PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Do You Think *JDM Style* Is A New Level Of Rice (RICER)

JDM_HmongBoy
10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Just want to know what you guys think about it?

nreggie454
10-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Yes. These morons spend big money on parts that look slightly different than those on USDM cars. However, since everybody has been doing it for the past 5 years, JDM is what everybody else is doing, so their cars all look the same now.

What is really funny is that there is a USDM following in Japan, so IMO having USDM parts is more JDM than JDM.

Bacon
10-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Hasn't this conversation already taken place?

thesammy
10-15-2010, 03:31 PM
If it looks like rice, there's no doubting it is.

oneSLOWex
10-15-2010, 03:38 PM
The term JDM is thrown around way too much. Retarded ass people call everything JDM now thats "clean" or simple looking.

Hasn't this conversation already taken place?

Yes, about 1000 times or more just on this forum.

RUFFIAN
10-15-2010, 04:00 PM
I think "rice" is more about doing absurd things to a vehicle. the thing I hate is is someone dares to drive something a little different or don't roll one of the 5 sets of wheels that everyone else has, they are deemed rice. oh and heaven forbid you leave your OEM wing on your car (STI, SRT4 and EVO guys) GTFO........................................

Black4DrEK
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
:blah:

:screwy:

:goodjob:

SUBY_RUE
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Yes, Its the new rice.

Bacon
10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I think it may have something to do with the fact that a lot of people call some parts "JDM" when they are not. That gets me every time. The only things JDM I want on my car are a few things that serve a function like the interior map lights and the fogs. Other than that, its a bunch of useless stuff that does nothing for the car and doesn't increase the value of the car whatsoever.

BTW Suby, love that song in your sig.

whoaitzbrain
10-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Yea it is the new RICE. Which is why i got out of the honda game for so many years. So many people now call everything "JDM" when all it really is knockoff parts they got on ebay/password jdm or some shit like that. (fogs, side blinkers, wings, rota wheels etc) all pure trash if u ask my opinion. Im back in the game but i prefer my shit to look clean and simple like it was meant to be. The only thing i consider true "JDM" is some real deal rhd type shit straight from Japan. Unless u can pull down your window visors and open your owners manual and see everything in Japanese don't call it "JDM"

CodeRED-MVBC
10-16-2010, 08:51 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, Youll are right people.. See the usdm following in Japan is hella funny.. Ha, Dam, defeats the purpose of people rockin the stickers, and on.. All is the same, WOOOO HOOOO, i got ANOTHER gsr, with blades, ANOTHER Honda.. And a lip. My chances of seein another is pretty big. Another honda is what its about from the only 2 years i learnt about me havin that car.. For what common sense is worth, thats my 2 cents..

Peace

1SICKLEX
10-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here but JDM style has been around for years. How is it the new Rice? Most JDM style cars are clean. What is the new Rice is everybody thinking they are VIP and staggered wheels on FWD cars and VIP accents on Civics and other silly mods.

01CDMLUDER
10-20-2010, 10:57 PM
WTF? Really?

I don't think jdm is rice.. I'm gonna get jdm fogs for my prelude and they are totally different from the usdm fogs at the same price.. Also people like to get s2000 and itr steering wheels because they're more sporty and still have the Honda H..

Maybe buying fake shit is rice but I don't think buying better oem parts that were made for your car (or fit) but just arent available in your region is rice

But I might be completely wrong?

Theycall_Metue
10-21-2010, 12:12 AM
im asian and i like to eat rice... is that wrong?

nreggie454
10-21-2010, 12:36 AM
WTF? Really?

I don't think jdm is rice.. I'm gonna get jdm fogs for my prelude and they are totally different from the usdm fogs at the same price..
Yeah, but every other modded Prelude has JDM fogs. They may be totally different and more aggressive than USDM, but they are exactly the same as 99% of modded Preludes. It was cool at first seeing S2000 wheels on Civics, Integras, etc, but "My Humps" was as new and as "cool" at the same time. Now, both are played out as hell.

I consider it wasted money if you buy mods that serve no performance function. WGAF if you have a super rare bumper or JDM ash trays? Your shit is still slow, and definitely not unique.

01CDMLUDER
10-22-2010, 09:02 PM
^They might be played out to people that have been into imports for a while but I still don't think it's rice..a distasteful mod..

My car didn't come with foglights and the I like the jdm ones better.

quickdodgeŽ
10-22-2010, 09:40 PM
WGAF if you have a super rare bumper or JDM ash trays? Your shit is still slow, and definitely not unique.

