop didn't ask for my side of the story or anything. I think the other guy got a ticket. This is my first wreck and I'm not really sure what happens or what I need to do now. I only have minimum coverage (with geico) the other guy has farm bureau.
I guess I've got to finish the turbo civic up pretty quick now but what do I do in the mean time? Just wait for the police report? I called my insurance and reported it but I've got no clue what to do now... I should have pics of the carnage tomorro for anybody interested.lol

Bacon
11-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Did you get a ticket for following too closely?

oneSLOWex
11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
His insurance company should contact you in a day or so and get a statement from you. They should tell you everything you need to know as far as them fixing your car and any medical issues(if there were any). If you havent heard anything from them in a couple days, I would give them a call and have the guys name and police report number handy. Ive had a similar thing happen to me, only I hit the guy right behind his rear wheel when he turned in front of me. My wreck was out of state and was a fucking nightmare to get them to pay 100%...but eventually they did their job.

Good luck!

joshk5145
11-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Did you get a ticket for following too closely?

Nope, actually an off duty cop was behind me and pretty much saw the wreck so he knows the guy just pulled out when he wasn't supposed to.

joshk5145
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
His insurance company should contact you in a day or so and get a statement from you. They should tell you everything you need to know as far as them fixing your car and any medical issues(if there were any). If you havent heard anything from them in a couple days, I would give them a call and have the guys name and police report number handy. Ive had a similar thing happen to me, only I hit the guy right behind his rear wheel when he turned in front of me. My wreck was out of state and was a fucking nightmare to get them to pay 100%...but eventually they did their job.

Good luck!

Thanks man. I hope this doesn't get dragged out too bad. It seems like all kinds of shit happens when your tryin to save up for the holidays.

oneSLOWex
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks man. I hope this doesn't get dragged out too bad. It seems like all kinds of shit happens when your tryin to save up for the holidays.

With you having an off duty officer pretty much see everything like you said, there shouldn't be any issues. I had to deal with the morons insurance company telling me I was somewhat at fault seeing as how I hit the rear part of his car and that I should have had time to avoid the accident. Being on a 4 lane road with a 45+ mph speed limit and rush hour traffic to boot I didnt have time to even finish saying OH SHIT! lol

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
You'll have to wait til about the end of next week to go get the police report. If you haven't heard from the other guy's insurance company (which you probably won't), call them after you get the report. No sense in calling when you don't have all the info beforehand. You'll be asked to get estimates from either 2 or 3 repair shops and you'll submit them to the insurance company. They will send out their guy to assess the damages and then between him and your estimates and that insurance company, they will work out how much to give you for damages. Later, QD.

joshk5145
11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
All I could think was o fuck o fuck when it was happening. lol

Does it really take that long for the police report? The guy said like 24-48 hours but I know that doesn't always mean it will really take that long. It's kind of a small town so they shouldn't have too much going on. Although (off topic) we watched a high speed chase right after I got home. We watched them go by our house and about 15-20 mins later come back by but the car sounded like it had flat tires the second time lol. Very rare for where I live.

-EnVus-
11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
A 55mph accident did that much damage to yours but not his :thinking::thinking:

quickdodgeŽ
11-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Does it really take that long for the police report? The guy said like 24-48 hours but I know that doesn't always mean it will really take that long.

Have to remember that we're coming into a long holiday weekend, dude. Most state and federal employees will be off Thursday and Friday and usually they get off work about a half day on tomorrow, too. Later, QD.

joshk5145
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
A 55mph accident did that much damage to yours but not his :thinking::thinking:

I was probably only going about forty when this happened (I'm guessing. I hit the brakes as soon as I saw him pulling out). Yea It seems odd that it didn't mess his up too bad. He was in a newer Buick. To be honest I didn't really check it out and it was raining and dark so there could be more to it. It was just what I saw from standing in front of my car.

-EnVus-
11-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I was probably only going about forty when this happened (I'm guessing. I hit the brakes as soon as I saw him pulling out). Yea It seems odd that it didn't mess his up too bad. He was in a newer Buick. To be honest I didn't really check it out and it was raining and dark so there could be more to it. It was just what I saw from standing in front of my car.

