PDA

View Full Version : so a tree falls on my neighbors house and no one is around to see it...

chuck
03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
who is liable?? so i just noticed a tree leaning from my yard over onto my neighbors house and i'm sure they'll be at my front door as soon as they see it. so does anyone know who has to pay for the repairs??

Kristi
03-31-2005, 05:57 PM
i believe you have to if it is on your property.

jonnyboy0150
03-31-2005, 06:00 PM
dude that sucks massive wang! i wish that would happen to my neighhbors tho for all the times their dog comes and shits in my yard. good luck with that bro!

Nittanys1
03-31-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah im pretty sure it is ur fault...but thats only my guess....let us know what happens...

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 06:09 PM
no, it isn't your fault unless the tree is dead. Basically, where ever the tree lands - is the new tree owner.

We had a tree fall on our house during Ivan last year and caused thousands in damage -- we (actually our insurance) paid for the damage.

But as a good neighbor, you should offer to help cover their deductible :)

BufordŽ
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
who is liable?? so i just noticed a tree leaning from my yard over onto my neighbors house and i'm sure they'll be at my front door as soon as they see it. so does anyone know who has to pay for the repairs??

That exact thing happend to us when we had the hurricane come through last year, just before NOPI. The ground was so saturated, that the tree in our neighbor's yard, uprooted fell onto our brand new house, then rolled off and fell on my mom's car.

Our HOI paid for it. Although, our car insurance paid for her car, I believe. I'll check real quick. Yeah, my dad said our HOI did all of it. :mad: In words of my father: "It's a 'shit happens' " rule.

Good luck, Chuck.

Fuck you, RP.

BufordŽ
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
So that mean's it's your neighbor's problem :D
Sorry, I didn't say that in my first post.

chuck
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
yeah we had 3 fall on our house and 2 others that fell in the yard (one ripping the power line right out of the siding) during that last month long spee of storms. i don't really think it was dead but it, along with the other 50 trees in our year, was just really tall and skinny. pretty much everytime we get a heavy rain and the ground gets soaked one will fall, we had 2 removed last year that were dead and right next to the house but we really can't cut down EVERY tree.

no knock yet. there is a car in the driveway but i think it's the kids.

chuck
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
So that mean's it's your neighbor's problem :D
Sorry, I didn't say that in my first post.
sweet, good to know. it doesn't look like it did much damage at all, just barely broke through the overhang of the roof, and then it snapped and the top part is just sitting in their yard. i'll be more than glad to help them cut it all up so i can have some more firewood :)

...and yes, i'll have pictures first thing in the morning!

BufordŽ
03-31-2005, 06:39 PM
i'll be more than glad to help them cut it all up so i can have some more firewood :)

...and yes, i'll have pictures first thing in the morning!

Lol, Liar! You just want a good reason to use a chain saw! Oh yeah, so when are going to get this car?

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Here are the pics of our house last year when the tree fell..yea, that brick thing is our house and our deck. But I now have a new sunroom and new deck and new roof :)

chuck
03-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Lol, Liar! You just want a good reason to use a chain saw! Oh yeah, so when are going to get this car?

haha, so sue me!!! i'll wear my hockey mask while i'm cutting it up too!!!

yeah i dunno about the car, i am still talking to the dude about it. i've also got my car for sale too (in the FS section :goodjob: ), if it sell then i'll just buy his car with cash and have some extra money left over.

chuck
03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
ok so my dog started going crazy so i went to see what was up and now the power company is out there doing something...lol

Kermit
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
That tree appears to have been vary much alive. Did it fall as a result of the storms? If it was alive, the claim will be made on their homeowners policy, and their decutible will apply. As a general rule, most insurance providers allow up to $500.00 beyond the decutible amount for the tree removal. In other words, if the home was damaged and repairs are needed, they will have to pay they decutible and once that's satisfied, their incurance policy will probably cover up to $500 to have the tree removed. Do you by chance know who they are insured with?

Pebbles
03-31-2005, 07:15 PM
my parents had a tree in their yard that fell towards our neighbors house...luckily their trees caught it before it hit their house...but my parents were the ones who had to pay for it to be cut down

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Kermit -- those are pictures of the tree that fell on our house last year as a result of IVAN. It belonged to our neighbor. However, since it landed on our house, our home owner's policy took care of it.

Kermit
03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Kermit -- those are pictures of the tree that fell on our house last year as a result of IVAN. It belonged to our neighbor. However, since it landed on our house, our home owner's policy took care of it.

I should have looked to see who posted the pictures, oops.

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
no worries -- big tree tho, huh!

Kermit
03-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'd say. I work for an insurance company and am part of the catastrophe team. Last summer's storms were awful, good for the paychecks, but awful in every other regard. I was down in Florida for a couple of weeks and I have never seen so much devastation, but that's why I do what I do. I'm not sure who you're insured with, but I hope you were taken care of.

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 07:51 PM
We were -- State Farm wrote us a couple of checks and we general contracted the job so we came out on top! However, I can't say that I love my peaceful, tree swaying yard any longer. I was at home when it hit - freaked me out to say the least!

Kermit
03-31-2005, 07:58 PM
And that would be who I work for, I'm glad we took care of you!

TKellarB
03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
:) you work for a very good company with a lot of loyal followers, like me!

chuck
03-31-2005, 09:12 PM
haha, so i just got my power back!