PDA

View Full Version : D15B8 head is very noisey, should I be concerned?

r.etheridge
11-12-2010, 06:20 AM
I have a D15B8 engine in my 94 civic coupe. it has 140k on it. the head is noisey at low rpm's like it sounds like maybe a loose valve or rocker but once you push the gas pedal down past 1/4 of the way the sound lightens. it runs strong but also burns about a half a qt of oil every 1000 miles or so. should i be concerned at this point and what could the sound in the head be? not sure about the B8 heads on being noisey. I know the B8's head is designed different than a B7 head. any info would be appericiated.

silversol
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
when were the valves adjusted last?

RBS
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
valve lash adjustment

r.etheridge
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM
when were the valves adjusted last?

have no clue but thats what it sounds like to me just wasnt sure if this head was known for being noisey or not

r.etheridge
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I just adjusted the valves but the sound is still going on at higher rpm's like after 3,000. any ideas what i should do next?

Black4DrEK
11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Correct valve lash?

Also when you took the VC off.. did you notice any loose parts?

r.etheridge
11-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Correct valve lash?

Also when you took the VC off.. did you notice any loose parts?

nothing was loose or broken, everything looked good as far as I could tell. not real familiar with these 8 valve heads. and not real familiar with checking valve terrain in general. I mean i adjusted the springs to .008 and .010 if thats what you are talking about valve lash. If not, could you explain the process to me please or point me in the right direction of a thread. thanks

JJSPEC Racing
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
You need to get someone experienced with Honda's to listen to it. I have seen camshafts with a flat spot on it cause really weird valvetrain sounding noise. If you can ride up to Macon we can help you with it.

xero_xero
11-25-2010, 07:43 PM
noise on the top end is valves, rarely seen a rocker have a problem. as far as the cam goes, its hard to inspec it in these motors.

you need a special tool for adjusting the valves, pictured below. it shopuld be .007 on intake and .009 on the exhaust. jam nuts should be torqued to 13 ft/lbs.

the head should be torqued, and the engine should have sat overnite. no worm motors for adjusting valves.

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/D16Y/tools.jpg

r.etheridge
11-26-2010, 01:38 PM
noise on the top end is valves, rarely seen a rocker have a problem. as far as the cam goes, its hard to inspec it in these motors.

you need a special tool for adjusting the valves, pictured below. it shopuld be .007 on intake and .009 on the exhaust. jam nuts should be torqued to 13 ft/lbs.

the head should be torqued, and the engine should have sat overnite. no worm motors for adjusting valves.

http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/D16Y/tools.jpg
yeah ive alredy done that and the noise continues. followed a honda manual to the tee.

xero_xero
11-26-2010, 04:03 PM
next step is the leak down test, to see if your valves are bent... if any. if not, then you may want to consider a newish top end....

r.etheridge
11-27-2010, 10:21 AM
next step is the leak down test, to see if your valves are bent... if any. if not, then you may want to consider a newish top end....
is there any write up as to how to check that? Im assuming that you must remove the head for that. If so, I would probably go ahead and get a reman. head.

h22 jones
11-28-2010, 01:26 AM
if your motor is using oil like you say then im guessing it has alot of miles on it the last thing you want do is put a reman head on it . If you do you will be buying a bottom end to put that head on . If it was me i would either find me a nice motor to rebuild or start looking for a nice motor and run this one till it quits . You have already done the only thing worth doing to that motor since it has miles on it and thats adjust the valves .if you figure by the time you buy a head and gaskets you could spend alittle more for a low mileage engine trust me unless you know what your doing and build honda motors all the time with tones of stuff laying around you are better off buying a low mileage engine and dropping it in. I have also seen a tone of honda motors with valve train noise that lasted forever so im not saying you need to be worried im just saying invest you money in a nice new motor and not a head thats going to beat your bottom end out thats all. I have tones of stuff laying around i mean anything you could think of and by the time you figure in labor a low mileage engine is cheaper everytime not to mention everybody makes mistakes lets say you forget one little thing and do something to mess your new head or rebuilt motor up there goes all your money when you could have just dropped in a nice new low mileage motor hell pm exactly what motor that is if its not h or bseries i dont know alot of numbers im guessing sinlge vtec but obd1 or 2 ? I might have a nice motor for cheap .

r.etheridge
11-28-2010, 06:48 AM
if your motor is using oil like you say then im guessing it has alot of miles on it the last thing you want do is put a reman head on it . If you do you will be buying a bottom end to put that head on . If it was me i would either find me a nice motor to rebuild or start looking for a nice motor and run this one till it quits . You have already done the only thing worth doing to that motor since it has miles on it and thats adjust the valves .if you figure by the time you buy a head and gaskets you could spend alittle more for a low mileage engine trust me unless you know what your doing and build honda motors all the time with tones of stuff laying around you are better off buying a low mileage engine and dropping it in. I have also seen a tone of honda motors with valve train noise that lasted forever so im not saying you need to be worried im just saying invest you money in a nice new motor and not a head thats going to beat your bottom end out thats all. I have tones of stuff laying around i mean anything you could think of and by the time you figure in labor a low mileage engine is cheaper everytime not to mention everybody makes mistakes lets say you forget one little thing and do something to mess your new head or rebuilt motor up there goes all your money when you could have just dropped in a nice new low mileage motor hell pm exactly what motor that is if its not h or bseries i dont know alot of numbers im guessing sinlge vtec but obd1 or 2 ? I might have a nice motor for cheap .
I understand what your saying. The motor only has 140k on it which really isnt much for a honda to be honest. it does burn oil, but I have been thinking about what your saying about running it until it blows and getting a motor with low miles and dropping it in which would probably be my best bet at this point. Only thing is I drive to north macon a lot during the week for business purposes which is about 40 miles from the house and my luck, it would decide to blow up there and 2, right now this is my primary vehicle since my wife is driving my truck until we find her what she wants. But the engine runs strong just was wondering about the noise. Ive asked on a few other forums and their response has been about the same. I need to adjust the valves , which i did, and that these D15B8 heads are a little noisey to start off with. so I think im going to drive it and see what happens and in the mean time look for a D15B7 replacement with low miles. thanks for everyones help