PDA

View Full Version : New bilingual school in Georgia

thinkfast®
11-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Clayton County residents can expect to see the first elementary school in the state where students will be offered an education completely bilingual until the fifth grade.

The county’s school board approved the proposal this week voting 8-0. Unidos Dual Language Charter School is scheduled to open next fall.

Students will learn the basic concepts of another language in the first grade, and then switch instructors. For nine weeks, they will study social sciences in English and math in Spanish, and then vice versa.

The objective of the school is not to create an institution for the immigrant community but aims to teach in both languages to classes equally divided between English and Spanish-native speakers.

Hispanics make up nearly eight percent of students enrolled in the state’s public schools this year, according to a report released last week by the National Council of La Raza, the largest U.S.-based Hispanic advocacy group.

The first dual language education program in the United States was started in 1962 in Coral Way, Fla., according to the Unidos petition.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

gtikid
11-15-2005, 02:46 PM
:goodjob: That's cool as hell man. But teaching math in spanish? That's gonna be weird. But o well. It's cool. So kids are gonna be speaking spanish and english now huh? :goodjob:

Brett
11-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Yet another damn reason we have a bunch of people running around the country every day who dont speak a word of english and yet expect us to learn spainish and speak it for them :rolleyes:

thinkfast®
11-15-2005, 03:25 PM
damn straight. its called majority rules :king:

gtikid
11-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Yet another damn reason we have a bunch of people running around the country every day who dont speak a word of english and yet expect us to learn spainish and speak it for them :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha that's so true. Or you can look at it like: A lot of businesses now want spanish speaking people to work for them. So this is just "paving the road." :D;) But when it comes down to it, your right :lmfao:

PIprez
11-15-2005, 06:36 PM
"Students will learn the basic concepts of another language in the first grade, and then switch instructors. For nine weeks, they will study social sciences in English and math in Spanish, and then vice versa."

so for nine weeks my daughter will have to sit there and not understand any of the lessons. then the spanish kids will sit and not understand any of the lessons. how does that help? since when does "nearly eight percent" warrant teaching the class in two languages?

now don't get me wrong, i think its good to speak another language. i can speak a good bit of spanish and would like to learn more, but the focus should be on learing the subject. they should learn math in math class, not spanish in math class. if it's needed then teach a subject in spanish for the spanish, but with eight percent wouldn't it be easier to teach the spanish kids english?

YokotaS13
11-15-2005, 06:44 PM
fuck that, you come to america, you speak english

thinkfast®
11-15-2005, 07:08 PM
the only thing they need to know how to translate: pesos=dollars

RandomGuy
11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
the only thing they need to know how to translate: pesos=dollars
how about the other way around

Rican219
11-16-2005, 01:58 PM
"Students will learn the basic concepts of another language in the first grade, and then switch instructors. For nine weeks, they will study social sciences in English and math in Spanish, and then vice versa."

so for nine weeks my daughter will have to sit there and not understand any of the lessons. then the spanish kids will sit and not understand any of the lessons. how does that help? since when does "nearly eight percent" warrant teaching the class in two languages?

now don't get me wrong, i think its good to speak another language. i can speak a good bit of spanish and would like to learn more, but the focus should be on learing the subject. they should learn math in math class, not spanish in math class. if it's needed then teach a subject in spanish for the spanish, but with eight percent wouldn't it be easier to teach the spanish kids english?
She and you will have to know two languages so when the hispanic dude knocks her up you can communicate with the family in the SHot Gun wedding :2up: :lmfao:

gtikid
11-16-2005, 02:18 PM
:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: "Soy padre!! Y el gringo no entiende nada de que le dije. Su hija no la quiero y solamente es un puta! Child Support? Yo no soy legal!" :D

Rican219
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
:eek: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

thinkfast®
11-16-2005, 02:53 PM
lol oh shit

PIprez
11-16-2005, 07:47 PM
yeah very funny jackass.

Julio
11-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I bet this wont last!!! the English Speaking peeps will stand in front of the school with billboards screaming stupid shit...

hahah

thinkfast®
11-16-2005, 08:42 PM
they have too many consulates over here for the protesters to do anything. I mean it was a unanimous vote man!

Fuck it, I think it's a great idea. We (Latinos) aren't going anywhere. They are here whether you like it or not, and there is nothing you can do about it.

What are white people gonna do, keep moving north? LOL

Rican219
11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
yeah very funny jackass.
LOL you love me bro