PDA

View Full Version : Misc Another Carribean Fruit that needs to be identified

RandomGuy
03-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Sup lol ... Ok this one i bet none of yall can help me wit. Some of my carribean boys told me bout some fruit called a "Ginepa" or a "Ginep" or something... its like a mini-orange... but the size of a grape... or something...Who knows wtf this is? If you can get a picture ud be the bomb shit ... who knows the proper word in english for em also. I DOUBT NE1 KNOWS THOUGH

Jaimecbr900
04-01-2005, 10:00 AM
It is called pronounced Ke-ne-pa.

It is a fruit that is the size of a grape. It has a thin shell that's green. You take that off and inside its a seed that's got these super sweet velvety pulp. Kinda like a mini mango, if you've ever had one of those. It's along the same lines. You just suck on them until you're left with nothing but the big seed.

It grows on a tree in clusters like grapes. They only grow during certain times of the year, and the seeds are dangerous because of the choking hazard to small kids. We used to hate that because our grandparents used to always make us eat them on the "half shell" because they thought we would choke on it if we put the whole thing in our mouth. We probably would have, so I guess I'm glad now. Hated that when I was little though.

ISAtlanta300
04-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Yea, my grandmother used to have a Kenepa tree.....

OH an the "Kenepa" tree is a tree that gets "robbed" a lot... meaning....

it is not strange to see school kids after school in your "kenepa" tree stealing and eating your kenepas..... LOL

RandomGuy
04-02-2005, 01:28 AM
wtf... damn thats crazy ... the dude who i asked gave the same description.. hes like the seed inside is known for choking ppl to death.

1 morething IT WOULD BE AWESOME if sum1 can post a pic. and the proper name for it, so i can get 'em at a store or something.

ISAtlanta300
04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I tried to google some pics, but it is hard to find....

They are called Kenepa..but I have seen them being called "Ginep" too... maybe that is the "english" word for them...

Kevykev
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
^ Word,We call it Ginep "Gin-nip"

Dispite their great taste, they get annoying after a while. It's meat can get stuck all up in your teeth.

RANDOM GUY CHEKC THE LINK OUT:
http://www.czbrats.com/Facts/genips.htm

RandomGuy
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
"Spanish Lime".. . holy shit thanks kev.

Jaimecbr900
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Just FYI, if you look closely at the link Kev put up.....in the background you will see what they look like. There is one right in the middle that is "open". That's what I was trying to describe as having to eat it on the "shell".

BTW, they don't sell them here anywhere. You would have to have someone bring them in from other countries during a visit or something. My sister is in PR right now and I called her to try and get you some, but they're not in season. Also, there are different ways to spell it depending on where you're from. In PR, its spelled Quenepa. Some other places is different (as mentioned above).

Here are some more links:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Sapindaceae/Melicoccus_bijugatus.html

Here's a pretty shitty B/W pic of them, but you get the idea now:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mamoncillo.html#Description

And you thought you were gonna stump us...... :taun:

Kevykev
04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Actually Jaime, they do....you can get some at the DeKalb Farmers Market....last time i had some was about 2 years ago :(

so unless they quit carrying them there, there is a place, not sure of the seasonal availability though.

FrnkPwrs
04-04-2005, 06:12 AM
You can buy Quenepas at the Dekalbd Farmers market? Damn, who wouldve known! There is a platano tree growing in a neighborhood off of Buford Hwy. Well, at least it was last summer. I would pass it every time i went to my friends house.

Jaimecbr900
04-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Actually Jaime, they do....you can get some at the DeKalb Farmers Market....last time i had some was about 2 years ago :(

so unless they quit carrying them there, there is a place, not sure of the seasonal availability though.

I've never been there. Learned something new today. Next time you see them there holla. I'd like to get some.

Kevykev
04-04-2005, 12:31 PM
word, i'll keep that in mind...this thread has got me wantin' some. :D

Jaimecbr900
04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
word, i'll keep that in mind...this thread has got me wantin' some. :D

Me too. I called my sister and asked her, "Are you sure there aint none right now????". I know there aint. Doesn't hurt to ask though, huh? :cool:

Kevykev
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
my sister said they are in season during the summer

MasterMadman
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
they are so good. I wonder if they sell them here somewhere?

Some kids gave me one while I was in the bahamas.

dappsta
04-11-2005, 10:18 PM
It is called pronounced Ke-ne-pa.

It is a fruit that is the size of a grape. It has a thin shell that's green. You take that off and inside its a seed that's got these super sweet velvety pulp. Kinda like a mini mango, if you've ever had one of those. It's along the same lines. You just suck on them until you're left with nothing but the big seed.

