PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods HELP!!!! CAM GEAR JUMPING A TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cory96EK
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
ok so basiclly i got a PMR=b16 head w/ b18c block an type r internals. I got it some what built an when we set the timeing an we turn the motor over with a wrench after about a turn an a half the intake side cam will jump a tooth on the timing belt. its the gsr timing belt and nothing in the motor is locking up because without the belt on everything spins freely. also if we rotate the motor in the opposite direction it does the same thing on the exhaust side cam...............PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPOOLIN
10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
look and see if the tensioner moves , see if its in a different position from when you initially tightened it. My timing belt came loose on my race car 3 times during dyno tuning, come to find out my new block has a shitty hole for the timing tensioner bolt that let it tighten down on the tensioner but not enough to keep it in position under a load. To fix i had to add 2 washers to the tensioner bolt to keep the threads from bottoming out.

Cory96EK
10-20-2010, 05:10 AM
i preciate dat i cheacked the tensioner an its tight as hell and the belt stays tight to the whole time

Black4DrEK
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Hmm... Cant be much more than.. The belt beeing a lil loose.. Or the tensioner not doing its job..

What exact internals are you using? what pistons and cams?

Cory96EK
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
idk it doesnt seem like the belt loose AT ALL. cams r crower stage 3 an pistons r ctr

Black4DrEK
10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow!..

You sure your not having some Clearance issues?

Did you "clay" the motor..

I just hade basically the same setup, and the clearance is VERY LITTLE!

Cory96EK
10-20-2010, 03:52 PM
idk i dont think so but im not the expert...... an no i did not clay the motor. yea i kno it has little clearance.

Cory96EK
10-31-2010, 11:16 AM
i found out wut it wuz the dumb ass mechanic never adjusted the valves when he got it back from the machine shop so they were so far down they were hittin the pistons

Cory96EK
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
FUCK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK SO I FIXED THAT (oh an the valves were fine they werent bent or anything) BUT I RAN IT FOR TWO DAYS AN THE FUCKER JUMPED A TOOTH AGAIN. I think its this damn ebay timing belt i got ima try a gates an see where that gets me. an also the plugs seem to be fialing out???? any suggestions???? cuz my car sounds like a subaru

SX-MAN
11-09-2010, 06:01 AM
dont get a gates either....honda OEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might sound stupid but check the 02 sensore as well....and there could be a problem in the dizzy thats y it sounds like a STI

AnthonyF
11-09-2010, 06:48 AM
FUCK ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK SO I FIXED THAT (oh an the valves were fine they werent bent or anything) BUT I RAN IT FOR TWO DAYS AN THE FUCKER JUMPED A TOOTH AGAIN. I think its this damn ebay timing belt i got ima try a gates an see where that gets me. an also the plugs seem to be fialing out???? any suggestions???? cuz my car sounds like a subaru

So you spent all this money on an engine, internals, checking the head, etc.... and you run an ebay timing belt? Seriously?

Gates are great belts, don't let people fool you. That's all I ran on my supercharged mustang. Going OEM is the best way b/c you won't have to question the belt or how many teeth it has.

-Ant.

h22 jones
11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
i thought gates made honda belts so a gates would be no different them a stock belt ?

SPOOLIN
11-09-2010, 10:33 PM
theres nothing wrong with gates, Goodyear gator backs are also very good belts. Hell Ive used a damn DRIVE RIGHT on Rocket motor sports springs and retainers with no issues and those are some STIFF bitches.