PDA

View Full Version : General Chat yamaha r1 or suzuki gsxr

marcos713
09-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm planning on getting a bike in a few months and I'm debating between a r1 and a gsxr. I'm just looking for any personal experience any1 has had with either of these bikes and any known common problems either 1 may have and which 1 is easier to work on and mod.

Thanks for any input :goodjob:

Bacon
09-13-2010, 02:47 AM
IMO, the Yamaha was way too uncomfortable given that the gas tank kinda comes to a rounded off point and I slid into it a few times. The GSXR wasn't bad but it was a pig and the seat was too wide for my taste.

My pick is the Honda CBR.

jumpin800agl
09-13-2010, 04:40 AM
I have liked both, but have only ridden GSX-R's.

David88vert
09-13-2010, 06:25 AM
I've had several of each, and various years.
The first thing to ask is what years are you considering (price range you are in).
Second, how/where do you ride - just street, trackdays, etc. If track, which ones mainly.
Third, are you looking for light weight or pure hp?

Elbow
09-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Is this your first bike?

I've ridden both and liked the GSXR more, it felt more ride able on a daily basis at least. I think the R1 looks better though.

marcos713
09-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I've had several of each, and various years.
The first thing to ask is what years are you considering (price range you are in).
Second, how/where do you ride - just street, trackdays, etc. If track, which ones mainly.
Third, are you looking for light weight or pure hp?

My price range is about 5k max.

I'm not gonna use it for racing or the track, just a daily driver. I've always liked gsxr's and r1s so I'm really wanting to get 1 of these.

Doesn't really matter seeing as I'm not gonna use it for racing, but I wouldn't want a heavy bike tho so I'd have to say light weight.

Is this your first bike?

I've ridden both and liked the GSXR more, it felt more ride able on a daily basis at least. I think the R1 looks better though.

Yea its gonna be my first bike.

Yea imo the r1 looks better to and I heard it has better handling than a gsxr....that true?

marcos713
09-13-2010, 09:22 AM
Double post

marcos713
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Double post

David88vert
09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
My price range is about 5k max maybe even mid 5k.

I'm not gonna use it for racing or the track, just a daily driver. I've always liked gsxr's and r1s so I'm really wanting to get 1 of these.

Doesn't really matter seeing as I'm not gonna use it for racing, but I wouldn't want a heavy bike tho so I'd have to say light weight.

Yea its gonna be my first bike.

Yea imo the r1 looks better to and I heard it has better handling than a gsxr....that true?

First off, I wouldn't suggest a 1 liter for a first bike. Get a cheap, basic bike to ride for a few months first. I would suggest a SV650 to start. Much more comfortable, cheaper insurance, cheaper to fix if you drop it, etc.

If you are determined to get a 1 liter:
If you are going to be in that price range, look towards a 2002-2003 R1. It's light, quick, has a great FI system. It is pretty quick on handling. It has a lot of low and mid end torque, compared to the 04-06 which has top end, but has less torque.

If you just are determined not to get a starter bike, but not sure on a 1000, I have an 04 GSXR750 here for sale. $4500 obo for it.

Elbow
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah I wouldn't get a liter bike for a first either. I went from a 250 Ninja to a 1000 one day and it's not really the straight line speed that's scary or anything there is just a lot more room for error in cornering such as exiting and what not.

I agree with the post above, the SV650 is an awesome bike I rode one of those as well, he knows more about bikes than me as well I'm sure so...lol

DynamicSound
09-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Based on your price a 02-05 will probably be the best bet. Out of those years, I would perfer the R1...didn't really like Gixxers until the newer body style. Personally, I have a CBR and like it better than both of those.

David88vert
09-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Based on your price a 02-05 will probably be the best bet. Out of those years, I would perfer the R1...didn't really like Gixxers until the newer body style. Personally, I have a CBR and like it better than both of those.

You can't go wrong with a Honda for a street bike. They tend to design reliable, smooth, street bikes.

marcos713
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Yea im hard headed and determined to not start off on a starter bike...my friend has a r6 that I'll prolly be learning on before I actually go out and buy my own bike..

And yea david88vert, I saw that gsxr yesterday on here but too bad I don't the money to buy it atm. I wanna finish my project on my car before I get myself into payments on a bike.

Also how much am I most likely going to be paying for insurance? I am currently with state farm on my parent's policy. I pay about 90/month for fullcover on my 98 gsr b/c I have a few discounts for good grades, watching a video they gave me and another 1 for no tickets I believe.

sirkus
09-13-2010, 11:55 AM
If you're looking for something is comfortable. Get a zx6.. or a zx10. You can find zx10's pretty cheap now. And they are beasts! I had to lower mine just to help with keeping the front wheel down with launching. If I had to pick between R1 or GSX I would go GSX. It's more comfortable to me. R1 seemed like a pissed off bee you're riding. CBR is also pretty comfortable.

