PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Out of State resident registering car in GA !!!URGENT!!!

nvrenough
09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
So here's the skinny:

My cousin owns the vehicle that I'm currently driving. He is a NYC resident and the car is registered in NY. I have insurance on the vehicle in GA, but that apparently is not good enough for NY. Unless the car is either insured in NY as well as GA (which would be stupidly expensive) or the car gets registered in GA, I will not have a vehicle... which is not good.

So the question is, can I get a GA registration on the car even though he is a NY resident? Whether it's in my name, or his doesn't matter, but the title, and loan are in his name, and are staying that way.

I'm sure there must be some way to do it, and I would just call the DMV, but it's sunday, and they suck in general anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help.

94_teg_ls
09-26-2010, 12:07 PM
you are not going to be able to register the car here in his name it would have to in yours why not get insurance up there

nvrenough
09-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Because the car is driven here. I live in Atlanta, and God forbid I was to get into an accident here with the car being insured in NY then they could choose not to cover the damage... I'm waiting to hear from him on how much insurance would be for him up there in addition to mine here... he's 31, and has a clean record, so I'd assume that liability for him wouldn't be more than $50/month or so, probably less than that...

Would I be able to get the car registered in my name without the car being titled to me? Or could we both be on the registration? This DMV stuff is crazy... it should be much easier than this me thinks...

Bacon
09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Why not just get the insurance in New York? Doesn't matter what state you are in as long as you have insurance on the car. You can only have one person registered to a vehicle at a time and the title would have to be in your name to get the registration in your name as well.