PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard of OnLive?

RandomGuy
10-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Probably the most interesting new IT technology i've heard of in a while.

www.onlive.com

Cloud Computing is getting insane. "Cloud Gaming" is when the entire game is running on their "cloud" which is a bunch of supercomputers hooked together working together. So all of the rendering and processing is done by them, and they just stream to you (in some intelligent way) the frames and sounds...

Soo... what this means is that you can hypothetically run the highest end game smoothly on a shitty old computer or netbook as long as your internet connection can keep up.

I heard about this technology earlier this year and i was like BS, not any time soon at least... but I just checked this out a few nights ago and HOLY SHIT IT WORKS. I used an older laptop with a GMA4500M (supershitty onboard graphics) celeron processor. I ran borderlands and the new unreal tournament flawlessly i couldn't believe it... There was no install or download either, its completely in the cloud....

I'm just still in disbelief, this pretty much means that the future is here. "Gaming" rigs are going to be a thing of the past.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I just wanted to see how well the technology worked and holy shitttt