It grows on a tree in clusters like grapes. They only grow during certain times of the year, and the seeds are dangerous because of the choking hazard to small kids. We used to hate that because our grandparents used to always make us eat them on the "half shell" because they thought we would choke on it if we put the whole thing in our mouth. We probably would have, so I guess I'm glad now. Hated that when I was little though.
in Barbados we call that Ackee :cool: ... Guinep for us is like a tangarene... every caribbean island has different words for different fruits

Cliff
04-11-2005, 10:56 PM
so they are kinda like muscadines and scupernongs?

AtifSajid
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
wtf?^^

there arent any around yet? Im gonna have to hit that dekalb farmers market..gotta try these.

Cliff
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
ya'll've never had scupernongs and muscadines....man get out more atif....you can get muscadine jelly anywhere and they are the same thing..look like big grapes but have big seeds in the middle so you just gotta eat the meat around the seed...really sweet too....

muscadine
http://www.aaronscanna-amaryllis.com/muscadine/images/27.jpg
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/images/muscadine-grape.jpg

Cliff
04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
sccupernong
http://www.blackwatervineyards.com/Images/grapes_home.jpg

there's also muscadine and sccupernong juice and wine's and like i said jelly....it's the greatest stuff ever

milly
10-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Sup lol ... Ok this one i bet none of yall can help me wit. Some of my carribean boys told me bout some fruit called a "Ginepa" or a "Ginep" or something... its like a mini-orange... but the size of a grape... or something...Who knows wtf this is? If you can get a picture ud be the bomb shit ... who knows the proper word in english for em also. I DOUBT NE1 KNOWS THOUGH
if you look up the word mamoncillo it will show you a picture of what it looks like in puerto rico it is called kenepa that is why you have a hard time looking it up it grows in key west florida mamoncillo is what you need to look up

RandomGuy
10-05-2005, 10:26 PM
u do realize that this thread is like 6 months old right.

Julio
10-06-2005, 05:58 PM
mamoncillo is the what we call it in Dominican republic..

They are good when ready to eat... But nasty ass fuck when not.

good stuff though.

Kevykev
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Up TOP!

Per Hassan!

Big Baller
09-25-2007, 12:46 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH BOB MARLEY BLAH BLAH BLAH

Kevykev
09-25-2007, 12:47 PM
^ hahahah you Whore Lover!

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
http://www.czbrats.com/Photos/ginips.jpg

they sell these at super h mart :)

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
we eat those in laos...super yummyyyyyyyyyy!

Jaimecbr900
09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.czbrats.com/Photos/ginips.jpg

they sell these at super h mart :)

Where is that at?

Nitro
09-25-2007, 01:59 PM
damn i remember almost choking myself to death on 1 of dem shits in Trinidad but some good shit tho.......used to eat em till my stomach hurt :lmfao:

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/jeschultz/Thailand%20-%20Day%205/pictures/picture-13.jpg

these are good too :) yummmyyyyyyyyy

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Where is that at?

super h mart? is on pleasant hill across from wal mart.

SLOWLYbtngU
09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Where is that at?
Off of Pleasant hill. If you are coming from 85 You should go towards the Race Trac that Julio works at and the plaza is right behind it.

They also have them at the farmers market in Doraville.

SLOWLYbtngU
09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
hee hee...U beat me!

Dr.G
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Anyone familiar with these? One of the best tasting fruit in the world :goodjob:

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Anyone familiar with these? One of the best tasting fruit in the world :goodjob:

Mangosteens.
Popular in Southeast Asian mainly Laos and Thailand.
Bomb ass fruits!

Jaimecbr900
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Word, thank you. I remember that now.

Ima tell Julio to walk over on his lunch hour or something to find out if they got some.....:D ;)

Dr.G
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Mangosteens.
Popular in Southeast Asian mainly Laos and Thailand.
Bomb ass fruits!

:yes: :yes:

itsjustdee
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Word, thank you. I remember that now.

Ima tell Julio to walk over on his lunch hour or something to find out if they got some.....:D ;)

No problem. Now you owe me a free photoshoot with my baby when she's born :D

Killer
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
muscadines rock... especially the wine..

Jaimecbr900
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
No problem. Now you owe me a free photoshoot with my baby when she's born :D

:goodjob:

muscadines rock...

Yes they do. I had some wild ones at the golf course the other day. Some of the best I've had by far. It sucks that those off the side of a fairway in the woods were better than the ones you buy at the grocery store.

Killer
09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
:goodjob:

Yes they do. I had some wild ones at the golf course the other day. Some of the best I've had by far. It sucks that those off the side of a fairway in the woods were better than the ones you buy at the grocery store.

yeah, i worked on a "farm" (really just a big plot of land with a barn on it) that had them growing everywhere... heaven...