PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods 98 jdm type r turbo?

JDMJESSIE
11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
ok i have a semi built 98 jdm type r motor that im thinking of turboing. its N/A right now an it pulls hard but, i want to make it faster. so my Q is, if i go turbo? what kind of setup can i run while being safe. cause i want it to DD. any help will appreciatted. here's some info on my setup!!!

mods:
stock head
stock valve train
stock itr cams
stock crank
stock oem gasket
stock mani an TB
je pistons 10:5 .20 over
eagle rods
arp head studs
arp rod studs

Black4DrEK
11-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Shit jessie, Im not too familiar with the whole turbo setups YET. But I know your motor is ready for it. IF you really want to..

Wait for some other turbo Fans.. Chime in and see what some GOOD parts/setup are.. Then you know what to do.. HOLLA at me..

But I know that YOU know.. no Ebay BULLSHIT.. Quality parts is a MUST big bro...

chaseamundo
11-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Yea usually people like lower compression on turbo setups (8:5.0 or 8:0.0) because they elieve its safer. Personally im a fan of high compression and boost. i know someone running 14:0.0 compression on low boost with a gt30r i believe,putting out 600HP.

Do your research, their is no such thing as to much research. For example the FAQ in the forced induction forum is a sick layout and will help you understand what you need etc.

I'd also have a goal in mind bc then youll know what your aiming for and wont be shooting in the dark if you will.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! is the tune. Its ALL in the tune so dont cheap out when tuning.

WAT TURBO?
11-17-2010, 09:01 PM
You might consider a head gasket also. Your compression is kinda high but wouldnt be bad to run low boost on a DD. The higher the compression, the less sluggish it will be out of boost (obviously) but you will be able to make a higher peak hp with lower compression. There is a reason MOST forced induction motors have a lower compression ratio. Its been proven. You will need fuel upgrades as well.

My vote is this: keep your bottom end the way it is, esp since you already have aftermarket pistons. I think the higher compression and low psi would be fine for a DD. Good Luck

chaseamundo
11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
agreed

dont forget to tune!!!!

Black4DrEK
11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
^ Damn I WANT YOUR DAMN AVATAR!!

Shit looks yummy! HAHA

yea Jess, I would keep your bottom the same.. Just get some Quality parts for the setup..

Any recomendations on parts guys?

chaseamundo
11-17-2010, 09:19 PM
well whats the goal.....?

JDMJESSIE
11-18-2010, 08:56 AM
thanx for the info guys!!!

my goal would be to get at less more then 250whp!!!

chaseamundo
11-18-2010, 09:00 AM
shit if 250 is your gooal then id run a td04 turbo. probably a cast iron greddy manifold.

its a small turbo but itll get you to 250. and itll spool quick for you

Black4DrEK
11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
250??

Come on jess.. you can do more than that....

You want to turbo your car for just a extra 50 hp.. Shoot for atleast 300-350

chaseamundo
11-18-2010, 11:14 AM
then id run a 16g or 18g.

but to each his own

WAT TURBO?
11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
You could do the setup for cheap with good parts. Find a cast manifold and a mitsu turbo of some kind. 16g would work great on this setup esp if your goal is 250whp. That would be nice in a DD.

chaseamundo
11-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Yea what i said....lol

JDMJESSIE
11-18-2010, 12:54 PM
250??

Come on jess.. you can do more than that....

You want to turbo your car for just a extra 50 hp.. Shoot for atleast 300-350

ok i guess 50hp more is crazy knowing my car is around the 190hp range all motor. so i guess 300 or more would be great!!!

chaseamundo
11-18-2010, 02:27 PM
16g /18g turbo

JDMJESSIE
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
16g /18g turbo

thanx for the info bro!!!

j0nbunklah0m
11-19-2010, 03:18 PM
What do you want your car for. I always prefer smaller turbos for quicker spool. However some people like big turbos for hwy runs i guess but i think its retarded when a car doesnt even spool til like 6k rpms

JDMJESSIE
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
What do you want your car for. I always prefer smaller turbos for quicker spool. However some people like big turbos for hwy runs i guess but i think its retarded when a car doesnt even spool til like 6k rpms

well i dd it an want to keep it that way but turboed. so i dont want to make big power right now. just something to miss with my cusin's c5 vette!!!!

chaseamundo
11-19-2010, 08:00 PM
then stick with a small turbo

turbob20
11-20-2010, 12:57 AM
stick with the 300 hp goal! usually much after that traction will be more of an issue as well as stock axles and so on! be sure your clucth is up to the task too as slippage can play in here too! also maybe look into what these gents are talking about or maybe even a t3-t4 at the biggest with a .48 a/r exhaust housing for quick spool but room to grow if any desire arises later on down the road should still be good to around 350 -375. if using a high redline type r ecu or equivelant some of the earlier mentioned turbos as well as mine could choke off around 6000-6500 rpms with more rpms left before a shift! a .63 a/r will be good to redline on the exhaust side so maybe a 50 trim with .63 a/r would suit you too! a boost at around 8-10 on a good tune will easily get you around 300+ with either of these turbos but a bigger compressor side with a more free flowing exhaust builds more power at lower boost! good luck!

