PDA

View Full Version : k20a2/k20z3 help

99jdmLs
09-21-2010, 08:26 AM
i have has 2 techs and myself look at my car and we are still puzzled so maybe someone on here can help.

on a cold start, my car runs and sounds fine. no problems, idles at 750 without jumping, and everything on kpro is reading ok. after 15 minutes of driving, there will start to be a "vibration* (sounds like the engine is rubbing or hitting the frame) noise underneath the hood of my car. it only happens if it the gas or the is any kind of stress on the engine (starting at around 1500 rpm).

Car:
2003 rsx type s
k20a2 head- rebuilt by shop,
skunk2 stage 1 cams, skunk2 springs and retainers, flat faced valves
head was pressure checked and surface was good, new valve guides
k20z3 block
OEM new chain, new tensioner, new chaine guides. there was 8k on the
block

rbc intake, kid racing header, injen cold air intake, kpro management.
ACT flywheel with exed stage 1 clutch.

there is now 1500 miles on the new build. all parts were brand new whel installed. the reason i did not think of look at it more in depth earlier is bc the engine was slightly touching the subframe bc my mounts were shot and the z3 block has a bigger oil pan(balancer shafts). i just installed the mounts and its off the car and that when i realized that it only does it when its warmed up. the car drives the EXACT same with the noise and without. kpro are giving my basically identical data logs with or withou the sound.

honestly it sounds like the chains slapping or rubbing something likes it loose. ive never heard of a new tensioner going out before but im not goin to say that its not. today im goin to take the tensioner cover off and examine the tensioner to see if its worn out, if not i guess ill pull the crank pully off and TC cover.

any help would be appreciated.

99jdmLs
09-22-2010, 07:22 AM
tensioner was worn out (not even a month old) making it skip one tooth.....nothing was damaged. ordering a new tensioner and thinking about swaping cams.

mugenK20z1
09-22-2010, 11:00 AM
ever looked into getting Hybrid Racing or Skunk2 tensioners?

99jdmLs
09-22-2010, 11:05 AM
ever looked into getting Hybrid Racing or Skunk2 tensioners?

never hybrid but i did look into geting a skunk2. reason i didn't the first time is bc i had never heard of stage 1 cams wearing out a tensioner so quickly if at all. its usually the stage 3s that wear them out.

Z0_o6
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
i would strongly recommend the hybrid-racing tensioner over the Skunk2.

K24cb7coupe
09-25-2010, 05:15 PM
i would strongly recommend the hybrid-racing tensioner over the Skunk2.

whats wrong with the skunk2 unit. its not as expensive and i havent heard any thing about them failing.

99jdmLs
09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
well, on top of the tensioner, the skunk2 cam gear ate the dust also. . the dowl pin on the cam hollowed it out so it would rock back and forth 1 tooth. and yes, it was torqued down to 53 foot lbs. the intake was set at 83 and is ok....

i have to check the cam though bc the dowel pin may be damaged- the cam gear is skunk2 stage 1 also. this could have been what caused the tensioner to crap out. welcome to my luck