But I still push for the ZX10R. It's more bike than you'll ever need. And you're positioned so well that your legs can easily squeeze the tank to keep your hands from going to sleep lol

Bacon
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Yea im hard headed and determined to not start off on a starter bike...my friend has a r6 that I'll prolly be learning on before I actually go out and buy my own bike..

And yea david88vert, I saw that gsxr yesterday on here but too bad I don't the money to buy it atm. I wanna finish my project on my car before I get myself into payments on a bike.

Also how much am I most likely going to be paying for insurance? I am currently with state farm on my parent's policy. I pay about 90/month for fullcover on my 98 gsr b/c I have a few discounts for good grades, watching a video they gave me and another 1 for no tickets I believe.

My insurance went from two cars at 81/month to a Focus and a bike for 73/month. Don't start on a 1K especially if you have never ridden before.

Z0_o6
09-13-2010, 03:52 PM
there is not one single good reason for you to start on a 1000. a 600 is more than enough to learn on for a while.

David88vert
09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
there is not one single good reason for you to start on a 1000. a 600 is more than enough to learn on for a while.

True statement.
If you're riding a 600 to its limits, you need to get off the street and onto a track.

BLK JDM
09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I've had both and they are totally different beasts. My GSXR was balls out fast but seemed to handle a little heavier and slower. The R1 is more refined but you have to get used to the powerband. It handles amazing. The GSXRs are cheaper to mod and the lists of parts is undending. The R1 costs more to mod but the fit and finish to me is 10x better. I just sold an immaculate 08 GSXR 1000 to return to the R1 camp. People think I'm crazy but it's all about preference. Hope this helps.

redneckhatch
09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
The best thing to do is go the dealership and sit on both to see which is more comfortable to you and has the better feel. But my choice is the gsxr

redciv1
09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Speaking from a new rider of 18 months or so and one who has respected bikes since high school(38 now), a 600 is more than enough to learn on. You really don't understand how much power can get you in trouble. Or how quickly the bike excelerates. Gas it too much while exiting a corner and you have your self a nice little tank slapper. Don't matter how fast your car is, a bike is just that much quicker and faster. Even my big, heavy slow(compared with modern SS bikes) Katana will seem fast compared to a car. I took a MSF course and still laid my bike down twice. Once at 5 months. I was turning around in the drive way in the morning(dew on grass) and the biggie was after 8 months of riding. I came to fast in a corner and INEXPERIENCE cause me to stand the bike up instead of leaning more in the curve. Don't let that ego get the best of you. I'm 6 feet 240 pounds and ride a 94 Suzuki Katana. Katana's aren't super fast and may not handle all that good, but it's comfortable(commute 110 miles/day) cheap(paid $1000) and fun to ride. BTW, in terms of insurance you would want to call the insurance company first to get a quote on each bike. I did not get a bike in my younger years because insurance was $300-400 month. BTW, TAKE THE MSF COURSE...PLEASE.

ftp
09-14-2010, 10:17 AM
first off, insurance on a japanese litre bike is insane. Try about 3k a year for full coverage....yes 3 thousand. I say go get that thousand cc bike, just take out a BIG life insurace policy and put me as beneficiary.. all seriousness,you WILL wreck. Everyone does but you will prolly do it sooner and harder on a thou. A 600 is the way to go. 90% of people cant ride a 600 to its full potential anyway. I actually have better laptimes on my 600 than on my 1000. bottom line, 600 is all the bike you need

marcos713
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Too many things to quote but yea after some research and asking bikers, I see a litre bike is a bad idea to be my first bike. So yea Ima go for a 600 if not 750. I might be learning on my friends r6 and either way I'm not planning on buying my bike until early next year. And yes I am goin to be taking the bike classes. My manager told me its about 300 but that its worth it and you get your full license right after. For the time being ima going to be shopping around for a decent priced bike...

How much would I expect to pay for a 600-750 gsxr? Insurance wise

redciv1
09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Good deal sir. Understand, we are not trying to stop you from riding, just want to make sure you are around for the long run. Oh yeah, course is $175 up at the Honda Rider course in Alpharetta. $300 sounds like the Harley Davidson course. Same course, just different bikes and cost more. Also subscribe to georgiasportbike.com. Some of the guys here are on gsb also.

Bacon
09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Depending on driving record and insurance history and your age, insurance shouldn't be that bad. My insurance went down taking off one car and adding the bike.

marcos713
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
^^yea I might be stubborn/hard headed sometimes but I knw when to take advice, that's why I posted this up. So what all is included in the course? From what my manager told me, they teach you how to ride and go through a course they have for you and at the end of the course you can get your license...

My driving record isn't bad, I only have a no seat belt ticket and a ticket for being to low... I'm 19 and I've been on my parents insurance ever since I've had my permit (15). Right now there are 4 cars on the policy and the bike will be added on as the 5th.

Bacon
09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I am not sure about the course as I never took it but from what I was told it isn't all that hard.

Z0_o6
09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
The MSF course is money WELL spent. They teach you all the basics of bike control etc.

