PDA

View Full Version : General Chat need help on HIt and Run situation.

Dj Varitek
04-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Okay.. make a long story short.. I learned my lesson.. never brake check a tailgating redneck in a truck... cause he'll run you off the road... anyway's.. I just want to move on from this nightmare.. here's the situation.. This dood was on my ass.. I mean.. less than a 1/2 car length behind me.. I'm one lane over on right from the far left lane doing 65ish .. when all of a sudden I see GRILL and big FORD symbol.. the left lane was open.. I ease off gas.. FORD gets bigger.. left lane still open.. so,... I brake checked him.. at which point.. I get over to far left lane.. He gets pissed and pulls up next to my right.. rolls down window.. starts SCREAMING for me to get out so he could kick my ass.. I try and ignore him and stay steady.. He keeps edging over and closer.. I think he actually hit my side mirror with his fist.. I guess I should've gunned it.. but we were in mild traffic.. Next thing I know.. he swerves RIGHT INTO me.. smashing my pass. side fender and almost spins me out.. then........... he takes off..
.......... my jaw drops.. I didn't have time to think.. I gunned it .. chased him for probably 15 miles while I was freaking out on the phone with the 911 guy.. in retrospect.. it was dumb for me to chase him.. but I knew I had to get the tag/make of the vhec. .. little did I know.. that would be no help.. So,.... 911 guys tells me to calm down and stop chasing .. and pull over blahbalbhbalh..

Now.. this is the end result of my brake check..
call ins. co. (progressive.. yeah,, I know.. now.. =P ) They said I had 2 options.. pay my $500 dec. or wait till they get a accident report to see what info they could get on other party.. week later.. they get the report.. it lists NO NAME, ADDY, or INS. Carrier for that tag... I find that hard to be live.... the officer that filed my report had the addy pulled up before he even walked up to my car.. but how can I get a hold of that information and report it back to my ins. co???? Also,.. a detective left a mssg. on my phone about the case.. called him back everyday for the last 2 weeks.. no return call.. so now,.. unless I can find out s'thing about the other driver.. I'm gonna get stuck with higher rates and @#%&^@%&@ i'm so fustrated.. and lost... someone plz help....... =[

Kermit
04-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Was the claim that you filed with progressive a comp. claim or a collision claim? If they filed it under your comprehensive coverage, your premium will not go up, but you will still have to pay your detuctible. If they did file it as a collision, you need to call them and have them withdraw the claim and re-file it as a comp claim.

speedminded
04-01-2005, 07:15 AM
at which point.. I get over to far left lane..That's where you messed up...never go in the far left lane unless you're traveling faster than everyone else. If someone is one your ass then move to right.

Never freak out, there is no need in it...the damage is done, you can't change that...yeah it's rush to be chasing someone but the best thing is to remain calm and a safe distance behind the suspect simply reporting where you are and all your turns. As for the detective, keep calling or talk to somone at the front asking them when he will be in or what his schedule is. It's a relatively petty crime, nodody was injured, etc...so it's a case that's gone to the bottom of the list (or the next page).

Your insurance rates should not change at all, this claim should be covered under comprehensive damage and if they try to raise your rates then tell Progressive they will be hearing from your attorney soon, just to hear what their response is.

It's a public forum, post their license plate on here..you never know, someone may run into the same problem and the more you have recorded the better it is for everyone. I have a thread somewhere regarding my hit & run a couple weeks ago, just search through the threads I've started.

Dj Varitek
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
That's where you messed up...never go in the far left lane unless you're traveling faster than everyone else. If someone is one your ass then move to right.

NO NO NO.. if peeps ever pass me on my right while i'm in the left lane, i'll get over.. but that's what i'm saying.. the left lane was open but the guy decided to tail me anyways ..

So,.. for some reason they filed it under collision.. and unfortunatly.. i don't have the car rental coverage.. how long does it take to repair a med front/side damage you think? Anyways,..the guy that hit me was in a white Ford Ranger or f-150 superduty.. tag # is 5754 ASZ .. what is says in the police report anyways.. i didn't think that was right... but then again.. i was freaking out at the time.. bah.. =/

Thanks for the help guys.. and for the person who finds this guy for me.. i'll hook it up with a guestlist spot at Paul Van Dyk @ 1150..

quickdodgeŽ
04-04-2005, 05:04 PM
That's where you messed up...never go in the far left lane unless you're traveling faster than everyone else. If someone is one your ass then move to right.

Actually, that's not where he messed up. You'd be an idiot to sit and decide which lane to get into. If you know there is an open lane on either side, then take it. When someone is running up on you like that, just do what you can to safely get out of the way. You did the right thing, dude. On that note. Later, QD.

speedminded
04-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Actually, that's not where he messed up. You'd be an idiot to sit and decide which lane to get into. If you know there is an open lane on either side, then take it. When someone is running up on you like that, just do what you can to safely get out of the way. You did the right thing, dude. On that note. Later, QD.So if someone is riding on your ass you think you should move to the left? There is nothing to decide or even any thought process involved, unless you are passing someone there is no reason to ever move over left.

