PDA

View Full Version : alternator and ign. problems

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Alright well I've got a Boosted 95 civic ex (d16z6). I just picked about a week ago. Previous owner blew the head gasket and couldn't get it to start. I tightened a ground and started the car:boobies:! But now my battery light is on and idling it's putting out about 16-17 volts so I'm not sure if theres something to look for that would cause it to overcharge besides the internal regulator going out. Also my tach will jump around at times and the car will cut out and falls flat on it's face at 6k and it's pushing 10lbs. Any help is greatly appreciated

94_teg_ls
09-28-2010, 10:54 AM
grounds brother had same issue it was like a fucking brick wall where are you located i have a alternator

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
how much you want for the alt? I live about an hour and fifteen from stockbridge. Man I hate backtracking somebody elses work.

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I went and cleaned the ground that was the initial problem but with the car out of gear it hit's a little over 4k and cuts back like it's hitting a rev limiter.. Maybe I'm just now noticing but the check engine light flashes at the exact same time. Is there something wrong or has it maybe been set up like this? The guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about the car besides it had a turbo on it lol so I have no idea whats in it.

kylekyle420
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
the 16 - 17 volt thing is definitly the alt, ive had that before but the wierd rev limiter/loss of power problem i have no clue about maybe he didnt properly do the turbo set up correctly it could be leaning out maybe?

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I've got an air fuel gauge but I've got to finish wiring it up. I'm finding ALOT of odd wiring like it had an alarm and it was just unplugged and removed. Whenever I finish that I'll post up my findings. should be sometime today

*EFilliated*
09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
The bouncing tach is dizzy

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM
So I guess I need to get a Dizzy and alt before I get any further with this thing. Unless I'm overlooking a ground somewhere.

Cynical 1
09-28-2010, 04:59 PM
try the alt and grounds. had a buddy with a bad ground on an old gsr, and it was a ground issue. would rev limit at 4k.

overcharge is the alt, or a battery not taking the charge... but the alt regultor should knock the voltage down to compensate...

joshk5145
09-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Yea I'm hoping thats what it is. Could anybody give me an idea on important grounds to watch for. I know for sure I've got the one on the back of the head from the thermostat housing, one that goes to the trans, and one up top going to the valve cover. Are there any that aern't obvious or that I'm just not thinking about???
Edit:
My google search has turned up some interesting info..... Supposedly if the oil is low it will bring the rev limiter down and cause the check engine light to come on. from what some of the people are saying it sounds just like my problem, or at least some of it. since I'm new to turbo's here would I need to have a higher volume of oil since it's running through the turbo too?

joshk5145
09-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I just checked out my ecu and it's a p06......... When I did my search it came up with civic dx and non v-tec...... Is this right?

jdmalltheway
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Go ahead and get a p28...and it should make it rev higher, if not mostly likely it will be the dizzy. The over voltage you are getting from the alternator is cause by the faulty regulator. Test your battery before you start it up, could be that your battery is low and making your alternator operating more than it should and that would most likely kill your alternator quicker.

joshk5145
10-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Yea I'm on the look out for a p28. Cracked the p06 open and it was fried. Broken diode and burned through the board. Got tired of screwing with the motor because it just seemed to keep having more and more problems so it's been pulled for a rebuild. thanks for the response though.

ro_roy
10-09-2010, 12:52 AM
u could also be hitting fuel cut because of the extra air from the turbo, if its not installed right thats what it will do, ur ecu is preventing it from blowing up thats why the fuel cut.