Damn. You just threw my car right out the window, lolol. Later, QD.

Echonova
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes. These morons spend big money on parts that look slightly different than those on USDM cars. However, since everybody has been doing it for the past 5 years, JDM is what everybody else is doing, so their cars all look the same now.JDM has only been around for 5 years???...

GTFO n00b.:D

nreggie454
10-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Damn. You just threw my car right out the window, lolol. Later, QD.
Well you are an exception since I can only think of three people that even have CVCCs. It isn't like you are one of the 17 million JDM front Integra owners.

And to Echo, I know JDM styling has been around much longer, but it has been ubiquitous for the past 5 years.

quickdodgeŽ
10-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Well you are an exception since I can only think of three people that even have CVCCs. It isn't like you are one of the 17 million JDM front Integra owners.

And to Echo, I know JDM styling has been around much longer, but it has been ubiquitous for the past 5 years.

I know, man, I was just joshing. Being that my car was not only actually made in Japan, it was also made as a RHD vehicle converted to LHD. Much like folks over here convert their Hondas from LHD to RHD. Only mine was done on the assembly line. It still has several factory RHD traits. Later, QD.

AnthonyF
10-23-2010, 08:37 AM
No i don't. I find stupid drift charms rice tastic. I miss the body kit days and when people did what THEY wanted to a vehicle.

-Ant.

Genji-Sama
10-27-2010, 09:45 PM
You my good sir needs to go to youtube.com and type in "the pursuit of function", then watch parts 1-5. It will answer this question forever.

RBS
10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
everything is rice now-a-days.

dc4tuner
11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Im tired of ppl sayin rice-ing is horrible and sayin JDM is the new rice. In my opinion it doesnt matter wat anybody else thinks, it only matters wat u think is nice and wat u want on ur car.

Sinfix_15
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
In the never ending quest for originality, anything popular becomes unpopular. "JDM" usually means clean and factory looking. There's nothing ricer about a clean factory car. If you dont like it, thats fine, but quit throwing around the ricer tag to anything thats trendy.

sti_cham
11-16-2010, 05:00 PM
In the never ending quest for originality, anything popular becomes unpopular. "JDM" usually means clean and factory looking. There's nothing ricer about a clean factory car. If you dont like it, thats fine, but quit throwing around the ricer tag to anything thats trendy.

x2

wanggsticky
11-18-2010, 03:16 PM

x3 people call rice, basically anything. driving fast is ricey, a type r wing is ricey, lowered cars that arent slammed are rice , blah blah lblah.. it goes on forever.
it's being misused. but i do however beleive there are a lot of ricers[the person driving the car], they tend to drive like idiots

DA9_Vito
11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
only ricers nowadays are noobs hahaha

nreggie454
11-19-2010, 12:41 AM
only ricers nowadays are noobs hahaha
Says the 2009 noob.

DA9_Vito
11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Darn i was hoping nobody saw that lol.

CRXdelsol
11-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Let other ppl be happy if they like something o well your not the one driving it!!!!!!!!!!! So if you dont want to be the number 11156667778818 with a honda, ride a freaking scooter and you will be way different!!! Just my opinion!
I DO W.E I WANT TO MY CAR WHY? BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT

DA9_Vito
11-20-2010, 12:36 AM
thank you.....

hybrid90accord
12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Im sure if it was a civic with a k-series swap, carbon fiber hood half done body work /panels and teddy bears hanging from the rear bumpers, everyone would be saying its SO CLEAN or crazy colored wheels it would be so Hot. I mean there cars on here that are just as low but no one complains. Everyone is always saying go lower, and im pretty sure this car is on air suspension. The car is CLEAN and looks like its a complete build not a half ass job or "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" so it gets much props. Some of yall really kill me on IA, cause its most deff crushing any G35 sedan on IA PERIOD

gsrcivic
12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
keep it oem lowered with enough to satisfy urself under the hood...riced out is when u got a mexican puttin the whole walmart auto dress up section onto his mustang and thinks he can run with a s2000

Lusos
12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
In my opinion, the term "JDM" is way too far overused.

Everyone is out there trying to get the most rare part, and for that, I comment those who try. In the case of sport-compact owners, the "most rare" part goes to the extent of ordering said item from Japan.