Bacon
11-20-2010, 06:08 AM
My turbo preference is the GT2860RS which is also called the disco potato. T28 sized for quick spool and makes great HP and will easily reach your goals of 300hp. Do some research on Honda Tech to see what all setups have been run and it will give you some ideas. I would partially agree on the comment about cheap parts as it depends on what the part is. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR TUNE!!! Tuning is the key to reliability.

Black4DrEK
11-20-2010, 10:14 AM
stick with the 300 hp goal! usually much after that traction will be more of an issue as well as stock axles and so on! be sure your clucth is up to the task too as slippage can play in here too! also maybe look into what these gents are talking about or maybe even a t3-t4 at the biggest with a .48 a/r exhaust housing for quick spool but room to grow if any desire arises later on down the road should still be good to around 350 -375. if using a high redline type r ecu or equivelant some of the earlier mentioned turbos as well as mine could choke off around 6000-6500 rpms with more rpms left before a shift! a .63 a/r will be good to redline on the exhaust side so maybe a 50 trim with .63 a/r would suit you too! a boost at around 8-10 on a good tune will easily get you around 300+ with either of these turbos but a bigger compressor side with a more free flowing exhaust builds more power at lower boost! good luck!

Thanks for the input

My turbo preference is the GT2860RS which is also called the disco potato. T28 sized for quick spool and makes great HP and will easily reach your goals of 300hp. Do some research on Honda Tech to see what all setups have been run and it will give you some ideas. I would partially agree on the comment about cheap parts as it depends on what the part is. DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR TUNE!!! Tuning is the key to reliability.

Yea he will be getting a Tune forsure.

SPOOLIN
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
your compression is fine. You engine is "safe" up to 500hp. Its always a crap shoot with stock sleeves. ....if you had a sleeved block your setup would be good to around 650-700.

you dont have to "run low boost" with that compression and im tired of hearing that shit.

you can run 25 fucking pounds on it if you want to. Timing is key.

I run Pump e85 on 11:1 with a big fucking turbo and to much boost...850+

Black4DrEK
11-21-2010, 04:38 PM
your compression is fine. You engine is "safe" up to 500hp. Its always a crap shoot with stock sleeves. ....if you had a sleeved block your setup would be good to around 650-700.

you dont have to "run low boost" with that compression and im tired of hearing that shit.

Thanks!

chaseamundo
11-21-2010, 06:46 PM
i was just trrying to play it safe for the guy. he said 300 so low boost plus high compression......

P.s. i wanna know what the tq numbers are when your done

JDMJESSIE
11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

lol i hear ya man but, at this time. im going for lower power cause like i said, its going to be a DD. so

i dont want to take the chance of blowing it. just to be on the safe side. maybe ill take the swap later on down the

line an try to go for 600-700. thanx tho

trini_gsr
11-22-2010, 03:26 PM
ok i have a semi built 98 jdm type r motor that im thinking of turboing. its N/A right now an it pulls hard but, i want to make it faster. so my Q is, if i go turbo? what kind of setup can i run while being safe. cause i want it to DD. any help will appreciatted. here's some info on my setup!!!

mods:
stock head
stock valve train
stock itr cams
stock crank
stock oem gasket
stock mani an TB
je pistons 10:5 .20 over
eagle rods
arp head studs
arp rod studs

with this motor setup, i agree with the guy who said get a disco potato (2860rs)...except i'd go a little bigger with a gt2871r - you will comfortably make 300whp. a disco potato *might* start to run out of breath up top with your setup, since you have an itr valvetrain. my 1st turbo was a gt28r, just a tad smaller than the disco, and it stopped making power around 7.5k or so (but I could rev to 9k cuz my head was built), running 16lbs and making about 250whp.

i was using 9.5:1 pistons and a pretty conservative tune though. So with 10.5:1 you'd actually probably get to 300whp with the disco although the 2871 will get you there with less boost and basically the same spool time...i guess you can do more research on it but definitely look into those 2 turbos for the power goals you have.

JDMJESSIE
11-22-2010, 04:06 PM
with this motor setup, i agree with the guy who said get a disco potato (2860rs)...except i'd go a little bigger with a gt2871r - you will comfortably make 300whp. a disco potato *might* start to run out of breath up top with your setup, since you have an itr valvetrain. my 1st turbo was a gt28r, just a tad smaller than the disco, and it stopped making power around 7.5k or so (but I could rev to 9k cuz my head was built), running 16lbs and making about 250whp.

i was using 9.5:1 pistons and a pretty conservative tune though. So with 10.5:1 you'd actually probably get to 300whp with the disco although the 2871 will get you there with less boost and basically the same spool time...i guess you can do more research on it but definitely look into those 2 turbos for the power goals you have.

i would like something that can make power until 8K at less cause i like high rev man. but i see that there's so many setups that are available!!! just like everyone says "just do some more research"

turbob20
11-23-2010, 01:12 AM
DD remember! i dont think spoolins beast is too street friendly! lol. damn quick car though!

turbob20
11-23-2010, 01:22 AM

i believe DD was the key work here! man im glad to see you hp #s still goin up! hows that thing turning with those big meats on front now? bet she still has a time hooking up for ya! that cars unbelievable man!

*EFilliated*
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Dayumm mad people going boost, next step is for victor to go turbo lol. TUNE IS EVERYTHING g/l with everything