PDA

View Full Version : Tools for Timing Belt exchange

Elrichthain
11-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm wondering what kind of tools I need to change out my Timing Belt/Tensioner/Water Pump. I had a buddy who said he'd help me, but I think he backed out and I can't get in touch with him. It'll take me a while, but I'm sure I can do it myself with patience. I just don't want to start the job and realize I'm missing a lot. So, I have an 01 Honda Civic LX and the parts, what all should be needed in the replacement, other than a jack, tire removal stuff, torque wrench. Any other special tools I should rent from Auto Zone, or special lubes or anything?

If you feel like offering advice on timeliness steps or anything, too, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Chris

Jon00
11-15-2005, 10:37 AM
dont want to sound like a ass but if u dont know what tools u need i wouldnt do your timing belt. if u do just make sure your timing is right.

the only tool i know u need to rent is a jaw puller (sp?) to get the crank pully off

Elrichthain
11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
It just means I've never done a timing belt replacement. I know it's an exact job, I know what's at stake. However, spending $140 on all the parts I need I found out that the labor would be $250+. That's simply not worth it to me. I'm not new to car repair, I'm just not a mechanic. When I do things to my car it takes me a long time, but I go into it knowing what to do. Nobody goes into their first time replacing a timing belt KNOWING the most effective way of doing it. That being said, this is me asking for what could help me be more effective or generally efficient with my time, before I attempt do do it with the little I already know.

EmminoDaGreat
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
you need an impact gun for first...or that crank pulley is gonna be a bitch.. various metric tools... a friend.... a jack... some screwdrivers.... thats all i can think of now

EmminoDaGreat
11-17-2005, 10:37 AM
oh and get all the slack to the back of the belt.... and have someone hook the tensioner( be careful) with a stiff long piece of metal with a hook bent on the end ( like a coat hanger) hold it tight and tighten it up... thats what i did.... mines worked so far for 7k lol

HiPSI
11-17-2005, 10:40 AM
buy a service manual and follow the instructions... service manuals are your friend, learn to use them if you can't figure it out on your own and you'll be a much happier person than using the guesses of many on a message forum ;)

IntegraXTR
11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
buy a service manual and follow the instructions... service manuals are your friend, learn to use them if you can't figure it out on your own and you'll be a much happier person than using the guesses of many on a message forum ;)

yup the best way to go, like the helms manual, even comes with pictures to show you whats what.

Elrichthain
11-17-2005, 03:39 PM
:-) Thanks. I have Haynes. It's been useful so far, but the pictures are bitches. That's what I'm largely going to go by, but it's nice to have insight from what people in the past have done. Thanks, though, guys.

punkr6
11-28-2005, 02:08 PM
if youve never done this before witch you havent,this the best advice you can get

CiVeK9
12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
i did mine on a 99 civic ex..with basic knowdledge and a help from a firnd going through tech school..just have your haynes...study your stuff..know your car and engine..might as well change lal your belts..new valve cover gasket, pcv valve, those rubber things for each of the spark plugs..forgot what they are called..spark plugs..distributer cap...dman everything..impact gun is very helpfull....also if you have any airtools..your pretty much set..just make sure before you take hte timing belt off..make sure it is on TDC..so then when you put your new belts on your set to go andf you dont have to make sure the timing is correct