PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Ls/Vtec Botton End Build Question.

gerardojdm
10-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok well i previous set-up blew before i even go to use it so it's back to step 1.

My previous set-up Mods:
B18B
LS crank
JE/SRP 81.5 10:0:1 Pistons
Eagle Rods
ACL bearing

I though the mods i did would be enough to reinforce the bottom end but just want to do it the right way once and for all. Now my question is would it help if i added a block gridle? What exactly is the purpose of a block gridle? Give me some feedback IA, Thanks

jcs
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
are you meaning a block gaurd?if so it supposidly prevents cylinder walk to be honest though i dont think you need one seeing as stock sleeves can hold a good bit

block girdle is a brace that goes on the bottom of the block. It usually connects the crankshaft mains together so that they are less prone to move about. More crankshaft stability,to me prob for higher revs....if im not mistaken the gsr ect come with them

hope this helps..

Black4DrEK
10-01-2010, 07:43 PM
The Girdle is from a GSR bottom end.

And you already have the block guard in the block rite now.

Bacon
10-02-2010, 01:38 AM
http://www.function-7.com/products/b16grd

/discussion on block girdles.

Also, what went wrong with your previous setup?

gerardojdm
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
The Girdle is from a GSR bottom end.

And you already have the block guard in the block rite now.

Yea i know but im talking about the grindle that hold the crankshaft.

http://www.function-7.com/products/b16grd

/discussion on block girdles.

Also, what went wrong with your previous setup?

pistons ring seized. They werent gap correctly.

Black4DrEK
10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
^ Whos gonna built it this time?

906bolt
10-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Yea i know but im talking about the grindle that hold the crankshaft.

pistons ring seized. They werent gap correctly.

Might want to be sure to file the gap this time. useing a girdle is just a good insurance plan, same reason for carrying a gun.

turbob20
10-19-2010, 12:23 AM
i used morton table salt and and old water pump and poured the salt up to right above water pump level then poured devcon liquid aluminum on top to about a 1/5 inch from the top let dry for a couple days then remove freeze plug in front of block and turn upside down on stand and wash out salt. then turn upright and drill holes lined up with head gasket holes as a template and a few extra wont hurt. i've used this fused cylinder brace as a block guard to connect the cylinders to the block with great success for over 5 years at 18+ psi of boost making 345-450+ hp depending on psi level! this along with forged pistons, rods and dont forget head studs will be good to around 20-25 + psi even with stock head gasket. tried and proven 4 different times already. good luck!