Also, being that you're 19 the insurance will be high regardless.

David88vert
09-15-2010, 07:08 AM
The MSF course is money WELL spent. They teach you all the basics of bike control etc.

Also, being that you're 19 the insurance will be high regardless.

X2

sirkus
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm 26 and my full coverage insurance quote was 2700/yr for my ZX10. So I had it added to my dad's policy with me as the primary driver. My 76 KZ900 and my 09 ZX10 now only runs about 190/mo for insurance.

My 01 CBR600F4i was liability only with uninsured motorist and it cost 95/mo. So if possible find something you can pay off first.
I agree with most of these guys. I also took the safety course. I did it at Earl Smalls Harley Davidson in Marietta. I think it was called The Riders Edge. I learned a LOT there and it will either make you or break you on whether or not your want to ride. I saw people come in on the first day and not come back. It cost me 275 but that was back in 2004. I had a lot of experience riding, but I learned a lot about turning and stopping.

Also.. I've been riding since 2001 and I've yet to lay a bike down. I've put over 7k miles on the zx10.. well over 20k on my CBR. Had a close call with someone pulling out in front of me, but really.. If you know you don't want to lay it down, take it easy. How many people on here have laid down a bike while they were doing the speed limit and they were paying their full attention?

You can go through a curve as many times as you want slow. You can only go through it too fast one time. Just stay with the safe option :goodjob:

1moreaccord
09-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Speaking from a new rider of 18 months or so and one who has respected bikes since high school(38 now), a 600 is more than enough to learn on. You really don't understand how much power can get you in trouble. Or how quickly the bike excelerates. Gas it too much while exiting a corner and you have your self a nice little tank slapper. Don't matter how fast your car is, a bike is just that much quicker and faster. Even my big, heavy slow(compared with modern SS bikes) Katana will seem fast compared to a car. I took a MSF course and still laid my bike down twice. Once at 5 months. I was turning around in the drive way in the morning(dew on grass) and the biggie was after 8 months of riding. I came to fast in a corner and INEXPERIENCE cause me to stand the bike up instead of leaning more in the curve. Don't let that ego get the best of you. I'm 6 feet 240 pounds and ride a 94 Suzuki Katana. Katana's aren't super fast and may not handle all that good, but it's comfortable(commute 110 miles/day) cheap(paid $1000) and fun to ride. BTW, in terms of insurance you would want to call the insurance company first to get a quote on each bike. I did not get a bike in my younger years because insurance was $300-400 month. BTW, TAKE THE MSF COURSE...PLEASE.

Just how FAST will it excelerate?

It's all about the driver, always has been 90% rider, 10% bike. 250, 600, 1000. All can kill you, but I agree there is GENERALLY more margin in smaller cc bikes. That being said, the MSF course will be 10x worth the money being that you will be a better driver b/c of it! I just took it and it's pretty good. What you will receive is a CERTIFICATE for insurance and a complete run-down of the testing the DMV uses. You still always have to test at the DMV.

IMO - Go supermoto! Sport bikes make Harleys look like pigs.. and supermoto makes sport bikes look like pigs! :taun:

marcos713
09-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Again, too much to quote lol.
But yea, I made up my mind about taking the course as soon as my manager told me about it. And as far as insurance, its going to be under my parents policy like my teg. I'm on the policy as well but like every1 knows its cheaper to be on the policy with your parents if your young. I'm not really all that worried about insurance b/c like I said I only pay like 90/month for fullcover. Most likely I'm going to be getting a bike from a dealership just b/c I know I'm not gonna have all 5k or so in hand to buy 1 on the spot. I'm just waiting for my bonus early next year for a good down payment.

DynamicSound
09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Def take the MSF coarse...I took it at a Harley dealership...we rode the Buell's. $300, learned a lot, got to practice on the bike (500cc) and if you pass you get to go get your license without having to take any test at the DMV.

sirkus
09-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Def take the MSF coarse...I took it at a Harley dealership...we rode the Buell's. $300, learned a lot, got to practice on the bike (500cc) and if you pass you get to go get your license without having to take any test at the DMV.

Did you have a problem with people crashing into you while stopped waiting in line? I had this old lady and some Hispanic woman that didn't speak hardly any english they both hit me about 3 times each. One time it knocked me off. Of course I was watching them coming up on me and I was prepared for a hit. Needless to say... they both failed.

If you buy a bike new.. be careful. The dealers like to rip new assholes on bikes. They wanted over 10k for my bike. I checked on my phone and got a MSRP price of it and that allowed me talk them down a good bit. I got it 500 under MSRP which was $9k.
Just do your research before you make a choice on their floor. :goodjob:

Sinfix_15
11-22-2010, 10:29 PM
All bikes are fast enough to do something stupid on. So get which ever one you think looks the best. Of those 2 options, id go with the R1.......

but.. no love for Honda??!?
http://www.rocketrr.com/images/forums/botm/bk_botm_19.jpg