Sometimes, though, I find the extent of being mad tyte JDM-yo to get a bit excessive. Sure, Bride seats and Takata harness' look BOMB. However, I don't see the cool looking center logo justifying the price tag. Yes, you can claim "JDM" all day but at the end of the day the guy down the street with the 89' Camaro has the same style Impact harness' and Sparco seats for half the cost. Both of which are doing the same job.

It bothers me when I see a craigslist ad claiming to be "JDM s14". No asshole, unless it had a Japanese registration it is NOT a Japanese-Domestic-Market vehicle. Also, it annoys me to no end to have people brag about parts with minute details. Yes, we all know that it looks cool to have a plain Japanese passenger mirror without the warning, but was it really worth paying $70 for the lens and $35 for shipping when that money would have went to something useful like a couple of oil changes or a new tire? Then again, that is why car people like us do what we do. In general, it's not about practicality, it's about style and our individual taste.

JDM_ZC
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
not all are bad

DustnU
12-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here but JDM style has been around for years. How is it the new Rice? Most JDM style cars are clean. What is the new Rice is everybody thinking they are VIP and staggered wheels on FWD cars and VIP accents on Civics and other silly mods.

I'm with you bro!!

K20Z1
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
i don't like stuffed animals hanging out the rear tow hooks lol

Faust
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I wanted to ask this myself for a long time... I was going to the car meets for a bit, and yeah being new in the scene I found out quickly that being "stupid" pretty much gets you ignored... My car isnt a one of a kind find or anything, but since the parts are all Toyota and the body says chevy I think its a bit unique if anything, so I like it... I see and hear alot of tuners talk about "Ricer" I hear that alot, mostly pointing out guys with fake exhaust, or stickers that falsify performance, sometimes I even hear it when a bodykit is added the the ride... Inopperable guages and etc... My question is this, I own a 1.6l 4afe 1995 geo prizm, its pretty much stock save for a full 2.5in exhaust (cheaply made mind you) a 3in muffler (forgot the name of it, I think its Tsuba or something) Option headers (I got the wrong size its for the 1.8L) Megan front upper strut bar (No way to prove it no emblem on the bar, not my fault) 17in Konig Incident wheels, and a Spectre filter (Autozone) with a "J" bend throttle body attachment... Then finally a set of clear Halos, but those I have to fixup flush anyway so thats the gist of it... Like I said its hard to find good stuff for my car so Im still working on it... I havent finished with what I REALLY want to do to it... Here are my plans:
1.) 7AFE 1.8L or better yet 4AGZE/4AGE Black or Silver top
2.) Full Catback exhaust prefferably DC Sports, or a dual megan exhaust, to kill that loud ass noise a bit damn!!!
3.) Full coilover set (Gotta find a good brand first)
4.) Konig Freefall wheels (may do the 16inch for more grip and driving freedom)
5.) Refit my bodykit to flush (Its not originally for my rear bumper so its jimmied on there for now, I know nothing about fabrication so...)
6.) A dark Gunmetal grey paint (or a dark plum, still deciding, dont like flashy sooo)
7.) Turbo and intercooler TRD if at all possible
Now the question is this... Do these plans of mine for my particular car make me a ricer?

Nerdsrock22
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I wanted to ask this myself for a long time... I was going to the car meets for a bit, and yeah being new in the scene I found out quickly that being "stupid" pretty much gets you ignored... My car isnt a one of a kind find or anything, but since the parts are all Toyota and the body says chevy I think its a bit unique if anything, so I like it... I see and hear alot of tuners talk about "Ricer" I hear that alot, mostly pointing out guys with fake exhaust, or stickers that falsify performance, sometimes I even hear it when a bodykit is added the the ride... Inopperable guages and etc... My question is this, I own a 1.6l 4afe 1995 geo prizm, its pretty much stock save for a full 2.5in exhaust (cheaply made mind you) a 3in muffler (forgot the name of it, I think its Tsuba or something) Option headers (I got the wrong size its for the 1.8L) Megan front upper strut bar (No way to prove it no emblem on the bar, not my fault) 17in Konig Incident wheels, and a Spectre filter (Autozone) with a "J" bend throttle body attachment... Then finally a set of clear Halos, but those I have to fixup flush anyway so thats the gist of it... Like I said its hard to find good stuff for my car so Im still working on it... I havent finished with what I REALLY want to do to it... Here are my plans:
1.) 7AFE 1.8L or better yet 4AGZE/4AGE Black or Silver top
2.) Full Catback exhaust prefferably DC Sports, or a dual megan exhaust, to kill that loud ass noise a bit damn!!!
3.) Full coilover set (Gotta find a good brand first)
4.) Konig Freefall wheels (may do the 16inch for more grip and driving freedom)
5.) Refit my bodykit to flush (Its not originally for my rear bumper so its jimmied on there for now, I know nothing about fabrication so...)
6.) A dark Gunmetal grey paint (or a dark plum, still deciding, dont like flashy sooo)
7.) Turbo and intercooler TRD if at all possible
Now the question is this... Do these plans of mine for my particular car make me a ricer?

