PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Good first time drifter?

CSphotograph
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Just looking for some opinions. Most of the ones I get from friends are one sided towards whatever car they own, of course.

But, here's the deal:
Right now I have a 98 Volvo S70 GLT. I have this feeling it's going to die on me soon, aka the transmission. That, or my stock turbo's gonna go. But I'd rather be safe than sorry and get a new car soon. And if my Volvo exceeds my expectations, and lasts longer than I think it will, this will be my play car ;D
I'd like to be able to drift, but I don't want anything too hard to learn to drive, because you see, I've never had a manual. ;_; I know how to drive them though, just never had the daily experience.
I really love Rx 7s, but I know them to be money pits at time, especially if you can't get one that was taken care of. But that's just my experience with them.
Most people have been telling me 240s, but I don't know.

What do you guys think?

JDMGRNAV6
09-20-2010, 11:58 PM
get a honda. s2k

jus sayin

CSphotograph
09-21-2010, 12:13 AM
get a honda. s2k

jus sayin

Lol, I won't have /that/ much money to spend on another car...

Elbow
09-21-2010, 06:31 AM
An S2K is a BITCH car to drift, you've obviously never tried it in one.

A 240SX is good if you have money to modify it, in stock form a Civic drifts 20x better, hell even with a few mods a 240 is still a useless pig.

Go E30 or E36 BMW, they have enough power out of the box, parts are dirt cheap, the geometry of the car is top notch, and you only need a few suspension mods and some bolt ons to have a really good "drift" car.

EuroTra$h
09-21-2010, 01:32 PM
My e30 with a 3.73 rear end could slide and drift super easily

skittle_107
09-21-2010, 05:23 PM
miata yo

Elbow
09-21-2010, 06:47 PM
miata yo

They aren't bad but lack power and lack the ability for long high speed drifts.

Plus it's hard to find a decent cheap one.

allmotorEJ8
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
An S2K is a BITCH car to drift, you've obviously never tried it in one.

A 240SX is good if you have money to modify it, in stock form a Civic drifts 20x better, hell even with a few mods a 240 is still a useless pig.

Go E30 or E36 BMW, they have enough power out of the box, parts are dirt cheap, the geometry of the car is top notch, and you only need a few suspension mods and some bolt ons to have a really good "drift" car.

Good advice. The S13 is a pig, but the S14 is a little better it seems. As between the Nissan's or the BMW's, I would go with the E30 or the E36 as well. I've had an S13 and rode in a few S14's, and now own an E36. The E36 seems to be better to me. I think it just drives better all around, whether it be drift, autox, or just daily driving.

Elbow
09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Good advice. The S13 is a pig, but the S14 is a little better it seems. As between the Nissan's or the BMW's, I would go with the E30 or the E36 as well. I've had an S13 and rode in a few S14's, and now own an E36. The E36 seems to be better to me. I think it just drives better all around, whether it be drift, autox, or just daily driving.

BMW defiantly makes a better chassis, one of the best for sure.

Every BMW I've owned I've been impressed stock at how well they handle. My E39 handled amazingly for a heavy four door luxury car.

They take motorsport knowledge and put it to the street for a well handling smooth driving car. Almost perfect weight distribution, perfect geometry, etc. A 240SX just doesn't have that.

CSphotograph
09-23-2010, 01:13 PM
miata yo

Miata's aren't the best drift cars, like Simon said. The ONLY reason I'd consider one is for gas mileage.

CSphotograph
09-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to be looking into a BMW now. I'll blow my boy out of the water. ;D (He has a s13)

Elbow
09-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Miata's aren't the best drift cars, like Simon said. The ONLY reason I'd consider one is for gas mileage.

And the fact that they handle better than most cars on the road...lol

allmotorEJ8
09-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely going to be looking into a BMW now. I'll blow my boy out of the water. ;D (He has a s13)

You can't go wrong. They are a little more to upkeep, but worth every penny.