Yeah an American is build tough compared to Imports so it can happen

BanginJimmy
11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Everyone has pretty much covered everything, but dont listen to the insurance company when they tell you where to go. You can get your vehicle fixed anywhere you want. I learned this after my wreck and still wish i would have gone back to the dealer instead of the shop they sent me to.

Also, make sure his insurance company covers a "like model" rental. Dont let them put you into an echo unless that is similar to what you are driving now.

I dont know if GA law is different, but when I got into my wreck I still had my truck licensed in Illinois and they would not cover aftermarket parts. If I wanted anything aftermarket, they would only pay the cost of OE and I had to pick up the difference myself.

joshk5145
11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
When Would I be able to ask for a rental? After the police report is done and all?

I've got Pics but it's not letting me upload them. Can anybody help me out posting them? The guy at the shop told me he was pretty sure they would total it out.

Dylan
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't push anything right now. Wait until you get the report. It could be listed as your fault and you wont get reimbursed. Because on paper you could be going" too fast for conditions".

BanginJimmy
11-25-2010, 12:02 AM
You are stuck until you can get that report number. if you had full coverage you could also go through your insurance company for a rental, then they would go to the other guys insurance to be compensated for it. You could always call and ask your insurance about that though.

Echonova
11-25-2010, 12:05 AM
You are stuck until you can get that report number. if you had full coverage you could also go through your insurance company for a rental, then they would go to the other guys insurance to be compensated for it. You could always call and ask your insurance about that though.This...

Minimal coverage is just that though... Minimal.

You don't get Platinum privileges for being a Gold member.

joshk5145
11-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. At the moment I'm too pressed for a ride so I can wait. My wife can carpool to her classes so I'll manage. Just need a few more parts and my project car will be up and running. hopefully by the end of the week I can have something to drive either way.
Thanks for the help.

Hellz987
12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Aw man, that sucks man. Hope it's not actually totaled. You should be able to get a rental now - but just might not be reimbursed until later so it's a bit risky. There's an aritcle about this on http://www.rentersinsurance.org though - under the automobile section so that might help you out with some good info if you need it. Good luck with everything mate!

Blitanicle99
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Get a rental car and them ad it on the bill. Most body repair shops can make sure that gets covered.

Echonova
12-29-2010, 05:37 PM
This thread is over a month old...

BanginJimmy
12-30-2010, 05:35 PM
This thread is over a month old...

The dates on posts are so hard to find on this new format though.

Catnip
12-30-2010, 07:19 PM
The dates are in the top left of the post... not exactly hidden...

BanginJimmy
12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
The dates are in the top left of the post... not exactly hidden...

I guess sarcasm doesnt come off well over the internet.

Echonova
12-31-2010, 11:56 AM
I got it.

But I'm a very sarcastic person.

joshk5145
01-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry I never got around to updating this. A lot has happened but I'll sum it up. insurance company tried to not accept fault, I called and bugged the hell out of them 2-3 times a day, they accepted fault and totaled my car out, They paid fair market value of the car but not my entire loan, they sent the check to the loan company, had to share my wifes car with her since mine was totaled, my buddy who is in iraq let me use his truck, wife's car broke a timing belt, share'd the truck and now have her car running... Trying to finish up my project car so I'll have something of my own to drive. Anybody give me a street tune? lol (d16a6, garrett t3, dsm 450's, p28 with hondata s200)

Halfwit
01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
You didnt bug them to pay your full loan amount?

BanginJimmy
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
You didnt bug them to pay your full loan amount?

x2. You should have fought with them some more to have the loan paid in full.

joshk5145
01-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I wish they would have but I only got to talk to the total loss rep once and once they found out it was on a loan they called the loan company and then I got a call from my loan company. The only bad thing is that I was way behind on my loan since I got laid off but found out I have unemployment insurance that will go back and pay my payments since I've been unemployed so my loan may be paid off either way.