PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Help me choose a new car!!!!

nvrenough
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I know, I know... "get what you want", etc... I like plenty of different cars, and wouldn't buy something just because someone else says I should... so this is not the issue. I just haven't had enough experience IN the cars that I want, with the mods I'd want, so I'm looking for some opinions from those that have driven/ridden in the cars I'm thinking of... also, to open my eyes to cars I haven't even thought about.

Here are the basics I'm looking for:

I want something that rides smooth enough in the city without a lot of road noise, squeaks, etc. but also something I can go around a corner in and has good pickup. Depending on the model, I might do coilovers, or some sort of lowered suspension, I would like it to sit nicely and handle really well, so I'm willing to put in the money to get it to that point if the stock setup isn't adequate.

I'd really like to have a turbo, whether stock (WRX, GTi, etc.) or something I can add a turbo to without too much headache/expense... mostly for the feeling of the pull and the exhaust note/BOV... just kind of gets the adrenaline pumping. I am not into racing, track or otherwise... I just enjoy driving. I rarely drive faster than traffic is moving, so I don't need massive horsepower or anything like that, just something that can get up and go if I tell it to.

The cars I have in mind are:

WRX, STi or not (opinions on that as well, which is better)
GTI
E46 M3
350Z
G35/7

Budget: I'd like to stay under $20K but still get something with less than 50k miles that's in really good shape. Obviously the M3 would be more, and I'd be willing to go up to $30k for an M3 but again, it'd have to be a solid example with low miles.

So, what do you guys think? If it was your money what would you do... and if I'm completely mad in my considerations, then what would you get if you had open choice?

I'm just tired of the Accord Coupe... and I've only had it for two months... thought I'd enjoy an automatic grandpa car, but I miss my sitck shift 4Banger!

Digipix
09-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I just traded in a 2009 4door gti with 20k, and a 07 4door gti 50k. I could have you out the door under or around 20k. Im at jim ellis VW Atl let me know

DynamicSound
09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Actually every one of those cars except the G37 you can get well below 20k. The G37 would start around 23k. Just depends on what year you want. Plus, if you meet a wholeseller you can get it much cheaper. A friend of mine just bought a 06 G35 Coupe fully loaded with nav/brembo/sports package with rims for $8500. It only had 50,000 miles on it.

nvrenough
09-18-2010, 11:10 PM
^WHAT?!?!?!

That's a sickeningly good deal. I'd really like to get something along the lines of a 2dr GTI or a WRX, but hell, if I could get a G35 in solid shape with mileage that low I'd be on board with it.

DynamicSound
09-19-2010, 10:42 PM
G35's are very fun cars and give you a luxury feel too. I just sold my sedan not too long ago and most likely getting a new coupe shortly. If you can find a wholeseller and get hooked up, you will be surprised what you can get. Another guy I know got a 2004 Mercedes S500 for like $10,500 from a wholeseller.

nvrenough
09-20-2010, 12:09 AM
G35's are very fun cars and give you a luxury feel too. I just sold my sedan not too long ago and most likely getting a new coupe shortly. If you can find a wholeseller and get hooked up, you will be surprised what you can get. Another guy I know got a 2004 Mercedes S500 for like $10,500 from a wholeseller.

how do I get a wholesaler?

jdmkr3w
09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
well to tell u tha truth all of them cars r great cars there all fun to drive and fun good luck in picking one i would pick a G35 i jus like those

antiv6
09-23-2010, 01:01 PM
all the cars you named are nice, just pick what you like the best.

jumpin800agl
09-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Buy my G37 coupe. 2008 6mt black/black leather, KW V3 Coilovers and Volk wheels. Price very negotiable.

miro_gt
09-24-2010, 07:50 PM
somehow I dont believe what DynamicSound said, but anyways back to the question:

- 350z and G35 have oil issues, check around, I was gonna buy one (03 G35) but reconsidered. Look for those cars from 2007 and up, wont be cheap though;
- M3s are generally good. Besides the fact that those run expensive, I've heard people have problems with leaking differential at the rear end, but I guess not a biggie;
- GTI is supposed to be OK, little fun car to drive. Still all turbos start leaking oil past 50k miles so have that in mind. A friend of mine had one, it was running good against my stock turbo D Civic (232whp/206wtq)
- I never really liked STIs, besides the stupid sound and look, the only good thing is the 4x4 part, which most of the time would only cause more fuel consumption. You can make like 450HP easy on stock block though, but the car is not very light too.

so from what you posted I would have a tough choice between M3 and G37, however both will be on the expensive side.

on the cheaper side, take a look at the Hyundai Genesis V6 manual, and Golf 4R32 :)

nreggie454
09-24-2010, 11:09 PM
somehow I dont believe what DynamicSound said, but anyways back to the question:
- M3s are generally good. Besides the fact that those run expensive, I've heard people have problems with leaking differential at the rear end, but I guess not a biggie;
- GTI is supposed to be OK, little fun car to drive. Still all turbos start leaking oil past 50k miles so have that in mind. A friend of mine had one, it was running good against my stock turbo D Civic (232whp/206wtq)

on the cheaper side, take a look at the Hyundai Genesis V6 manual, and Golf R32 :)

I can't really speak on G/Z cars, so I left that out.

I have heard that E36 M3s have had weak rear subframes. I don't know if that was fixed in the E46, but is worth looking up since it isn't cheap to fix.
I have an '03 Audi A4 1.8T (same engine as GTI) with almost 80k miles, and the turbo doesn't leak oil at all. My mother also drives a newer VW Jetta GLI which also hasn't had any issues with oil leaking anywhere.

R32s are really sick, though. They are definitely tough to find, but worth the investment. Very impressive in stock form.

Liltoua
09-25-2010, 01:03 AM
You're going to get very bias opinions on here. You have a lot of different crowds here. I would say get the STI LOL. Everyone and their mother has a G35/350Z. The new M3 are sick. Can't say much for GTI's....although I've always wanted one, but there FWD cars =(.

Catnip
09-25-2010, 12:21 PM
'05 STi
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/YMMA9MTuyIM/0.jpg

msanch24
09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Speaking from the opinions of many well respected sources, the m3 is the most car for the money, hands down.