He said, "I'm one lane over on right from the far left lane doing 65ish" ...doesn't say how many lanes but I am guessing at least 4 from the way he worded it. Anyways, any road that size is going to have a speedlimit of 55-65 and no one traveling the speedlimit [or even just above] should ever be in the left lanes. I will bet you if he was only going 65 then there was no way he was passing people either so that means he should have been at least one more lane over towards the right and none of this would have ever happened.

quickdodgeŽ
04-04-2005, 05:38 PM
If I recall correctly, you weren't there. How do you know if he couldn't get over to the right? You don't. If the lane was clear on the left, then yes, move over there long enough for him to get around you and then get back over. I'm not arguing that you should be in the far left(that's actually something you said that made sense). He's trying to get out of some idiot's way. You are still an idiot if you actually think that "there is no reason to ever move over left." Later, QD.

speedminded
04-04-2005, 05:46 PM
You are still an idiot if you actually think that "there is no reason to ever move over left." Later, QD.ok, you're right. If there is a washing machine in your lane and someone on your right then you would go left.

Say there were cars on the right, a whole row of them....he was still only going 65 so I know he was not overtaking them and if not being passed by them on the right then he was probably running the same speed. That's exactly why I wish the signs in Georgia were changed from "Slower Traffic Keep Right" to "Keep Right Except to Pass" like most other states.

quickdodgeŽ
04-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Again, IIRC, it is supposed to be an illegal maneuver to cruise in the far left lane. It is supposed to be for passing only. But, if someone were running my ass and he wouldn't go around me, I'd do what I could to get away from him. He said the lane was clear, so if he was running with the flow of traffic(you say you know that he was not being passed in that lane. I don't know how you know that for sure-I don't think even Google can tell you that) there is NO reason to move left to get him to go on past him. Later, QD.

Hulud
04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
where did this happen dj?

Dj Varitek
04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
on 78, eastbound, right after ST.mtn exit.. chased him till almost 285..

absolude
04-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Now.. this is the end result of my brake check..
call ins. co. (progressive.. yeah,, I know.. now.. =P ) They said I had 2 options.. pay my $500 dec. or wait till they get a accident report to see what info they could get on other party.. week later.. they get the report.. it lists NO NAME, ADDY, or INS. Carrier for that tag... I find that hard to be live.... the officer that filed my report had the addy pulled up before he even walked up to my car.. but how can I get a hold of that information and report it back to my ins. co???? Also,.. a detective left a mssg. on my phone about the case.. called him back everyday for the last 2 weeks.. no return call.. so now,.. unless I can find out s'thing about the other driver.. I'm gonna get stuck with higher rates and @#%&^@%&@ i'm so fustrated.. and lost... someone plz help....... =[

Be cool man, a similar thing happened to me. I was struck by some ass hat in a Ford Truck (last Gen F150) as he tried to cut me off. The damage was less severe than yours, he just took off my front bumper, and it took the police about 4 mos to release the information to me. I was struck in October and was contacted in January with the other driver's info. (Ironically, about 15 mins after I got into the accident that ended my poor Civic's life) There was apparently some law or restriction that prevented the police from giving me his info. I needed to wait until an investigation was done. You are going to have to be patient. They are NOT going to give you that info until they tie up all of the loose ends. It sux, I have been there, but you gotta wait.

Dj Varitek
04-05-2005, 03:53 AM
so just pay up now and get it fixed under my $500 deductable? When they do get some info, will the insurance co. reimburse me?

absolude
04-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Well that much is up to you. Basically, if the car is driveable, and you can stand having that much damage, wait it out, and then you will get the information. Then you can take care of it with the other guy's insurance. (Your rates will not increase.) If you can't stand the damage, then get it taken care of now. (Your rates will increase.) I was able to wait, because the damage was not that bad or noticeable. You, on the other hand......

speedminded
04-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Well that much is up to you. Basically, if the car is driveable, and you can stand having that much damage, wait it out, and then you will get the information. Then you can take care of it with the other guy's insurance. (Your rates will not increase.) If you can't stand the damage, then get it taken care of now. (Your rates will increase.) I was able to wait, because the damage was not that bad or noticeable. You, on the other hand......cutting that line a little too much this time? No matter when he has the work done his rates will not change, the repair work should be covered under comprehensive damage....just as if you hit a deer or any other incident you have no control over as long as you were not found at fault on the police report.

I'm sure Progressive will have to send someone out for an appraisal but with State Farm you can go to any of their "select" body shops (called Service First i believe, there are 1000's of them) and they can do the repair work without giving any prior information to insurance...it's all done online and you don't have to do anything but get the car to the shop and get your keys when it's all done...no need to drive around and get estimates or meet w/ an appraiser.

civic95
04-05-2005, 02:37 PM
I remember another story of some guy in a ford truck bumping one of us in the rear-end going down the highway for no reason. I think it was chuck.

