PDA

View Full Version : e38: good deal or let it pass

slimm
10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
ok, so ive had plenty of opportunities to buy an e38 but i keep letting them pass just b/c of the type of person i am. i like to do my own work. it makes my car MY CAR. so i came across this 97 e38. it looks great inside and out. she has a few mishaps cosmeticly but nothing major. the guy is selling it for $1500. here comes the kicker. i got the car running while i was there. as i listened to the idle, it sounds like a misfire. then i see white smoke, so i check the oil; blown head gasket. is it woth the investment to get this one? how much hell am i gonna catch changing these head gaskets? ive heard working on these is like working on chevy. hell, it looks like an ls motor from the top. anyhoo, everything else w/ the car is PERFECT. i did a massive walk through of the vehicle while i was there. i was inpecting for close to 3 hours. the head gasket is the only problem. the oil is light brown. what do you think? thanx for your input.

h22 jones
11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I dont know much about these but i picked up a 93 325i whits foor door from a good friend of mine . The same thing happened to him he blew a head gasket well instead of replacing head gasket because the motor had so many miles on it he oredered a 50,000 mile motor . He took it to the shop had the new motor installed come to find out motor looked the same but the new one has vanus and the old one didnt kinda like having vtec and not havning vtec . Anyway its a very nice car back yard shop didnt know what to do with the vanus selynoid so they told my friend to come get the car and pay 800 dollars well after that much aggravation (because he paid 1,500 for the new motor ) he traded the car to me for a running car lol. Im telling you all this because im a honda person and this is a very nice car that i wish somebody that wanted a bmw would buy and make a nice car . It also has special 17 inch bmw wheels that he paid a tone for along time ago not sure what there worth now. I was going to part car out but if somebody gave me 1,000 dollars they can have new motor is installed it would crank up but cut right back off i no nothing about bmws but this is a realy nice car with a 50,000 mile motor if you dont want give me a idea of what i should do just hate to see this thing go to waste.

slimm
11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
i just bought a 740il last week so i cant do anything with it. i would suggest you put it on bimmer forums and sell or part it out. i would love a new toy (and that would be perfect) but my wife is prego and due in march. i prolly wont buy another toy till next summer. itll prolly be a honda (ima honda guy too. pretty much perfected hondas so on to something new). send me some pix and ill ask a buddy of mine if he's interested.

EFNIKON-BOI
11-10-2012, 09:46 PM
@slimm mines doing fine plus u can go VIP so all in all its up to you. I sold my ef to help me out wit some extra stuff

Beth641
10-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I dont know much about these but i picked up a 93 325i whits foor door from a good friend of mine . The same thing happened to him he blew a head gasket well instead of replacing head gasket because the motor had so many miles on it he oredered a 50,000 mile motor . He took it to the shop had the new motor installed come to find out motor looked the same but the new one has vanus and the old one didnt kinda like having vtec and not havning vtec . Anyway its a very nice car back yard shop didnt know what to do with the vanus selynoid so they told my friend to come get the car and pay 800 dollars well after that much aggravation (because he paid 1,500 for the new motor ) he traded the car to me for a running car lol. Im telling you all this because im a honda person and this is a very nice car that i wish somebody that wanted a bmw would buy and make a nice car . It also has special 17 inch bmw wheels that he paid a tone for along time ago not sure what there worth now. I was going to part car out but if somebody gave me 1,000 dollars they can have new motor is installed it would crank up but cut right back off i no nothing about bmws but this is a realy nice car with a 50,000 mile motor if you dont want give me a idea of what i should do just hate to see this thing go to waste.

nice toy dear.. :)