PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a imported car from Japan?

OaTmeaL
11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I am looking into buying a JDM Prelude. Does anyone know of a link or any info about somewhere local that I can go through? I have thought about Jarco but not sure if they could bring the whole car since they chop front clips. I am going to call them tomorrow about this. Any ideas?

Can someone tell me why I see RHD cars over here and driving but this says you can't....

Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed.

i4_garage
11-14-2005, 09:00 PM
they are driving around but PO PO dont; care...well atleast Po Po down south.....and they ride aroudn with a dealers' tag...lol

EmminoDaGreat
11-14-2005, 09:04 PM
why not just buy your jdm h22a.. and put it in that thing... it would be 20x faster fo sure

speedminded
11-14-2005, 09:58 PM
What the hell do you think you're gonna do with it? EPA and DOT's gonna be all over your ass then you're gonna spend a shitload of money and have nothing to show for it when they crush it.

YokotaS13
11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
r you can go the tried and triued way
Take another prelude, take the vin put it on your JDM prelude nad register it

speedminded
11-14-2005, 11:44 PM
r you can go the tried and triued way
Take another prelude, take the vin put it on your JDM prelude nad register itThat's the easiest way...bring it in as a parts car or for competion/show use only but it's still illegal.

OPM Autosports has one i'm sure you could buy for the right price.

IntegraXTR
11-15-2005, 11:46 AM
just buy one from NADAUTO off jimmy carter

sebastianHoff
11-15-2005, 09:08 PM
just buy one from NADAUTO off jimmy carter
my thoughts exactly. we'll just look the other way while you swap the plates.

EJ25RUN
11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
nad sold all of their preludes for now.

the importing game really depends on now much you want to spend.

another trick is to get in through canada. dont remember all the details but

go to http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/ and check where most of the cars

are going.

i know they are not staying there.

also http://www.monkys.jp/e/

EJ25RUN
11-17-2005, 06:20 AM
my dream imports
EF8
http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/img/1990EF8CRXSIR_01_01.jpg
http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/img/1990EF8CRXSIR_04_02.jpg
S13 this one has a ca18
http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/img/600DSC04492.jpg

http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/img/200DSC04483.jpg

imbosile
11-17-2005, 06:46 AM
just go to japan and get it.....

4dmin
11-17-2005, 10:11 AM
dude call CCR www.coolcatracing.com speak w/ Tripper he can get you what you want - tell him i sent ya

Type-R
11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
I am looking into buying a JDM Prelude. Does anyone know of a link or any info about somewhere local that I can go through? I have thought about Jarco but not sure if they could bring the whole car since they chop front clips. I am going to call them tomorrow about this. Any ideas?

Can someone tell me why I see RHD cars over here and driving but this says you can't....

Vehicles that have been determined eligible for importation are assigned a vehicle eligibility number. All eligibility numbers are for left-hand drive motor vehicles except where right-hand drive (RHD) is identified after the model. While there is no specific restriction on importing a right-hand drive vehicle, these may not be imported under eligibility decisions based on the existence of substantially similar U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicles. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, we will consider the vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises us that the right-hand drive vehicle would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in dynamic crash tests. Absent such a showing, the RI would have to demonstrate (through a petition) that the vehicle, when modified, would comply with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, including those for which dynamic crash testing is prescribed.

A RI would have to petition for your vehicle to be imported legally. You'll need a RI and ICI, the ICI is for EPA purposes. Since the RHD variant of the Prelude isn't listed on the compliant list, you'll have to provide crash test data to prove that "When modified to standards" the RHD model meet all saftey standards and data as the USDM model.
General shipping from Japan to U.S. can cost roughly $5,000. In order to pass customs, your RI MUST meet the vehicle at the port for pick up. From there the RI has up to 90 days to convert and ensure the vehicle meets all standards. During that time your ICI must also make sure the EPA standards are met. If none of this happens within 90 days the vehicle must be exported or destroyed at owners cost.

Now having said that, I've been contacting ALOT of places/people for the sole purpose of importing my RX-7 to the U.S. and I finally got a hook up.

PM me if you are serious about this, it's still not cheap by any means