Anyways, I would of either pulled the pit manuever on him or shot his f@%*ing ass.

absolude
04-05-2005, 03:16 PM
In response to you speedminded- His rates might not go up instantly, but anytime you have an accident, regardless of fault, and you take care of it through your own insurance agency, your rates will increase. And accidents will cause more problems in the future, regardless of fault. I have been in three accidents that were not my fault (with police reports to back it up) and went to get a quote with GEICO and almost shat my pants right then. The truth is that these accidents will affect insurance rates.If he can take care of it through the other guys insurance, he will avoid rate increases. Trust me- I have been in three auto accidents in Atlanta, and I have a fairly qualified opinion on how insurance works.

Spyder
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
cutting that line a little too much this time? No matter when he has the work done his rates will not change, the repair work should be covered under comprehensive damage....just as if you hit a deer or any other incident you have no control over as long as you were not found at fault on the police report.

I'm sure Progressive will have to send someone out for an appraisal but with State Farm you can go to any of their "select" body shops (called Service First i believe, there are 1000's of them) and they can do the repair work without giving any prior information to insurance...it's all done online and you don't have to do anything but get the car to the shop and get your keys when it's all done...no need to drive around and get estimates or meet w/ an appraiser.

As i post this i am sitting in a state farm office. if you file a claim under your COMP they CAN NOT raise your insurance. That does not mean when or if you switch compainies that it wont be held against you. I personally would pay the 500 bucks and get the car fixed if it is any signifigant damage. then when/if you switch carriers you have to have your current one send a letter stating that the claim is in subrogation and is not your fault.

There is also the option of fileing it with your company after you explain to them it was basically a hit and run but that you have a tag number of the truck that hit you and you can have them do a tag search. although the police claim to have not found anything i bet your insurance company will once they discover that you just filed a comp claim and they want their money back.

speedminded
04-05-2005, 07:21 PM
....assuming you work for state farm, what's the average discount for a male when they turn 25?

absolude
04-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I am with GA Farm Bureau insurance, and after I had my hit and run, my agent told me that he would not be able to find out the insurance company or any other information based on the tag number. Who knows though, maybe he was just limiting his involvement. But one thing I think we can all agree on is that going through the other guy's insurance agency WILL require a police investigation. They have to confirm the damages to both vehicles before any repairs will be authorized by the opposing insurance firm. Again- the damage to my car was not that severe, but perhaps you might be better of just taking care of it with your own insurance company.

Goinfasterthanu
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
This is why i keep a BIG ASS GUN , for jackasses like this..I would have shot out his tires..See him run then. After he hit you like that you would have everyright if you felt your life was in danger....Then i would get out and stomp his ass, and wait for cops...

Spyder
04-06-2005, 01:31 PM
assuming you work for state farm, what's the average discount for a male when they turn 25?

i dont know what the average is but i can tell you that at the time i had no tickets and my insurance went to about 2/3 of the inital cost .. alot of people told me that it was a 50% discount its more like 33% or was for me. The amount your insurance is modified depends on alot of things. First and formost carrier. driving record , recent accidents , marital status, claim history, yadda yadda..

Summary of above: Expect roughly a 33% reduction in rates.

civic95
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Expect roughly a 33% reduction in rates.

That's about right. Mine went from $150 a month to $115. just shy of 33%

Dj Varitek
04-08-2005, 01:33 AM
As i post this i am sitting in a state farm office. if you file a claim under your COMP they CAN NOT raise your insurance. That does not mean when or if you switch compainies that it wont be held against you. I personally would pay the 500 bucks and get the car fixed if it is any signifigant damage. then when/if you switch carriers you have to have your current one send a letter stating that the claim is in subrogation and is not your fault.

There is also the option of fileing it with your company after you explain to them it was basically a hit and run but that you have a tag number of the truck that hit you and you can have them do a tag search. although the police claim to have not found anything i bet your insurance company will once they discover that you just filed a comp claim and they want their money back.

uh.. yeah.. they said they had to file it under collision.. for comprehensive does not cover 'act of god' .. what they're saying this is..

Spyder
04-08-2005, 01:48 PM
How far up in managment have you gone? I would ask higher and higher up or just ask for a corporate complaint line.

I have seen a "Jesus is my co-pilot" but never a God is driving bumper sticker..

God didnt drive that truck into you, i would be hostile with my insurance company and not stop until i got what i deserved... ask around for a low budget lawyer even that would help you alot if they have half a clue.

Kristi
04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
at least you have the information on the hit and run...my sister has been involved in two or three hit and runs (she was never in the car) and has no idea who hit her - so she has to pay out of pocket to get her shit fixed again.

absolude
04-09-2005, 12:51 AM
So is there any news DJ? We are want to get up in ur biz, lol... Give us an update!

Dj Varitek
04-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Somone actually helped me out greatly by locating a name and address of the other driver for me.. i have forwarded the information to my ins. co. but don't feel like they are trying their best to help ME out.. but DAMN are they stingy with repairs.. they were all acusing me of other dents in my front bumber that they say 'wasn't from the same impact' and refuse to fix those unless i paid them more $$$ ... and i feel like my claim is going thru too many different people.. i've had to explain my situation to about 5 or 6 different people for them to give a shit... =\