Just do what you want to dude, it's your car. Do whatever makes you do a double-take when you get out.

By the way, if you think that JDM is "played out", then get off the forums and go walk around in the real life. I go to a lot of shows and meets, photograph a ton of cars, and know a good amount of folks in the scene. I can probably count the number of TRUE Jdm cars that I have seen on two hands, and I would guess that only two of those were seen outside of a car-related event. The same goes for any of the other trends that you think are played out. I have never seen a "stanced car" in my normal everyday life. Ever.

JDM style will never go out of style in the same way that Pro-Touring muscle cars aren't going away. It's just a matter of keeping the car as factory fresh as possible, while supplementing quality parts that enhance the performance of your vehicle. It's a safe, easy route (style wise) but a classic one. As long as there are brand enthusiasts, it's not going away.

MaxJav9669
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Rice is an acronym for Radically Immature Car Enthusiast. In other words don't act like an idiot or make an ass of yourself. just don't talk your car up to being something it's not. Cars arn't ricers, just people...

RsonGt3's
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Rice is an acronym for Radically Immature Car Enthusiast. In other words don't act like an idiot or make an ass of yourself. just don't talk your car up to being something it's not.

LMFAO I can't believe this came out of you Hahah

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MaxJav9669
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
LMFAO I can't believe this came out of you Hahah

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
As if i give a damn what you think,

Faust
01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Just do what you want to dude, it's your car. Do whatever makes you do a double-take when you get out.

By the way, if you think that JDM is "played out", then get off the forums and go walk around in the real life. I go to a lot of shows and meets, photograph a ton of cars, and know a good amount of folks in the scene. I can probably count the number of TRUE Jdm cars that I have seen on two hands, and I would guess that only two of those were seen outside of a car-related event. The same goes for any of the other trends that you think are played out. I have never seen a "stanced car" in my normal everyday life. Ever.

JDM style will never go out of style in the same way that Pro-Touring muscle cars aren't going away. It's just a matter of keeping the car as factory fresh as possible, while supplementing quality parts that enhance the performance of your vehicle. It's a safe, easy route (style wise) but a classic one. As long as there are brand enthusiasts, it's not going away.

Thanx dude, another stupid question: Ive heard and or seen HELLAFLUSH for some cars... What does that entail? Other than the tires

Faust
01-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Rice is an acronym for Radically Immature Car Enthusiast. In other words don't act like an idiot or make an ass of yourself. just don't talk your car up to being something it's not. Cars arn't ricers, just people...

Gotcha thx!

Nerdsrock22
01-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanx dude, another stupid question: Ive heard and or seen HELLAFLUSH for some cars... What does that entail? Other than the tires

It involves lowering your car as low as you can get it and mounting ultra wide, low offset wheels which usually requires stretching tires to get them to fit within the car's wheel wells. Check out Stanceworks (http://www.stanceworks.com/), Canibeat (http://www.canibeat.com/), JustStance (http://www.juststance.com/), and Stancenation (http://www.stancenation.com/) for examples. It looks pretty awesome if pulled off correctly.

Faust
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
It involves lowering your car as low as you can get it and mounting ultra wide, low offset wheels which usually requires stretching tires to get them to fit within the car's wheel wells. Check out Stanceworks (http://www.stanceworks.com/), Canibeat (http://www.canibeat.com/), JustStance (http://www.juststance.com/), and Stancenation (http://www.stancenation.com/) for examples. It looks pretty awesome if pulled off correctly.

Ultra wide... as in deep dish wheels maybe even wheel spacers right?

Nerdsrock22
01-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultra wide... as in deep dish wheels maybe even wheel spacers right?

Either deep-dish or a deep concave face. Many people use wheel spacers as well. It usually requires a combination of fender rolling or pulling as well.

Faust
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Either deep-dish or a deep concave face. Many people use wheel spacers as well. It usually requires a combination of fender rolling or pulling as well.

Yeah no flush for me

Theycall_Metue
01-27-2011, 07:23 AM
everyone calls me a ricer because i like to eat rice while driving