PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods All-motor LS/B20VTEC w/Darton Sleeves...i just have a question

teh_mugen18
11-01-2010, 12:22 PM
My question about this possible engine being built mainly involves what would be the possible limits of what this engine could handle... I know that the way you build these hybrid engines ultimately determines how far they can be pushed. For instance, the ARP hardware, mainly stock build can generally handle about 8,000rpms safely, whereas the all-stock hardware build can handle only what the stock rev-limit of the LS/B20 is, safely...

I was wondering about building one of these engines with Darton sleeves, Eagle rods, and CP high compression pistons and all ACL bearings and ARP hardware throughout it, and doing a full balance and blueprint on the engine. What could be the possible ''safe'' redline, and/or ''safe'' amount of nitrous tuning that could be run on it?

I thought about how far i want to push the engine, and my guess is that a redline of ~9,000rpms and about a 100shot of nitrous would be okay to run on this fully built setup... But im not sure. My question is, once again, how far would i be able to probably push this motor and not have it all explode in my face...?

all-mota
11-01-2010, 05:29 PM
it depends on your goals you need to chose your goals and then decide what parts to buy not the other way around. the amount of nitrous depends on compression and tuning experience and the redline depends on where your cams stop making power, it's pointless to turn a engine 11k when it stopped making power at 9300.

and a blueprint just means you have all the clearances of you engine on paper so it doesn't mean crap just have it balanced and be done with it.

dannysun
11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
just make sure you get it tuned

BABY J
11-02-2010, 05:45 AM
I would steer clear of the Darton sleeves unless you have gotten a KILLER deal on them. Also - blueprinting is not garbage - especially if you quest for more power - and also a great ALL-MOTOR tuner can use that data if you ever want to re-build or shoot for more power later. It's always good info to know if you roll a bearing or something and decide to re-ring the motor w/ a different builder. I have a "birth-certificate" on all of my builds.

Since this is the all-motor forum I wouldn't sleeve the motor unless you're adding a power-adder later or just want more displacement. In that case yes I want my displacement from the bore instead of the stroke - some people disagree though.

teh_mugen18
11-02-2010, 11:23 AM
True, about the bore thing.... @BABYJ, Why would you personally steer clear of the Darton sleeve, what could be wrong with them??

And also true, about the cams and where they make power. I personally just want the motor to make around 200 - 220 whp and then ontop of that, is where i would like to add the shot of nitrous. I already have a proven spec of someone who built a motor, dyno'd it, and it was proven to make over 200whp @ about 9,000rpms. They did it on a stock sleeve, which is good power, but i do wonder about how much further i could push the engine if it had a sleeved block as well.

all-mota
11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
don't get me wrong blueprinting is a good thing but most people that build their own engines know the clearances. i thought this was the case here

BABY J
11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
True, about the bore thing.... @BABYJ, Why would you personally steer clear of the Darton sleeve, what could be wrong with them??
And also true, about the cams and where they make power. I personally just want the motor to make around 200 - 220 whp and then ontop of that, is where i would like to add the shot of nitrous. I already have a proven spec of someone who built a motor, dyno'd it, and it was proven to make over 200whp @ about 9,000rpms. They did it on a stock sleeve, which is good power, but i do wonder about how much further i could push the engine if it had a sleeved block as well.

I won't bash Darton - but a quick google search should tell you the issues w/ those sleeves sinking. MORE THAN MOST other companies due to the design. If you want a big shot on that OEM sleeve that would def not be a great idea as the side-load during the torque-surge would put you on borrowed time. Darton claims that their sinking sleeves are an install issue - but WELL KNOWN builders and machine shops will site a design flaw as well. Something to consider.